Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

9 hours ago, papazoid said:

colemans 40 time is faster than cooper kupp's.....just sayin

There’s a reason Coleman didn’t do any of the agility drills and Kupp faired well in them 

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

My biggest issue with this pick is he doesn't fit the type of WR Allen will throw to. 

Keon is never going to get separation, he just won't.  He isn't twitchy enough to do so.  He won't be able to learn it and it's not coming with more reps.  It's never going to be there.

Will Allen throw to a guy that is considered covered?  It's going to take throwing with anticipation  because the ball needs to be high before the defender cant get his position or head around. 

Allen has never shown the desire to do either of these things on a consistent basis.  He would rather run around and wait for a guy to get opened, rather that reading the play and throwing it before guys get separation.

It's just a terrible fit.  His ability to win is also going to come from the slot, so now we have ANOTHER slot guy.

Never say never.  Let’s see what happens when this 20 year old kid gets NFL coaching.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Never say never.  Let’s see what happens when this 20 year old kid gets NFL coaching.  

A coach can't fix his DNA.  You think a coach gave Hill his abilities?  You are both with these things.

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

A coach can't fix his DNA.  You think a coach gave Hill his abilities?  You are both with these things.

I teach physiology and actually with training you can gain some conversion of slow twitch to fast twitch fibers and vice versa.  But coaching will help him clear defenses when getting off the lOS, for example.  How to shield guys when the ball is in the air.  And so on.

• Like (+1) 5

I don’t know how true the “he doesn’t get separation” is, but if so, he better be great at “contested catches”.   

A combo of “can’t get separation” and is not good in terms of “contested catches” is almost a guaranteed failure. 

We will see. 

16 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Yet he caught almost every single ball thrown to him with just TWO drops?!?! WTF there is a stat for everything I guess

He didn't catch almost every ball thrown to him. His catch percentage was only 57% last season. 

When you watch all targets, you'll notice that he has a defender draped all over him on a ton of plays knocking the ball away. 

Edit: his 2022 catch percentage was better - 66%. With fewer contested catches (18% vs 35%) and a higher contested catche rate (62% vs 33%)

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

All the same nonsense we heard when Josh Allen was drafted…

Thank you! I too have not heard this level of dissatisfaction with a draft pick since the "wrong Josh" was picked. 

No one knows how any of these drafted players will translate to the NFL - just need to let it play out & hope that Mcbeane made a wise choice & that Keon becomes the WR that we need (sooner rather than later). What we had the last couple years was not enough to get us over the top. I'm glad that we did not just try to run it back again. I look forward to seeing what happens.    

• Like (+1) 5

For anybody who hasn’t seen it it is both hilarious and wonderful. What a great kid. 

Would have been great to have both him and Tre in the locker room together. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Watch “underdog football fantasy show” on YouTube.

hes a big slot. He’s really not a great contested catch player. The broad stats and the analytics show he’s not. The film shows it. 

but I will allow. He is a unique prospect. He is big, super athletic , poor long speed, great hands . Not sure how he will look at nfl 

if the bills keep him as a big body outside wr. He’s going to give a Gabe Davis like production. Which is to say he might have a big game or two. But he may go 3-4 weeks with 0-1 catches …. Be a blocker on the outside 

it is what it is folks

im not gonna hang my hat on hope with him.

im gonna lay the blame on mcdefense - before Coleman the highest wr they drafted was Gabe Davis at 128. Which is criminal 

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Yet he caught almost every single ball thrown to him with just TWO drops?!?! WTF there is a stat for everything I guess

You should watch his YouTube all targets. He had way more drops than 2 this year 

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

He didn't catch almost every ball thrown to him. His catch percentage was only 57% last season. 

When you watch all targets, you'll notice that he has a defender draped all over him on a ton of plays knocking the ball away. 

Edit: his 2022 catch percentage was better - 66%. With fewer contested catches (18% vs 35%) and a higher contested catche rate (62% vs 33%)

Those are huge discrepancies between years. Any explanation?  I presume caliber of competition is as good if not better in Big 10 as opposed to ACC. Offensive schemes run by Michigan State v. Florida State?  Something else?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We've reached EJ Manuel level of mental gymnastics to try and convince ourselves he's going to be good.

Watching his targets and catches, this kid consistently has DBs draped all over him. 

Yeah looking back at their teammates like:

Kevin Hart Lol GIF

Compare Keon Coleman to Tee Higgins and feel better. Higgins had a slightly faster 40 (4.59 to 4.61) but Coleman had a superior 10 yard split (1.54 vs 1.66).

Colemans 1.54 10 yard split was actually in the 68th percentile among all the WRs in the draft. 

We have multiple burners on this roster, but we have lacked the big, physical WR with some athletic ability for years. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Those are huge discrepancies between years. Any explanation?  I presume caliber of competition is as good if not better in Big 10 as opposed to ACC. Offensive schemes run by Michigan State v. Florida State?  Something else?

I haven't been able to find an all targets video for 2022.

One thing that changed, in 2022 he lined up outside 95% of the time. In 2023 he lined up outside 69%... 

In the few short 2022 videos I've seen, he looks like he's getting open a lot over the middle on crossers and in breaking routes...

Going to need a thorough breakdown of the routes he ran and the differences in scheme. 

• Like (+1) 3