Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

10 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Yaaaay the big guy who runs one route and can’t separate against college defensive backs wooooo

This fits our draft philosophy to a T though, it’s just like Edmunds 

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

GROSS 

BIG FAT KELVIN BENJAMIN CLONE

NOOOOO

10 hours ago, sven233 said:

Ugh......  He's slow and doesn't separate. Two traits you just love to see in a WR.  But hey, welcome to Buffalo.

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Respectfully to those that are happy about this pick I just don’t understand how you don’t see, or don’t want to see the comparison to somebody like Benjamin.

That’s not a player you want to be compared to and he compares to him, unfortunately, rather well. 

His highlights (if you watched and I watched him even before the draft) are as much about bad defensive back play as they are about him.

Superlatives: he makes one handed grabs, sometimes, and he can jump for the ball given his size.

Do those one handed grabs look like Josh throws?

So…our first pick is a jumper.  Sorry, but I wanted more.

Go Bills.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

We desperately need wr help after 456 years of not drafting a wr in the top 3 rounds and we enter the deepest Wr draft in decades.  We trade away a pick to the arch enemy who proceeds to draft the player that consensus would say Buffalo should have drafted.  You then proceed to trade away the again to a team that takes the next best option.  You then choose to draft a WR you probably could have got much later, and draft 2 defensive pieces.  We walk away with only Coleman in the deep wr pool.  Wow

*Much* later? Uh, no. Maybe we could have moved down a pick or two. But even that wasn't a guarantee.

When it came to X's with Size that weren't a character question mark (ie Mitchell and Franklin), which is what we were obviously looking for - Coleman and Ja'Lynn Polk was all that was really left.

If you think we could have gotten Coleman "much later" when Ja'Lynn Polk went at Pick 37 - you're just being obtuse because you don't like the pick.

• Like (+1) 1

He definitely plays faster than what his 40 indicates. The basketball background shows and he is relatively smooth and fluid. The hands are just top notch.

Couple that with his attitude and work ethic and I fully expect this kid to be productive. 

The greatest receiver was considered slow, too. It's all about how you work and how much of a competitor you are. Having Josh Allen helps, too

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

We desperately need wr help after 456 years of not drafting a wr in the top 3 rounds and we enter the deepest Wr draft in decades.  We trade away a pick to the arch enemy who proceeds to draft the player that consensus would say Buffalo should have drafted.  You then proceed to trade away the again to a team that takes the next best option.  You then choose to draft a WR you probably could have got much later, and draft 2 defensive pieces.  We walk away with only Coleman in the deep wr pool.  Wow

Seems like lots of misinformation here.  Personally, Worthy and Legette would have been disappointing picks for me.  Before the draft, very few were clamoring for Worthy.  Many fell in love with Legette. Why? He's fast and big.  He also had a few highlight reel moments on youtube.  Coleman's youtube highlights are just as fun. As for drafting him later,  by all accounts, Coleman was going next to the Patriots, who promptly traded their pick the moment after the Bills took him. The deep wide receiver pool remains deep.  Beane of course addressed other needs on the roster, as he should.  We just watched the Chiefs win their 2nd straight super bowl with a laughably bad receiver room and an elite defense.

You're fine, but the armchair gm's on this board are absurd.  The Bills have the 2nd best record in the NFL since Beane has been here.  He's good at every phase of his job....trades, free agency, and drafting.  Does he have his misses?  Does Josh throw interceptions??  That's sports.  You win some and you lose some.  But he wins a hell of a lot more than he loses.  Enjoy the excellence of this team over the next decade.  Whenever you get anxious, just say..."In Beane I Trust".  He will always come through and put a winner on the field for us.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’ll put my trust in beane here.   I agree - not the WR I wanted for all the reasons stated.  But there are still some good WRs left - and mid/late round WRs bloom all the time (see Diggs!).  

right now we have Coleman, Shakir, Hollis, Samuel, Kinkaid and Knox.  Toss in basically a rookie with Shorter and whatever hope you can muster for Hamler.  Add in one or two more kid round lottery players.  It’s not a bad group.  No superstar, but 6-8 good players.  Plus we still have the option to add in another player (OBJ, Higgins, Ayiuk) etc.  Beans always grams a couple guys late (Sheffield etc. )

And we filled a key spot in safety and DT with solid guys.  

so No, I’m not thrilled.  But I see how this could work.  And other than Elam, Beane has proven to be a pretty good evaluator of talent. 

so we’ll see.   Go find a Gabe Davis or Stevie Johnson or countless others in the next 4 rounds and none of this will matter.  

28 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Seems like lots of misinformation here.  Personally, Worthy and Legette would have been disappointing picks for me.  Before the draft, very few were clamoring for Worthy.  Many fell in love with Legette. Why? He's fast and big.  He also had a few highlight reel moments on youtube.  Coleman's youtube highlights are just as fun. As for drafting him later,  by all accounts, Coleman was going next to the Patriots, who promptly traded their pick the moment after the Bills took him. The deep wide receiver pool remains deep.  Beane of course addressed other needs on the roster, as he should.  We just watched the Chiefs win their 2nd straight super bowl with a laughably bad receiver room and an elite defense.

You're fine, but the armchair gm's on this board are absurd.  The Bills have the 2nd best record in the NFL since Beane has been here.  He's good at every phase of his job....trades, free agency, and drafting.  Does he have his misses?  Does Josh throw interceptions??  That's sports.  You win some and you lose some.  But he wins a hell of a lot more than he loses.  Enjoy the excellence of this team over the next decade.  Whenever you get anxious, just say..."In Beane I Trust".  He will always come through and put a winner on the field for us.  

It's only misinformation on TBD where Beane knows more than Reid, I mean everyone outside of Buffalo has been clowning us, it's pretty easy to find outside of TBD

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Respectfully to those that are happy about this pick I just don’t understand how you don’t see, or don’t want to see the comparison to somebody like Benjamin.

That’s not a player you want to be compared to and he compares to him, unfortunately, rather well. 

His highlights (if you watched and I watched him even before the draft) are as much about bad defensive back play as they are about him.

Superlatives: he makes one handed grabs, sometimes, and he can jump for the ball given his size.

Do those one handed grabs look like Josh throws?

So…our first pick is a jumper.  Sorry, but I wanted more.

Go Bills.

Benjamin was undisciplined, lazy, poor leader who seemed to give up on his career..

Just cause they have similar body types and skills doesn't mean they're anything alike.

Benjamin could've been a beast but his lack of work ethic stopped that. 

He showed that his rookie year,which was very impressive on a team that lacked weapons and allowed defenses to key in on him. 

Doubt Coleman has that attitude and he gives this O a dimension they were lacking,  we finally add that big,rugged WR. 

You can easily comp him to a Keenan Allen as well. We shall see, something like 73% of rd 1 wrs don’t get an extension from the team thatvdrafted them, so it's not like anyone besides the big 3 maybe were locks to be great.  

I personally like the tape and personality and most of all, him giving us a dimension we're lacking on O. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

The more I think about this the happier I am. If we can make regular 20 yard plays in the air and in the red zone, and regular 8 yard plays on the ground, and defend the way we usually do, we are going to be a handful for any team. We will wear sides down instead of depending on the superman stuff. Plus, Josh has his cannon if he needs it It's been great fun watching our harum scarum stuff the last few years. But strong, safe hands could really be a game changer for Buffalo. Probably suits playoff weather too. 

31 minutes ago, Radar said:

Offense I'm not that worried. I think our defense could be our downfall. Our secondary could be one of the leagues weakest. Hope I'm wrong.

Our secondary only has questions at S and everyone was b******* about how old and slow Po and Hyde became. Beane brought in 2 vets and a promising rookie. Our DBs are one of the best trios out there. Douglas and Taron are studs. Benford is a promising young guy with elite possibilities who I love as cb2. Elam is quality depth. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

You don’t want your franchise Quarterback having a significant say in who he’s going to throw the ball to? Really? 

Right a say, not make the picks like Aaron Rodgers (which is what this report sounds like happened. There is a difference). I want my GM & scouting department to make the pick. It's what we pay them for. I want my franchise QB to work on improving his game in the off-season, & I don't mean golf 😉. That's what we pay him for.

The report makes it sound like Josh all but picked Coleman (that's more than a say). Why would the Bills & Beane want that reported? Maybe bc then we have to like the pick bc Josh picked him & it absolves Beane if the pick is a bust bc then it was Josh's fault? & What if he is a bust? (I know I have doubts). Then shouldn't we be saying why are you letting your QB play GM? (that's what folks are saying about Aaron Rodgers in NY). Frankly, they were better off not putting that out there & we would be none the wiser.

Time will tell. If he's good then Josh is brilliant & should be GM. If he sucks, then no Josh should not be making picks. I really hope Coleman is a monster & Josh is a genius. Go Coleman Go Bills!

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Right a say, not make the picks like Aaron Rodgers (which is what this report sounds like happened. There is a difference). I want my GM & scouting department to make the pick. It's what we pay them for. I want my franchise QB to work on improving his game in the off-season, & I don't mean golf 😉. That's what we pay him for.

The report makes it sound like Josh all but picked Coleman (that's more than a say). Why would the Bills & Beane want that reported? Maybe bc then we have to like the pick bc Josh picked him & it absolves Beane if the pick is a bust bc then it was Josh's fault? & What if he is a bust? (I know I have doubts). Then shouldn't we be saying why are you letting your QB play GM? (that's what folks are saying about Aaron Rodgers in NY). Frankly, they were better off not putting that out there & we would be none the wiser.

Time will tell. If he's good then Josh is brilliant & should be GM. If he sucks, then no Josh should not be making picks. 

I think Beane said at one point that Josh has an input but doesn't watch as much tape or go through the process to the extent the scouts do etc. At most, I assume the Bills have a handful of offensive players who they'd be happy to draft and ask Josh's opinion on each. He apparently pushed for Kincaid last year so let's hope this is a repeat.

• Agree 3

The people using Kelvin Benjamin as a bad example apparently don't realize he went for 2k yard combined his first two years played as a pro, and the dude then stopped trying to keep in shape. As for Coleman he is closest receiver in draft to Diggs, Diggs is not a true burner but he fights for the ball and will catch jump balls. He has to learn how to run better routes quickly because the FSU offense ran on Jordan Travis improvising and it is built into the plan. 

12 hours ago, sven233 said:

Ugh......  He's slow and doesn't separate. Two traits you just love to see in a WR.  But hey, welcome to Buffalo.

This could be a real disaster of a pick. Horrible...

In the consensus top 15 wrs, the Bills managed to take the one guy I was hoping they would avoid due to lack of speed and separation. He is a contested catch guy which is a hard way to make a living but who knows maybe Coleman can manage to make it work for him in the NFL. He is still young, so many he can learn to become a more savvy route runner in order to gain a little more separation from defenders. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

*Much* later? Uh, no. Maybe we could have moved down a pick or two. But even that wasn't a guarantee.

When it came to X's with Size that weren't a character question mark (ie Mitchell and Franklin), which is what we were obviously looking for - Coleman and Ja'Lynn Polk was all that was really left.

If you think we could have gotten Coleman "much later" when Ja'Lynn Polk went at Pick 37 - you're just being obtuse because you don't like the pick.

I think it’s hard for any of us to definitely say if he would’ve fallen another 15 spots 

I don’t think he’s the guy others were racing to get - but you never really know. You likely would’ve posted identical avout Franklin had we taken him as a counterpoint