Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Maybe.. but for all the success the Chiefs have had, it's not due to WR evaluations.  They've literally won in spite of that. 

Their defense has gotten it done when needed . The Bills hasn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I'd bet my bottom dollar that if Beane moved up to draft Worthy certain people would be calling for his head.

Stuff like "he gave up a 3rd rounder for a 4th comp pick".  We now have only one other pick in the top 130.

"KC fleeced him".  This board is so predictable.

I would have loved it. It would have been risky, but bold and aggressive.

We will see you back when Worthy sends us home in January for you to tell us “no one could predict he’d be good.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

We will see you back when Worthy sends us home in January for you to tell us “no one could predict he’d be good.”

I'll wait for the draft to finish before I give my opinion on Beane's moves.

I also never gave any opinion on Worthy.  He could "bust" or be great.  

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'd bet my bottom dollar that if Beane moved up to draft Worthy certain people would be calling for his head.

Stuff like "he gave up a 3rd rounder for a 4th comp pick".  We now have only one other pick in the top 130.

"KC fleeced him".  This board is so predictable.

Looking at who 49ers picked doesn't feel like KC needed to trade to get him, or are Worthy and Persall more similar than they seem to me?

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Looking at who 49ers picked doesn't feel like KC needed to trade to get him, or are Worthy and Persall more similar than they seem to me?

Never know. Pearsall may have been the "panic pick" people like to say happens. I'm wondering if they were targeting Worthy and that's why KC felt they had to jump up to get him.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

5 minutes ago, Success said:

So, if we got DeJean - does he move to safety?

Well, he can’t play corner in the NFL, so…thankfully he’s not going to be the pick.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, he can’t play corner in the NFL, so…thankfully he’s not going to be the pick.

You sure about that 

I could see this staff picking him easily 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Hmmm… you said “ risky , but “ . Why do I get the feeling if Worthy was the Bills pick and failed , you would be calling him “ Roscoe Parrish 2.0 , another Harty “ etc etc ? 

35 minutes ago, Koufax said:

if you are worried about spiting the Chiefs more than improving your team then you are probably still in Norwood PTSD and should not be running a football team. 

If they wanted Worthy or believed he was the best player at 28 they would have taken him. They did not. He is a player with one big skill and a lot of question marks. I hope he doesn’t work out but if we picked someone else at 28 and the Chiefs got him at 32 or traded up to 29 it wouldn’t be any different. 

If you think he will be Tyreek Hill and not Marquise Goodwin or Ted Ginn you don’t just take him at 28, you move up to make sure. Tyreek is so much more than a forty time. 

Both trades helped this team get better. There aren’t perfect receivers out of the top ten so you have to trust your evaluations and projections. We will see if the evaluations were right or if we missed the mark (happens dozens of times each draft) but I think the rationale and draft day specifics are spot on for these two trades, just like the move up for Kincaid was. 

Remember the Lions drafting top five receiver busts over and over. Then picking Megatron anyway? If you let past draft trauma impact future choices instead of solid evaluations and strategy, you have already failed. 

It’s not about worrying about the Chiefs.  It’s about not helping them.  Of all the teams in the league that is the last team I would want to help.  The only way you could possibly justify this is if you think getting a late round pick significantly improves the team.    Just getting an extra pick doesn’t do that. 

This is the same logic we saw for years with teams helping the pats with those stupid trades that allowed them to sustain a perennial Super Bowl winner. 

I think this comes down to… you and others think the Bills FO are smarter than the one that has made the conference championship game every year, and won multiple Super Bowls.   I’m of the opinion you don’t let that team do what they want in the draft because records currently show… they’re making better decisions than you.   

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

It’s not about worrying about the Chiefs.  It’s about not helping them.  Of all the teams in the league that is the last team I would want to help.  The only way you could possibly justify this is if you think getting a late round pick significantly improves the team.    Just getting an extra pick doesn’t do that. 

This is the same logic we saw for years with teams helping the pats with those stupid trades that allowed them to sustain a perennial Super Bowl winner. 

I think this comes down to… you and others think the Bills FO are smarter than the one that has made the conference championship game every year, and won multiple Super Bowls.   I’m of the opinion you don’t let that team do what they want in the draft because records currently show… they’re making better decisions than you.   

How did we help the Chiefs?

Just now, EggFartExplosion said:

Mahomes is HBK and Allen is Bret Hart and they are going to have a brawl backstage at the draft.

Rodger Goodell is Vince McMahon, and he will ref the "brawl".

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Hmmm… you said “ risky , but “ . Why do I get the feeling if Worthy was the Bills pick and failed , you would be calling him “ Roscoe Parrish 2.0 , another Harty “ etc etc ? 

I’m not sure. Maybe you have me confused with someone else.

Worthy has elite speed. A little skinny and slight. I had doubts about Devonta Smith who has been pretty productive at the NFL level. 

even if he sucked, I would respect the decision. Now, I have to hope he sucks so he doesn’t catch bombs in the divisional round over Cooper Dejeans head

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I’m not sure. Maybe you have me confused with someone else.

Worthy has elite speed. A little skinny and slight. I had doubts about Devonta Smith who has been pretty productive at the NFL level. 

even if he sucked, I would respect the decision. Now, I have to hope he sucks so he doesn’t catch bombs in the divisional round over Cooper Dejeans head

k

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wait…why can’t he play corner in the nfl? Great athleticism and production in college. First team All-American, Big 10 Defensive Back of the Year.

image.thumb.jpeg.1975f54804747d0e491b4be3bf94dcc2.jpeg

Hoping Beane picks up some good experience picking early in the second round because with his combination of off season moves, we’ll most likely be picking early in the first round next year. I knew we couldn’t defend the chiefs in the playoffs but now we can’t defend them in the draft???

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1