What do you think of when you see this pic?

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The 2016 Chiefs were ahead of the Bills.........but by a slimmer margin than some may recall.  The teams had been closely bunched talent-wise in the years prior to McBeane tearing the Bills roster down in 2017.

Meh, I agree with a lot of what you said, but the stories of most of those players’ careers just hadn’t been written yet.

Sammy was probably regarded as better WR talent than Tyreek in 2017, but today it’s not close. Ditto with Dareus and Chris Jones. And Charles Clay and Kelce.

Maybe all those dudes reach different heights if the circumstances were different but I doubt it. Sammy was a nutcase, Dareus preferred eating to playing, and Charles Clay’s knees were disintegrating before our eyes. And Sammy was unsalvageable by McVay and Reid. 

I agree back then it wasn’t some gigantic talent gap though.

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Yeah. But we wouldn’t have landed Josh, who I’d much rather have.

Also, doesn’t mean PM would have been as good as he is in Buffalo.

I agree, just more fodder for my buddies to bust my chops with though

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Bills traded away pick that was used to select GOAT player. 

I understand the situation at the time but it just adds to the misery of a franchise that is a punchline.

He's not the greatest player lmao

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But yes, ultimately the Bills ended up birthing a Chiefs dynasty.  Probably because McDermott felt inclined to help his buddy Andy.   .    

I am not doubting you, and I'm positive that you know how little regard in which I hold McDermott, but why on Earth would he make a trade (for which he got little return imo) to help Reid, this in his first year here? Is he even worse than I thought? 

5 hours ago, davefan66 said:

This cannot be said enough.. both points. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Meh, I agree with a lot of what you said, but the stories of most of those players’ careers just hadn’t been written yet.

Sammy was probably regarded as better WR talent than Tyreek in 2017, but today it’s not close. Ditto with Dareus and Chris Jones. And Charles Clay and Kelce.

Maybe all those dudes reach different heights if the circumstances were different but I doubt it. Sammy was a nutcase, Dareus preferred eating to playing, and Charles Clay’s knees were disintegrating before our eyes. And Sammy was unsalvageable by McVay and Reid. 

I agree back then it wasn’t some gigantic talent gap though.

Point is..........the 2017 Chiefs weren't even close to being in a Super Bowl like those Dolphins.   They were the 4th seed at 10-6 and had actually lost to 9-7 Buffalo at home that season.  They had been nothing more than an easy-out in the playoffs each year when lead by Andy Reid.......a HC with 0 SB wins and a history of choking and poor game management.    Don Shula was the antithesis of Andy Reid at that point.

But history is written by the winners.

When the Bills played the Chiefs in 2017 Kelce and Tyreek didn't do anything that day.   Their stories hadn't been written yet because the outcome was very much in doubt to that point.    Alex Smith.........a very good bridge QB.......just couldn't get the ball to them against a decent Bills secondary.   It took an elite QB to elevate that roster.   They pursued Sammy Watkins because despite good statistics........what they had in Kelce and Hill hadn't proven to be nearly enough.   

Generational QB's and winning cultures DRASTICALLY change careers. 

I look at guys like Aaron School and Kyle Williams with the Bills.   If either are on a dynastic team their careers might have become HOF worthy.  Schobel probably plays another 5 years.   The losing not only created a lack of opportunity but it created a disincentive to push for individual greatness.   Put Chris Jones or Tyreek Hill on those drought Bills and who knows what happens.   They were "just guys" in college.   Couldn't pick 2 more perfect examples.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am not doubting you, and I'm positive that you know how little regard in which I hold McDermott, but why on Earth would he make a trade (for which he got little return imo) to help Reid, this in his first year here? Is he even worse than I thought? 

Relationships make deals happen.    I'm not sure they make that trade with any other team in the AFC if that team is picking 27th(meaning they are good).   If you are going to help an AFC rival out you better be getting the best of the exchange........and even at the time it seemed like at best a discount.

But again, new regimes are also brimming with confidence in themselves and often end up getting taken to the cleaners in personnel swaps.    It's the first place to look if you are a contender looking to make a one-sided deal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Exactly!!

It's like if we could have drsfted Connor McDavid. I don't think he's the same player here with Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Relationships make deals happen.    I'm not sure they make that trade with any other team in the AFC if that team is picking 27th(meaning they are good).   If you are going to help an AFC rival out you better be getting the best of the exchange........and even at the time it seemed like at best a discount.

But again, new regimes are also brimming with confidence in themselves and often end up getting taken to the cleaners in personnel swaps.    It's the first place to look if you are a contender looking to make a one-sided deal.

That makes sense and makes McDermott look like a complete novce, who was handed (and still has) WAY to much power in the organization.

• Like (+1) 1

When you see Mahomes without a T-shirt on you wonder how he's able to do the things he does.

Guy has a dad bod that's as smooth as a baby's bottom. The haircut and mustache just add to the WTF factor! How?

Edited by billsbackto81

24 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

When you see Mahomes without a T-shirt on you wonder how he's able to do the things he does.

Guy has a dad bod that's as smooth as a baby's bottom. The haircut and mustache just add to the WTF factor! How?

It’s magic. Mahomes Magic. 

How is Patrick Mahomes “influential”? He’s a great quarterback for sure but if he was so influential then why did the NFL spend every waking moment focusing on Taylor Swift when the most influential person was actually down on the field? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

Exactly!!

It's like if we could have drsfted Connor McDavid. I don't think he's the same player here with Sabres. 

Different schemes/systems fit different players for sure.  Players around them. And of course, coaching staff.

4 hours ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Darlene has really let herself go since Roseanne series ended. 

This is, clearly, the most important post in the thread.

As a yute, I was madly in love w Sara Gilbert, irrespective of her own preferences, of which I was somehow aware.

Anyway...based on your comment, I don't have the courage to look up a current pic.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Mahomes would have no Super Bowls if we drafted him to. So, not so sure why so many people attack McDermott for that

I agree.  Right now McDermott's legacy overall is having the greatest qb to ever play for the Bills and never reaching a single SB.

7 minutes ago, julian said:

This dude lucked into 2 future HOF pass catchers and a HOF offensive HC

You do know that before Patrick Mahomes started, Tony Dungy opined on national TV something like

"the Kansas City Chiefs may win a Superbowl...but it won't be with Andy Reid as their Head Coach"

The narrative about Reid has changed quite a lot during the last 6 seasons of his 25 year HC career.