Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Him being this entertaining has to make him at least a little bit faster by virtue of it just being tragic if he didn't work out.

But seriously he nailed that press conference, like it was practically Josh Allenish for saying all the right things.

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s leaving with the cookies. I TOLD YOU he was another Kelvin Benjamin!  😂 

🤣 Not so fast we've already got the footage he only took half a cookie.

• Haha (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah this guy is hilarious, also good tips on when to buy winter coats.

Well, he's not going to be a locker room cancer, I can guarantee that.

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, UmbrellaMan said:

Not taking Ladd McConkey here will haunt the franchise for a good bit. What a whiff by Beane and Co.

The is the receiver Josh wanted. I think he earned the right to have input on  who he wants to throw to since he’s only the entire offense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Frankly not thrilled because I am a Worthy guy and not a Coleman guy. What confuses me most is that this regime seemed to put an emphasis on separation as a key trait for their WR room and I do not see Coleman as a good separator. Watching him, he seems to lack that electricity and speed to his game. His reliance on physicality is something I feel is tough to translate to the NFL

That said, he is physical and in ways very athletic. We’ve missed his big dog, the ball is mine, type of pass catcher. He blocks. He rarely drops the ball. Seems he will get along with JA17. 

Not real excited about him if I’m being honest but keeping an open mind and of course will be screaming my head off for him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Success said:

So, we have the usual "I've watched 10 minutes of youtube on this guy!  He'll be a bust" stuff.

Fans are SO predictable on draft day.  None of you know anything - sorry.

No need to be sorry. Fans can be disappointed that the guy they liked didn't get picked, but the definitive,  over the top claim that this or that guy will be a bust is crazy. I really thought that after the Allen pick, people would have been humbled a little and refrained from posting absolutes before the player even put the uniform on. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

• SDS changed the title to Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State
22 hours ago, finn said:

Like us, maybe Beane got sick of seeing Davis, Cook, and Diggs drop balls. Now Allen has what might be the best all-hands team in the NFL in Kincaid, Shakir, and Coleman. They might not be fast, but they all catch the ball. 

Gabe Davis taught the Bills this one important lesson:

Nothing is more important than catching the football.

We can also thank Gabe for drafting Kincaid and Colemam.

I agree. We may be the best WR-hands team in the league.

It has been said, and I am now fully on board: Keon Coleman has the best BALL SKILLS of any WR in this draft.

• Like (+1) 6

I've read a lot of the comments here but by no means all, and a lot of commentary on the web about Coleman and the Bills drafting him. Here's my take for whatever it may be worth. 

I think Beane is taking a calculated risk in drafting a WR with such both negative and positive elements in his history and profile. I compare it to him drafting Josh Allen in 2018 in that in both cases both negative and positive evaluators could cite evidence to support their view. 

Beane could not move up to get one of the top three receivers and still draft other players to fill the many holes on the current roster. So he bets on the underlying athletic qualities and work ethic of Coleman, the fact that he has not played WR that long, is very young and still learning. His performance in the shuttle rather than his 40 time, etc. If it works out and Coleman is able to refine his native ability, learn better how to beat defensive backs—and if the offense is designed to let him do what he excels in and not immediately force him to do things he can't do (yet), there's a good chance he can, as Allen did, grow into a franchise player. 

It may not pay off, but the other WRs available in his estimation do not have that upside. 

It's a riskier move than drafting some of the other second round receivers, but I think Beane sees it as at least one path giving the Bills a franchise receiver. Coleman is a long way from that now, and is not going to be able to replace Diggs this season, but that's the bet he's making. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, UmbrellaMan said:

Not taking Ladd McConkey here will haunt the franchise for a good bit. What a whiff by Beane and Co.

I’ll take $200 Alex for Famous words also spoken about Josh Rosen 

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The is the receiver Josh wanted. I think he earned the right to have input on  who he wants to throw to since he’s only the entire offense. 

Exactly! Josh should have a say in who’s gonna touch his balls. 

• Haha (+1) 5

Ranked no. 10 WR by CBS Sports.  ABC said he is  a great fit for the Bills.  Seems like he has good hand eye and ball sense.  Satisfied but not thrilled, let's see what he can do.  

RKPLAYERSCHOOLYEARPOSPOS RKHTWT

2Marvin Harrison Jr.Ohio State-WR16-4205

3Malik NabersLSU-WR26-0200

9Rome OdunzeWashington-WR36-3215

17Brian Thomas Jr.LSU-WR46-4205

24Ladd McConkeyGeorgia-WR56-0185

27Adonai MitchellTexas-WR66-4196

31Xavier WorthyTexas-WR76-1172

39Xavier LegetteSouth Carolina-WR86-3227

46Troy FranklinOregon-WR96-3187

53Keon ColemanFlorida State-WR106-4215

For those still freaking out, just talk yourself into Cook playing more snaps out wide now that we have Davis in the backfield. Cook, Shakir, Samuel, Kincaid. Coleman can play the Gabe role and block a lot while he learns how to run routes. It's still an upgrade.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha he's like a big kid. That will be infectious and I imagine it will mesh well with Josh. 

Well to be fair he's only 20...

Can't even drink in America legally... He is a big kid 

Love his personality