Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mango said:

"I am intentionally condescending, arrogant, and disrespectful to people"

I will take "People who are negative additions to every community anywhere for 1000, Alex"

You hit the Daily Double!!! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah.

I think one of Dorsey's weaknesses was that his offense was reactive instead of attacking. Instead of saying "this is what we're gonna do, and we're gonna put you in a bind", I think his offense was predicated on the idea of "we always have an answer for what you show defensively". It was focused on always having the "right" answer to whatever the defense presented. They'd start really slow until they saw what the opposing defense was gonna be doing, then they'd build the "right" gameplan based on that. At least that's how it seemed to me.

At some point during Dorsey's second season, one or more of the players (I wanna say Josh, but I can't remember for sure) said something like "we need to get back to dictating to defenses and not worry so much about what they're doing, but instead say 'here's what WE'RE doing' and make them stop us". Something like that. And that makes a lot of sense.

My hope is that Brady installs a heavily matchup-based offense that attacks defenses, rather than waiting for them to attack first. That he moves his diverse group of skill players all around the formation and gives defensive coordinators headaches. That the Bills offense gets back to thinking a bit less, and instead just having fun out there and attacking.

One thing to watch this season with Brady is how he runs things when we are not in "do or die" mode (i.e., in a position where we're willing to let Josh run loose if necessary b/c our backs are against the wall re making the playoffs).  As with many things, it'll be about finding the right balance with Josh (don't reign him in too much but don't let him take a lot of hits running the ball).  I'd like to see a diverse, creative, unpredictable attack tailored to the opponent . . . But I guess that pretty much goes without saying!  Go Bills.

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Mango said:

"I am intentionally condescending, arrogant, and disrespectful to people"

I will take "People who are negative additions to every community anywhere for 1000, Alex"

For what it's worth, "I have spoken" is basically 1B to "This is the way"'s 1A.

As in, it's just kinda goofy and he's likely having a giggle while you are working yourself up over a Star Wars quote.

He didn't attack anybody on a personal level, just dropped a Mandolorian quote.  I think you can probably ease off, here.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Perk71 said:

Go Bills!!

I have spoken...

I wonder how many people have spoken, but they were on “Ignore”. Is this a tree falling in the woods type of situation?  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

They kept saying he played two sports for several years in college, what as the other sport?

He played on the Michigan State basketball team. That is no joke level basketball under Tom Izzo. 

EDIT: looks like he only played 6 games before redshirting. But still, that is serious basketball. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Hey! He has spoken!

Did he say Keon is going to work out just fine? That’s what I keep coming here to hear. It’s okay if you’re lying to me, I just want to hear he’s the right choice.

I don’t know what to think. I hear he’s slow and he looks slow, but he’s one of the fastest. I hear he runs lousy routes, but people like Chris Simms say he’s a great route runner. Maybe he’s seeing something I’m not. I freely admit I never played QB in the NFL. 

So, we wait and wait to see some football. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, stevewin said:

Curious to hear from locals what fans on Buffalo talk radio are saying about this pick - if there is a group with such strong negative feelings as on here.  My brother went to FSU and watches all their games and he was really surprised when I mentioned the vocal negative contingent on here.  As someone who saw all his games at FSU (some live) he said Coleman's the best FSU receiver he's ever seen in 30+ years watching the team, and believes he will "be a force"

That's because a lot of fans experience watching college football consists of watching the NFL Combine.

7 hours ago, finn said:

We should have a thread on all the posting tics that drive us crazy. Me, I cringe at the use of "compliment" instead of "complement" (e.g., "Shakir compliments Coleman beautifully") and "zero chance," as in "There is zero chance this draft will help the Bills next year." 

I, too, have spoken. 😀

I'm guilty of that one.  Mea Culpa! ;)

After watching some of his interviews - I like the guy as a person more than any of the other dudes picked ahead of him.

He doesn't seem to have any diva in him, which is rare w/ top receivers - but he also seems to have a ton of confidence.  

I'm really excited about this pick.  Not the best WR in the draft by any means - but he may be the best for the Bills, and Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah.

I think one of Dorsey's weaknesses was that his offense was reactive instead of attacking. Instead of saying "this is what we're gonna do, and we're gonna put you in a bind", I think his offense was predicated on the idea of "we always have an answer for what you show defensively". It was focused on always having the "right" answer to whatever the defense presented. They'd start really slow until they saw what the opposing defense was gonna be doing, then they'd build the "right" gameplan based on that. At least that's how it seemed to me.

At some point during Dorsey's second season, one or more of the players (I wanna say Josh, but I can't remember for sure) said something like "we need to get back to dictating to defenses and not worry so much about what they're doing, but instead say 'here's what WE'RE doing' and make them stop us". Something like that. And that makes a lot of sense.

My hope is that Brady installs a heavily matchup-based offense that attacks defenses, rather than waiting for them to attack first. That he moves his diverse group of skill players all around the formation and gives defensive coordinators headaches. That the Bills offense gets back to thinking a bit less, and instead just having fun out there and attacking.

Yep.

Seems to be a lot of media pundits have gone "the sky is falling" route when discussing the Bills not trading the farm to move up for a top boundary receiver.

Brady's offense featured a lot more run/pass balance, and hitting their slot receivers and Cook after motioning to create mismatches or clearing out zones. Not to mention how much they were feeding Kincaid and Knox.

Pivoting away from boundary plays that were less effective vs the shell defenses and deep safeties and their focus on Diggs to more runs and a better distribution of passes under and around the sticks meant there was less heavy reliance on production from those areas.

Allen was able to get the ball out of his hands more on schedule, we kept the chains moving, and the defense was able to get enough time to stay fresh between possessions and play fast.

We still took our deeper shots, but what we had was not a bad recipe to sustain success.

I also like that there has been more focus on catch radius, hands, and RAC ability with the receivers they have invested in (Shakir, Kincaid, and the book on Coleman should he pan out).

Allen will find ways to feed guys the ball if they are money and don't drop it. Now if Cook could just fix his concentration issues. Just some maddening drops on the doorstep.

Of course a burner that can take the top off a defense and has great hands would be nice, but KC won without that and Miami has two of them and has not been able to get past us so there is more to the recipe.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

The people who think anyone other than MHJ is a slam dunk good pro are delusional. Everyone else has issues and we will have to work with Coleman to improve his route running but anyone who does not realize he is similar to DK Metcalf in profile is not paying attention. He is a big dude who can jump and has hands that catch the ball, he will be fine once he settles into the NFL. I would not bet he is great week 1-8 but I expect 500+ yards, 40+ catches and 5+ tds from week 10 on this year, which would make him a major part of the offense.

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

That's because a lot of fans experience watching college football consists of watching the NFL Combine.

I'm guilty of that one.  Mea Culpa! ;)

Forgiven!

22 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I know something of the oratorical tradition. I was just making a joke, but the fella apparently didn't think it was funny.

I loved it !

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

The more I think about this pick and what we saw from Brady last year, the more I'm talking myself into Coleman being a good fit. (I have spoken...to myself)

Brady did the complimentary football thing but when we did pass it was a lot of hitches and screens...basically lots of stuff close to the LOS with some verticals mixed in, not a lot of complicated routes. Get him the ball quick and let him YAC or block/pick for guys.

I think part of our collective fan problem is we've adopted the mindset that Brady is going to really open up the offense and make it his own in year 2 in which case we maybe we have a raw rookie that will struggle. But what if that's not the plan? What if Brady's 2023 offense is the offense? Coleman can do that. 

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1