Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

WINNING

Training with Nabers and Chase! 

You can bet the first half of that interview clip really impressed the staff

Keon quickly becoming a favorite around the league

The gift that keeps on giving! This guy is amazing. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, wppete said:

The gift that keeps on giving! This guy is amazing. 

If this guy can produce on the field, he will become one of the top 3 favorite players around the league due to his demeanour and almost child-like innocence. 

Don't ever change, kid. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Frankly, I think you need to have a little faith in Beane and McDermott.  I hear all of what you say, and I saw Bado's language that you quoted.   I think your fears are unfounded.  

McDermott doesn't put guys on the field for extended plays if they can't do what they're expected to do.   They will move Coleman along at the pace that is appropriate for him.  

I don't know Xs and Os, but I think you're overly concerned about him getting off the line of scrimmage.   First, in his first snaps in the regular season, the coaches are going to put him in position to get easy releases, however they do it.  They're going to put him in positions where he can succeed.  In other words, I am confident they understand the "path to success" idea, and they will be mindful of that.  In other words, I don't think Bado's correct (surprise, surprise) that the Bills will throw him out there because they need a #1 receiver.  He'll play as he's ready to play. 

I'm not ready to assume that Coleman will not have a major role early in the season.   He may grow into that role faster than we think.   But on the assumption that he simply isn't ready to carry a big load, then I can't tell you who the starting group will be.  I think Beane's not done working on the receiver room, but if he is, it's because they're confident they can get it done in the front half of the season while they're waiting for Coleman to get up to speed.  

Personally, I think we'll be seeing a lot of Coleman by game six, if not earlier.  I think they'll find enough ways for him to succeed that he'll start seeing the field regularly, and once that happens, he'll start making plays that get the attention of the defenses.  

I was just looking at his college stats.  Maybe he benefitted from step down in competition at Florida State, but 11 receiving touchdowns in 50 catches is eye-opening, as is #3 nationally in punt returns.  In his early snaps, I think the Bills are going to be looking for opportunities where he can get open with some room to run after the catch.  

I'm not worried.  Sure, he could flop, but I don't think so. 

I once listened to an interview with a scout.  He attributed the high miss rate during the draft to the fact that scouting is a predictive science/art.  He explained that very, very few college players are good enough to play in the NFL.  He did mention some difference among positions groups but, generally speaking, nearly all college players have to get better before they'll be good pros. 

A scout has to predict who's going to get stronger, bigger, and faster.  Who's going to devote themselves to the weight room and playbook.  Who's going to have the maturity and discipline to sign a huge contract, stay hungry, and work every day.   These predictions include physical, emotional, and psychological factors.   There's a lot of (informed) guesswork going on.

None of us can know how much Coleman will grow as a player (there are some natural/genetic limits involved) nor how fast his growth will happen.  That's why I take the guesswork of fans and media pundits with a grain of salt.  He seems like the kind of guy who will put in the work so that's a plus.  And Beane and his staff, with all their due diligence, thought him worthy of our first pick so that's encouraging to me, too.  But there's no certainty here.  All we can do know is hope.       

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, wppete said:

Man among children lol

Pretty sure there's a hoop in the training facility - should fit right in there w/ 3 pt shooting and HORSE games (slam dunk contests?)

Edited by stevewin

33 minutes ago, wppete said:

I do wonder if his basketball experience actually has anything to do with his lack of separation on routes.    Basketball is largely played in close quarters and plays made against contested defense get a lot more "likes" from observers.   It's not even close.   I would often slow down on a breakaway to make the defender try hard and look personally defeated at the basket.   It's part of the fun of that game.   I can't relate to "posterizing" an opponent but uncontested dunks aren't sh!t compared to dunking ON an opponent.   Even if the reality is that the opponent was totally out-leveraged and was just compelled to go thru the motion of attempting to stop the play.    

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, wppete said:

This reminds me of when my son left high school and their basketball team started winning BIG the following year. The coach was all over the news and the newspaper saying how the kids had grown in the program and finally bought into the system. It was all about the program and the system. He gave very little credit to the kid who went on to play in the NBA for a few years. What an idiot. HE was the reason my son played soccer instead of point guard as a senior. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

In my part of the world the story is told that Shane Conlan got the last scholarship offered in that particular class after PSU recruiters watched him play a HS basketball game.  Seeing this, Keon shows elite body control as he drives the lane, does the 360 dunks, etc.  That seems like a good skill that translates for a bigger WR to separate and make himself available for the ball.  I can't see how he would be limited.  Teams might have a problem matching up the right kind of defender with him.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If this guy can produce on the field, he will become one of the top 3 favorite players around the league due to his demeanour and almost child-like innocence. 

Don't ever change, kid. 

Might be a weird comparison but for NBA fans, his personality feels like if Giannis Antetokounmpo grew up in America lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I can accept a chiefs trade, but I draw the line at a patriots trade 

Can you imagine if that had happened back to back, this forum would have been a scorched crater.

• Haha (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Can you imagine if that had happened back to back, this forum would have been a scorched crater.

The servers went down as it is. If we did that, I bet the servers would have exploded and taken @Simon and the other admins with it 

• Haha (+1) 1

Never in my life have I bought an nfl jersey, but I’m seriously considering getting this kids. Just not crazy about the number 0.

He is just so likable 

• Like (+1) 2