Who are your favorite 5th-7th rd RB prospects?

NewEra

Seem to be a handful of guys that fit the mold we are likely looking for.  

My favorite is Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington.  I watched several of his games the last few years and he’s always stood out to me as a guy that maximizes his yards on every touch.  He reminds me of our guy, Fred Jackson.  Can do it all except run away from the pack. Has the ability to wear down a defense

landing him in rd 6 would be great, but if he fine with him in rd 5

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Cody Schrader.  For whatever it is worth here is what Dane Brugler has to say about him.  I think the team needs a power guy who plays physical.  

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Missouri, Schrader was the bell-cow back in offensive coordinator Kirby Moore’s RPO, zone-based run scheme. After four years at Division II Truman State, he walked on at Missouri and went from seventh on the depth chart when he arrived in 2022 to leading the SEC in rushing in 2023. (He also became the first player in SEC history to record 200-plus rushing yards and 100-plus receiving yards in a single game.) There are different ways for running backs to force missed tackles, and Schrader’s weapons of choice are determined play speed, jackhammer feet and R-rated violence at contact — he forces defenders to match his effort on every snap. He gets stronger as the game goes on, as evidenced by the fact that he posted better yards per carry (7.1) and more first-down carries (23) in the fourth quarter than any other quarter last season. Overall, Schrader doesn’t run with desired tempo or elusiveness, but he is an attitude runner who sets the tone with his physicality and contact balance. There is a place in the NFL for his competitive run style and make-it mentality.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not THAT much of a football fan. I don't think I'll ever research 7th round prospects for any position, including running back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen is the guy I  like. In 2022 and 2023 Allen was considered the centerpiece of Wisconsin's offense. He was heralded as the next Wisconsin stud running back. Bigger more powerful runner but plenty of athleticism. When the Badgers switched to the spread this year it took them awhile to get the offense going. So a little more underrated than what we likely would have seen if they didn't go thru such a huge offensive transition.

Schrader is also hard not to like. Strikes me a process guy thru his bones. He was durable for Mizzo. Great pass catcher as well. I watched his entire performance vs the Volunteers and he stole the show. Impressive what he was able to do against the SEC.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Ainias Smith with one of our 5-6ths would be a good get imo. Kid's a Deebo lite and is a monster in the punt return game. Might actually see some offensive snaps in a few years if he keeps his nose to the grindstone

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Allen is the guy I  like. In 2022 and 2023 Allen was considered the centerpiece of Wisconsin's offense. He was heralded as the next Wisconsin stud running back. Bigger more powerful runner but plenty of athleticism. When the Badgers switched to the spread this year it took them awhile to get the offense going. So a little more underrated than what we likely would have seen if they didn't go thru such a huge offensive transition.

Schrader is also hard not to like. Strikes me a process guy thru his bones. He was durable for Mizzo. Great pass catcher as well. I watched his entire performance vs the Volunteers and he stole the show. Impressive what he was able to do against the SEC.   

Lots of folks like Allen. No way he lasts till the fifth round, and he could easily go day 2.

I like Kendall Milton. He runs upright, which isn't the best, but he's a big, tough back. He'd be an excellent day 3 RB.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Seem to be a handful of guys that fit the mold we are likely looking for.  

My favorite is Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington.  I watched several of his games the last few years and he’s always stood out to me as a guy that maximizes his yards on every touch.  He reminds me of our guy, Fred Jackson.  Can do it all except run away from the pack. Has the ability to wear down a defense

landing him in rd 6 would be great, but if he fine with him in rd 5

Braelon Allen Wisconsin.   I say take him in the 4th and let him pound the crap outta people.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I'm not THAT much of a football fan. I don't think I'll ever research 7th round prospects for any position, including running back.

Agreed. I considered myself a pretty big NFL fan until I saw this post and a few reasonably thought out replies to it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

I don’t see Allen as a 5-7 rd guy but I’d be very happy if he fell to us in rd 4

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Agreed. I considered myself a pretty big NFL fan until I saw this post and a few reasonably thought out replies to it. 

Yeah, there are guys here who do full draft boards, watch film on all these guys, and do full 7 round mock drafts, etc.

I don't know where they get the time (or how they stay married), but their insight can be valuable.

Kimani Vidal / RB / Troy - 5'8" and 218lbs. He put up some big numbers, has good agility, runs with real power for his size, and had a solid Combine to back it all up. He's a 6th Round guy imo. 

Adding the Combine link as well. DJ called him a "mini Josh Jacobs" when they were talking about his 40 time. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kimani-vidal/32005649-4410-3821-f78f-4dbf76ad9374

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

@NewEraSo happy to see you talking about my favorite position 😎. I like the guy from Louisville. I think it's Guerendo. 

lol.  I was going to mention you with his name.  Figured you’d be crushing on the speed and size

Guerendo is the obvious choice after his combine. However, after his combine I’m not sure he lasts until rd 5 now. 

I like Jawhar Jordan also. He didn’t have a great 40 time at the combine but watching him on tape he appears to play much faster. He’s more like Cooks size tho I believe. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t see Allen as a 5-7 rd guy but I’d be very happy if he fell to us in rd 4

Why limit the convo to day 3?  Considering we have a huge need at RB (only 2 on the team right now) we will be drafting one.  I dont think the value is there in the first two rounds but would definitely be happy to have a reliable short yardage and pass pro RB in the 4th. 

Do you think all our other needs are greater than RB that we shouldnt consider RB in the 4th?

Love Braelen Allen but you'd probably have to take him in the 4th but I think he'd be the perfect compliment to Cook. But Ray Davis and Marshawn Lloyd look solid also. I'd go Davis over Lloyd though. Davis played for 3 different schools and was a dog for all of them

51 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Why limit the convo to day 3?  Considering we have a huge need at RB (only 2 on the team right now) we will be drafting one.  I dont think the value is there in the first two rounds but would definitely be happy to have a reliable short yardage and pass pro RB in the 4th. 

Do you think all our other needs are greater than RB that we shouldnt consider RB in the 4th?

Regarding the bolded, because I don’t want discuss drafting a RB on day 2.  I really dislike the idea.  I think we can find a designated battering ram using a rd 5-7 pick or via FA.    I’d much rather draft DL, OL, WR, S, CB in rds 2-5

The way I see it, Brooks, Benson, Lloyd, Corum, Wright, Estime and Allen are all potential day 2 picks (some maybe rd 4).  I’ve watched enough tape on those guys and have developed my opinion of them.  I’d like to know which other RBs might be fun to dive deeper into.  

51 minutes ago, BruceSlayne said:

Love Braelen Allen but you'd probably have to take him in the 4th but I think he'd be the perfect compliment to Cook. But Ray Davis and Marshawn Lloyd look solid also. I'd go Davis over Lloyd though. Davis played for 3 different schools and was a dog for all of them

Yeah, I’d be ok drafting him in rd 4 due to the Value.

if the backs I listed above fell to rd 4, I’d be on board.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

19 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Braelon Allen Wisconsin.   I say take him in the 4th and let him pound the crap outta people.

Yeah, i'm really big on Braelon Allen too. I think he's the perfect compliment Back to James Cook. But he's definitely not a Round 5-7 guy IMO. The problem with him is the area I see him going is between our 2nd Pick at 60 and our next pick. I have him as a Mid 3rd - Mid 4th Round Prospect. Small chance he's there at 128 and if he's there, i'd hope we'd take him. The good news is that he's one of only 3 RB's we met (that was reported, there could be more that we don't know about) at the Combine (the other two being Audric Estime and Frank Gore Jr.)

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Cody Schrader.  For whatever it is worth here is what Dane Brugler has to say about him.  I think the team needs a power guy who plays physical.  

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Missouri, Schrader was the bell-cow back in offensive coordinator Kirby Moore’s RPO, zone-based run scheme. After four years at Division II Truman State, he walked on at Missouri and went from seventh on the depth chart when he arrived in 2022 to leading the SEC in rushing in 2023. (He also became the first player in SEC history to record 200-plus rushing yards and 100-plus receiving yards in a single game.) There are different ways for running backs to force missed tackles, and Schrader’s weapons of choice are determined play speed, jackhammer feet and R-rated violence at contact — he forces defenders to match his effort on every snap. He gets stronger as the game goes on, as evidenced by the fact that he posted better yards per carry (7.1) and more first-down carries (23) in the fourth quarter than any other quarter last season. Overall, Schrader doesn’t run with desired tempo or elusiveness, but he is an attitude runner who sets the tone with his physicality and contact balance. There is a place in the NFL for his competitive run style and make-it mentality.

I didn't even know Truman State had a football team.....and it was my kid's 'safety school'!

21 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Lots of folks like Allen. No way he lasts till the fifth round, and he could easily go day 2.

I like Kendall Milton. He runs upright, which isn't the best, but he's a big, tough back. He'd be an excellent day 3 RB.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, i'm really big on Braelon Allen too. I think he's the perfect compliment Back to James Cook. But he's definitely not a Round 5-7 guy IMO. The problem with him is the area I see him going is between our 2nd Pick at 60 and our next pick. I have him as a Mid 3rd - Mid 4th Round Prospect. Small chance he's there at 128 and if he's there, i'd hope we'd take him. The good news is that he's one of only 3 RB's we met (that was reported, there could be more that we don't know about) at the Combine (the other two being Audric Estime and Frank Gore Jr.)

I pealed back on projection status for these guys. Makes sense if he is looking to go sooner. I know he was mocked past the 3rd round a few months ago but as far as current value I really have no idea. I'm a pretty big college football nut and he caught my eye. Most people thought he would be Taylor 2.0.  Lots of good backs in this class. I was hoping Ashton Jeanty would come out but he's staying with Boise another year. He's going to be a fun guy to track next year.  

34 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I pealed back on projection status for these guys. Makes sense if he is looking to go sooner. I know he was mocked past the 3rd round a few months ago but as far as current value I really have no idea. I'm a pretty big college football nut and he caught my eye. Most people thought he would be Taylor 2.0.  Lots of good backs in this class. I was hoping Ashton Jeanty would come out but he's staying with Boise another year. He's going to be a fun guy to track next year.  

Yeah, I was pushing for Allen a few months ago, but it just seems unlikely he will be available when we are thinking of taking a RB.

Posted (edited)

Anyone watch Tyrone Tracy Jr, RB Purdue?  He’s a tough kid and has some juice.  Not really the goaline guy most are looking for but he has some nice playmaking ability 

He has some impressive movement skills.  He’d be a nice add in rd 5

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted RB Allen in the 3rd or 2nd