Where will you watch the eclipse?

Simon

I had enough breaks in the clouds, including for the entirety of the corona/full eclipse, where it was super awesome.

Watching the faded sub through the clouds was awesome.  Just enough poked through the haze at times.  I hope I didn't do any damage viewing it obscured by a bunch of clouds.  

After the total eclipse, it semi- was clear for about 5 minutes and we used the glasses as we could finally see it through those.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We were on a lakeshore north of Syracuse.  You could see the shadow (umbra?) approaching from the southwest.  As it passed over, everyone was screaming and cheering. Got to see the ring of fire through the clouds. The sunset over the lake was gorgeous. Then suddenly it was light again. Definitely a lifetime experience. 

Also, no discernible change from normal traffic despite all the warnings. 

• Like (+1) 1

For a week or two this time of year, for about an hour…….I feel like I’m staring at an eclipse if I sit in “my spot”.  That time is NOW.  I bet used glasses could be had cheap. 

Just now, Your Brown Eye said:

I just benched pressed 300 lbs after the eclipse. Fight me.

It’s the internet, that’s what we are supposed to do, right? 

I went over to my parents neighborhood in the Wheatfield area of Niagara County to watch it.  It was pretty cool, it was the neighborhood I grew up in and I still know alot of the neighbors that live there and a lot of people were out in their yards and driveways hanging out to see it.  No elaborate neighborhood party or anything but just enough excitement to make it something of an event and it cost me $0.  Drove by Gratwick Park in North Tonawanda earlier and it was jumping with a huge crowd and food trucks, DJ's etc...even saw a little petting Zoo with Horses for the kiddos.  I wasn't that hyped for this thing going into it but I can see why it was such a big deal and I'm glad I at least went somewhere to take it in even if it was very lowkey.  

Went up to Oswego County, had a big black cloud come through right during totality, so didn't see anything.  Except it getting dark.  Got to see it before, and right after.  

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Also, no discernible change from normal traffic despite all the warnings. 

We left about noon to go north. Traffic was heavier on 81 heading north than a normal Monday.  Lots of NJ and PA plates.  

• Like (+1) 1

Perfect conditions up in the Adirondacks today!  Was up on Poke-O-Moonshine in the NE part of the park.  The show was amazing.  Unfortunately the ride home took forever.  What’s usually under two hours took a little over six.  Solid traffic the entire time.  I would bet today set a record for the most people in the park ever.  And they all left at the same time.  Even with the traffic mess it was a great day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

West of Cleveland was cloudless @ times... Then a little later just high wispy cirrus clouds. 

I took my glasses off for totality... Then hunting around on camera LCD and could find nothing but black... I forgot to take lens filter off! 4 minutes goes by fast when things are going wrong. I wish I clould have practiced this thing!😕 

Eclipse_04082024(M).thumb.jpg.8cc3a284559ca260db64df19bf752e1f.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

I waited too long to get glasses so I watched here in  my house.  It was sureal to see our solar light at the end of the driveway come on at totality. I allowed myself 2 quick looks at totality and went back in the house

1 hour ago, f0neguy said:

Perfect conditions up in the Adirondacks today!  Was up on Poke-O-Moonshine in the NE part of the park.  The show was amazing.  Unfortunately the ride home took forever.  What’s usually under two hours took a little over six.  Solid traffic the entire time.  I would bet today set a record for the most people in the park ever.  And they all left at the same time.  Even with the traffic mess it was a great day.

How many people were at the summit?  And I've seen pictures of 87 with both lanes bumper to bumper.  Sucks to be stuck in that.  

Saw slivers of the sun for a few seconds in Cheektowaga, but secons before totality, the thick clouds moved in. The center of totality was within a half mile of me. Within seconds, it got darker than a moonless night.  Birds start chirping like it was  dusk and roosted. I live near the Buffalo Airport and the planes were held on the ground. One must have been holding on the runway as it took off within 30 seconds of the light coming back.  A gas company truck pulle over across the street to watch the eclipse as he left as soon as it got light  again. It was eerie. By 5 PM, the skies were clear.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 2

Top of Poke-O-Moonshine had maybe 125/150 (guessing)?  When I signed out on the trail register I counted how many had signed in after us and got 82 hikers.  But not everyone registers and there are two trailheads, so I only saw the one book.

completely overcast for the entire day until about 5, which is a kicker because it was perfectly sunny on sunday and today!  that being said we still had fun.  I got to share the experience with my kids, and the complete darkness was wild.  the winery across the street from us had an event, and you could hear people going wild.  it went cold and still, and even though we couldn't see the sun, it was still very worth it.   when it was done we continued with drinks and food.  if nothing else it was a reason to party on a monday.

• Like (+1) 1

And…. We got off Northway exit 14 to drop off a couple at around 11:00 pm. Stopped on the bridge and saw headlights from the north and taillights going towards Albany as far as you could see.