What's The Greatest Invention in History?

Irv

I would argue that the invention of inventions was pretty impactful.  The invention came about in 1793 just in time for Eli Whitney to popularize inventions with the cotton gin.  Before Eli Whitney there was no true innovation, only recycling of and incremental improvement on existing ideas. The invention would stagnate however, mostly due to the spectacular failure that was the steamboat which sucked most of the joy out of inventing.  And for a long time nothing really happened.  That is, until, the invention of technology in 1903.  Technology was invented by the Swedes and was primarily focused on the design of modular furniture until a string a futuristic movies including Back to the Future, The Terminator, and ET the Extra Terrestrial, captivated imaginations worldwide.  For the first time in human history people began wondering "can technology be used to improve my everyday life?"...and the rest is history.

Without the invention of inventions, most of this would not have been possible.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, muppy said:

how about the internet and / or computers. I use mine daily as do most people here. It's pretty danged important . Greatest? Maybe!

Greatest, maybe. Most dangerous, definitely. 

22 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

At the turn of the century there was a list of the thousand most important people of the millennium.  The top of the list was Gutenberg because of the printing press.  I vote for that because the printing press allowed for the widespread sharing and application of knowledge.

And then the internet ruined it. 

On 4/17/2024 at 4:23 AM, oldmanfan said:

At the turn of the century there was a list of the thousand most important people of the millennium.  The top of the list was Gutenberg because of the printing press.  I vote for that because the printing press allowed for the widespread sharing and application of knowledge.

Yup, I agree with this one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned electricity. Your microwave ovens would be entirely useless without ELECTRICITY.  No cell phones either without electricity. No big screen TVs or Computers. 

I agree! Shocking!

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I agree! Shocking!

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Yup, I agree with this one.

Well, electricity wasn't really invented.  How about the invention of the AC generator to produce electricity? 

Edited by Irv

26 minutes ago, Irv said:

Well, electricity wasn't really invented.  How about the invention of the AC generator to produce electricity? 

Actually both alternating and direct current produce electricity.  

While fire itself isn't an invention, the harnessing of fire for light, heat, and cooking food certainly was.  It was the very first step on the road to civilization. 

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Actually both alternating and direct current produce electricity.  

DC is not superior to AC in the overall scheme of inventions.  

50 minutes ago, Irv said:

DC is not superior to AC in the overall scheme of inventions.  

Certainly not, but it is easier to understand the chemistry of a battery that produces a stream of electrons (DC). It is much more difficult to grasp how you can make the electrons go back and forth in a wire (AC).

Edited by DrW
  • Eyeroll 1

At this point, the internet.

It gives you unlimited resources of knowledge.  

It can transfer funds/money instantly.

It's powerful enough that without it now, countries would crumble.  

It brings communication through out the world instant.

It gives you unlimited resources to anything because you can get anything you want from the internet.  Research, find it, order it and have it delivered.  Which makes life easier for many people.  

• Like (+1) 1

THE AUTOMOBILE, far & away had the biggest impact of all time!

It was a global phenominon (sorry for the spelling) that's still going on today. It impacted on our society on many, many, fronts.

It impacted on the steel industry, the oil industry, commercial farming as well as private farming, road construction, the hotel

and motel busineses, tourism, even the fast food business. The list goes on and on, longer than I have the time to post on this

topic.  That machine provided millions and millions of jobs for a lot of people.

1 hour ago, RevWarRifleman said:

It was a global phenominon (sorry for the spelling) that's still going on today. It impacted on our society on many, many, fronts.

It impacted on the steel industry, the oil industry, commercial farming as well as private farming, road construction, the hotel

and motel busineses, tourism, even the fast food business. The list goes on and on, longer than I have the time to post on this

topic.  That machine provided millions and millions of jobs for a lot of people.

It impacted where people live and how they live.  It shaped American culture.  Outside of the old cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, and to a lesser extent Philadelphia/DC every American city was built for cars.   Urban sprawl and suburban mediocrity are simply not possible without the automobile.  The number one priority of city designers is "where are all the cars going to park?"

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

And yet, but for the wheel it would be useless. 

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

And yet, but for the wheel it would be useless. 

Yeah... But the wheel is basic. Of course it's great, I don't think that's ever in question.  BUT, it's like saying primary colors are the greatest. 

Stuff like the wheel should get a look over to greater things. The wheel is an innately human invention that was bound to happen. 

21 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

At this point, the internet.

It gives you unlimited resources of knowledge.  

It can transfer funds/money instantly.

It's powerful enough that without it now, countries would crumble.  

It brings communication through out the world instant.

It gives you unlimited resources to anything because you can get anything you want from the internet.  Research, find it, order it and have it delivered.  Which makes life easier for many people.  

It’s up there.  But for every positive you get from the internet, there are many negatives.  I think that drops it down a bit.  

51 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Plumbing. I think it’s the one thing we can’t live without. I would not want to live in a world without being able to bathe or use the facilities whenever needed. 

Its what LaGaurdia did for NYC I believe.  People were just dumping waste in the streets.  

He headed up the cleaning, sanitizing and plumbing system for the city.