Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

2 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Allen is probably sick of his receivers not coming down with 50/50 balls, that's probably why he loves Coleman. Think about the shot he took to Gabe Davis in game 1 against the Jets last year, right through his hands. Think about the Diggs play against KC in the playoffs, right through his hands.

Did you read Colemans drop rate ?

Everything needs context , but not ideal that for sure

10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

yea . But the game has changed to a speed driven one.

And we needed a guy with outside speed.

Not a hater

But not what I thought was needed lol

No GM am I , thats for sure

I miss the old days when it was driven by..........camouflage?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn't say he is setting a low bar, he is saying all the people saying we "didn't replace Diggs and Davis" are not realizing how little production actually had to be replaced.  

What has this team been in the past?  SOFT.  Diggs disappears in the postseason...Davis is not a smart player and had unreliable hands and was one dimensional.  Those were our top 2 guys.  

Now, we drafted a dawg in Coleman, how is open when not open, who has incredible hands and a massive catch radius and a redzone beast.  Then we have Shakir who led the NFL in efficiency, catch rate, and yards per target in his 2nd year who is YAC beast.  Then you have the sure handed Kincaid who is a mismatch for defenses and a big target in redzones.  Then you add in a swiss army knife type guy in Samuel who has had between 50 and 80 catches 4 times (Davis never hit 50 even once) and runs a 4.3 forty and never had a chance to play with a real QB.  

Instead of 2 guys who underachieve in the postseason, who drop passes when it matters (yes Diggs did too), and are too often taken out of games...we now have guys who go out and make plays, guys with sure hands, guys who are tough and cerebral.  

Beane, like myself, got tired of the soft team that wasn't matching the toughness and physicality of its opponents preventing us from making that extra play or two to win these tough games where the other does make those extra plays or two.  

I mean we probably beat KC last year if Diggs doesn't drop the bomb.  Who did the Bills turn to for the go ahead TD on the final drive?  Shakir ran a perfect route open to the endzone before Chris Jones bullied Dawkins back enough to step on Allens foot on the throw causing him to short arm it.  

Diggs and Davis are addition by subtraction...just watch this year.  

Man, that's excellent.  Clear and concise.   When I take a step back and look at what's lost and what's been gained, I'm liking it.  That's the point of my Rockpile.  

I like Josh throwing to these guys, and I suspect there still may be an addition.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn't say he is setting a low bar, he is saying all the people saying we "didn't replace Diggs and Davis" are not realizing how little production actually had to be replaced.  

What has this team been in the past?  SOFT.  Diggs disappears in the postseason...Davis is not a smart player and had unreliable hands and was one dimensional.  Those were our top 2 guys.  

Now, we drafted a dawg in Coleman, how is open when not open, who has incredible hands and a massive catch radius and a redzone beast.  Then we have Shakir who led the NFL in efficiency, catch rate, and yards per target in his 2nd year who is YAC beast.  Then you have the sure handed Kincaid who is a mismatch for defenses and a big target in redzones.  Then you add in a swiss army knife type guy in Samuel who has had between 50 and 80 catches 4 times (Davis never hit 50 even once) and runs a 4.3 forty and never had a chance to play with a real QB.  

Instead of 2 guys who underachieve in the postseason, who drop passes when it matters (yes Diggs did too), and are too often taken out of games...we now have guys who go out and make plays, guys with sure hands, guys who are tough and cerebral.  

Beane, like myself, got tired of the soft team that wasn't matching the toughness and physicality of its opponents preventing us from making that extra play or two to win these tough games where the other does make those extra plays or two.  

I mean we probably beat KC last year if Diggs doesn't drop the bomb.  Who did the Bills turn to for the go ahead TD on the final drive?  Shakir ran a perfect route open to the endzone before Chris Jones bullied Dawkins back enough to step on Allens foot on the throw causing him to short arm it.  

Diggs and Davis are addition by subtraction...just watch this year.  

I understood the point, and I don't disagree with what you are saying. What I am saying is that one should not use the deficiency of the WR numbers for Diggs and Davis in the second half of the season as the baseline by which to measure the achievements of their replacements. Much more should be expected from a putative WR1 and WR2, even if one redistributes the targets and embraces a model that spreads the wealth and deemphasizes traditional roles. If you start with very little production and disappointment in the post-season as the bar to better, it won't be hard to achieve. The validity of Beane's choices needs a more difficult metric as a proper measure.

And I agree that there appears to be a shift towards tougher, more physical players. I am good with that.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

There has to be a reason why JA wanted Keon.  Can someone explain it to me.  I did hear he confessed his love of Josh to McBean.  Is that the main factor? 

Actually @Alphadawg7 kinda explained it. 

Yeah, and think about it...Keon is 6'4" with incredible athleticism, hands, and body control.  Im sure Josh is drooling about throwing fades to him instead of short Diggs that never worked.

When Josh sees Keon actually catching end zone fades and making big catches while making it look easy...

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Josh to Beane:  "Him...thats the guy...get me him"

• Like (+1) 2

Tony Dungy says Keon is the best player selected in the 2nd round, actually when I look outside of Bills fans there seems to be plenty of love for this kid.

We shall see.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This might have been stated already somewhere but there are like 40 pages . I just heard that Keon Coleman is the 1st rookie WR to reach out to Andre Reed. That's pretty awesome and smart trying to get as many football minds to help you especially hall of famers is never a bad thing. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-hall-of-famer-andre-reed-connects-draft-pick-keon-coleman#:~:text=Coleman reached out to Bills,in the NFL and Buffalo.&text=This proactive approach speaks volumes,wearing the blue and red.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, julian said:

Tony Dungy says Keon is the best player selected in the 2nd round, actually when I look outside of Bills fans there seems to be plenty of love for this kid.

We shall see.

I think that the majority of the negativity is from the posters on this board. We spent A LOT of time "scouting" WRs since the season ended. We came to a consensus that if Odunze and Thomas Jr. were not possibilities, then it had to be Mitchell. So, when the Bills went in another direction we had all decided that this was a mistake weeks before the draft. The reaction is predictable. The last time we "scouted" this hard was in 2018; the reaction was even stronger. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I think that the majority of the negativity is from the posters on this board. We spent A LOT of time "scouting" WRs since the season ended. We came to a consensus that if Odunze and Thomas Jr. were not possibilities, then it had to be Mitchell. So, when the Bills went in another direction we had all decided that this was a mistake weeks before the draft. The reaction is predictable. The last time we "scouted" this hard was in 2018; the reaction was even stronger. 

This is exactly correct, hopefully we see the same 2018 results, I have a good feeling

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

I certainly hope that Allen was not involved in this pick.   That is not his job.   If the Bills picked Coleman because Allen wanted him then Beane definitely needs to be fired.  My guess is that the involvement by Allen was prefunctory, sort of like King Charles officially has to approve all legislation before it becomes law.

Coleman fits the high ceiling low floor profile of most early round Beane picks.  Except for the 40 time, he is a freakish athlete whose college stats are not super impressive.  Examples include Allen, Edmunds, Brown, Knox, Elam, and Rousseau.  They are betting on  that can teach him to separate in the pros. Hopefully they are right.

Allen already said he wanted him, and last year he wanted Kincaid. I have no issues with the QB of this team putting in input. 

10 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

So is everyone still against this pick???

Nope! I am excited!

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, julian said:

We shall see.

The kid is a physical freak, has a great mindset, catches the ball, and is only 20 so of course guys are like "yeah you can get something out of him."

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Right…..you are.  But you insinuating that the FO bypassed superior talent in order to fit their philosophy.  In their eyes, they drafted the superior talent.  

I’m not so sure. I think the bills draft players that WANT / are ok with being in buffalo. Unfortunately I can see a reality where there are some prospects that DO not want to play in buffalo (or other spots) for various reasons and it comes across in meetings. I guarantee that factors in their “board” rankings and meshes w the football evaluation 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, balln said:

I’m not so sure. I think the bills draft players that WANT / are ok with being in buffalo. Unfortunately I can see a reality where there are some prospects that DO not want to play in buffalo (or other spots) for various reasons and it comes across in meetings. I guarantee that factors in their “board” rankings and meshes w the football evaluation 

That isn't a wild take tbh, especially in light of Coach Prime's very public comments about advising his guys to avoid cold weather teams. 

Then again, JA17 helps a LOT.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, balln said:

Dont think this matters outside of QB