Serious interest developing in NC State March Madness Star DJ Burns playing LT in NFL

Wouldn't be the first College Basketball star to transition to the NFL...

Usually they end up at TE tho like Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzalez...not sure I've ever heard of one becoming a left tackle before...

6'9" 275 lbs currently and his body is huge and could easily support 320+ lbs with likely little loss of mobility...

He has gotten the attention of NFL scouts, people in college personnel roles and GMs big time apparently with his performance at the tournament...dude looks like a ballerina in the low post.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nc-state-basketball-star-dj-burns-generating-nfl-interest-as-wolfpack-make-final-four-run/amp/

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

• Big Turk changed the title to Serious interest developing in NC State March Madness Star DJ Burns playing LT in NFL

Yea people are curious

But it's gonna be a 3-4 year development at least if it did work 

Not many teams have 4 years to develop a PS level guy 

I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him but would ask him to TC

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea people are curious

IF he has interest, he would need to bulk up another 40-50 pounds, and show he has upper body strength to match his light feet.

As you mentioned, that's at least 2 years before you even have a bottom of the roster guy.  Another 1-2 for any chance at playing time

I remember Jonathan Ogden was famously tall at 6’9”. Don’t remember other tackles that height dominating. It’s easier for smaller players to get leverage against them - unless he’s powerful. If I were him I’d try to get in contact with Ogden if he doesn’t have a future as an NBA starter. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Usually they end up at TE tho like Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzalez...not sure I've ever heard of one becoming a left tackle before...

6'9" 275 lbs currently and his body is huge and could easily support 320+ lbs with likely little loss of mobility...

He has gotten the attention of NFL scouts, people in college personnel roles and GMs big time apparently with his performance at the tournament...dude looks like a ballerina in the low post.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nc-state-basketball-star-dj-burns-generating-nfl-interest-as-wolfpack-make-final-four-run/amp/

26 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

IF he has interest, he would need to bulk up another 40-50 pounds, and show he has upper body strength to match his light feet.

As you mentioned, that's at least 2 years before you even have a bottom of the roster guy.  Another 1-2 for any chance at playing time

there is no chance he is under 300 lbs right now.  Zero.

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Irv said:

The guy looks unstoppable.  Why not just play in the NBA.  Who needs the knee injuries and concussions?  

Agreed. Very weird development. Stay a bb player. Less injuries, no CTE, higher salaries. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Irv said:

The guy looks unstoppable.  Why not just play in the NBA.  Who needs the knee injuries and concussions?  

Because it's the hardest sport in the world to get drafted

It's only 60 players around the world...

He might be a late second round pick... But more than likely he's undrafted

He could have a great career in Europe .. but he's not tall enough or explosive enough for the NBA.. he would have a lot to work on

34 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I remember Jonathan Ogden was famously tall at 6’9”. Don’t remember other tackles that height dominating. It’s easier for smaller players to get leverage against them - unless he’s powerful. If I were him I’d try to get in contact with Ogden if he doesn’t have a future as an NBA starter. 

Spencer Brown is 6'9.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

VanDemark was a 6’6 225 pound volleyball player his senior year of high school. 

I can see a guy doing that from High School to College to the NFL, College-NFL makes far less sense especially at the O-line so he's going to put on all that weight and suddenly start smashing into people on every play at an NFL level?

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea people are curious

IDK if he's still there in the 6th or 7th round why not. If there was a way to not waste a roster spot for a couple years it might be worth looking into. I think after a couple years you'd have a good idea if the development could pan out then you'd still have a couple years for him to backup Dawkins. How many 6th or 7th round picks turn out anyways??? Bonus kick to to dk for the first guy to mention Brady😂😆😂

I think it would be an interesting project to bring him in and see if you can "redshirt" him for a two years on the PS and then see if he can develop. I feel like the NFL should let each team have two additional PS slots for developmental players. I think allowing teams to have an extra 17th and 18th PS slots for developmental players that kind of work outside the normal PS rules would work wonders for athletes from other sports attempting to come into the league. Spitballing but I think it could look like. 

1. Only an un-drafted player with no NFL experience can sign the deal.  
  2. During those two years the player's slot cannot be taken by another player, if you sign a player to a developmental deal for the 2024 and 2025 seasons and you cut them you aren't able to use that slot again until 2026. 
  3. After those two years the team has to release you or sign you to their training camp roster. After those two years you are now subject to the regular rules regarding Practice Squad and NFL rosters.
  4. A player can only sign one developmental deal during their careers. 
  5. Other teams cannot claim the developmental player on waivers during the duration of their developmental contract. 
  6. Developmental players cannot be elevated to the roster during the duration of their developmental contract (thus players have to assess if its worth it to not make a roster for two years and if they should take the deal.)

I think this would greatly improve the quality of NFL players as it would allow athletes from other sports or athletes with more limited American football experience a pathway into the NFL. It would take advantage of each NFL team's infrastructure and allow them to be mini development factories for these uber raw prospects. 

Each team can take two players and give them two full off-seasons of training and development and the chance to practice with the team for two seasons and then get brought into a third off-season where they can develop some more and then come in as a training camp participant and get a chance to make the roster outright or get put on the actual PS. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 3

His footwork is pretty elite for a person his size. His attitude is supposed to also be pretty elite as well. Good luck to the kid. NBA is almost impossible especially for him when such a big part of his game is physicality. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

His footwork is pretty elite for a person his size. His attitude is supposed to also be pretty elite as well. Good luck to the kid. NBA is almost impossible especially for him when such a big part of his game is physicality. 

Yep. Good hands, great feet, great size.  It's a long road, but he'd be an interesting PS guy for sure.

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Modern NBA looks nothing like NBA prior to 2014. It’s all 3s, layups/dunks and free throws. No midrange, no post ups. His offense wouldn’t translate and he’d be hunted mercilessly on D bc he can’t guard the perimeter, close out or protect the rim.

his best bet is to lose 50lbs (I assume he’s 320). He really labors to run the court.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

George Fant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Fant_(American_football)

Fant was a decent college basketball player who had no NBA future........he joined the football team for his senior year at Western Kentucky and appeared briefly in 2 games as a TE.  

2 years later he was the starting LT for the Seahawks.

He is heading into year 8 of his career.   

He has amazing feet - I think he could do it.  The question is, will he have a better career playing in the European basketball league or maybe competing for a bench spot in the NBA (and being a bit of a journeyman) vs. practice squad NFL for several years before really getting paid.  

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

YEP!!  Like minds!! My thoughts too.

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, LeBron would make a heckuva tight end!

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Breaking him in as a blocking TE/6th "OL" guy may be a path to a roster spot earlier while he developed. Being able to post up inside the red zone makes him a possible weapon if he can catch...and often times these ex-basketball players can as they are used to handling a ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

Apparently 275# is a figment of the NC State SID's office.  There is no way if he is 6-9 with that build that he isn't already well above 300#.

The problem as I see it is basketball is a game where you try to be as tall and imposing as you can.  In football line play, - Low man wins.

Tight Ends need to be tall and imposing, but O-line probably a tougher place to transition.

Alejandro Villanueva was 6-9 - West Point grad and Army Vet. Too Tall Jones was 6-9 as well.

13 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He has amazing feet - I think he could do it.  The question is, will he have a better career playing in the European basketball league or maybe competing for a bench spot in the NBA (and being a bit of a journeyman) vs. practice squad NFL for several years before really getting paid.  

He easily could be a 10-year plus European pro...

He almost has zero chance at the NBA... I'll be generous and say 6%... But it's probably not that high

So it really depends how lucrative the deals are that he's getting from Europe

NFL ps is still like 200k or something 

• Agree 1

Most of the big guys I grew up with wanted to play basketball. Basketball is probably the toughest professional sport to make a living at. Any one of them probably could have played TE or OL/DL in college. If you are an athletic 6'5+ and in the neighborhood of 250-300 you can pretty easily get a football scholarship. There's only so many of those guys to go around. But football practices are tough if you are a big guy and lack conditioning and none of them seemed interested. Longsnapper is where it's at. If you know any abnormally large kids on your local bball teams, teach them to longsnap and they can go to any college they want for free.

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Most of the big guys I grew up with wanted to play basketball. Basketball is probably the toughest professional sport to make a living at. Any one of them probably could have played TE or OL/DL in college. If you are an athletic 6'5+ and in the neighborhood of 250-300 you can pretty easily get a football scholarship. There's only so many of those guys to go around. But football practices are tough if you are a big guy and lack conditioning and none of them seemed interested. Longsnapper is where it's at. If you know any abnormally large kids on your local bball teams, teach them to longsnap and they can go to any college they want for free.

You don't want to be too large for Long snapper

Most division one long snappers are in the 220 to 260 range

Not big enough for full-time line... Basically oversized fullbacks or linebacker size

They have to have a good enough 40 to run down the field and cover punts

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You don't want to be too large for Long snapper

Most division one long snappers are in the 220 to 260 range

Not big enough for full-time line... Basically oversized fullbacks or linebacker size

They have to have a good enough 40 to run down the field and cover punts

So it sounds like the barrier to entry is even lower then. And every team needs at least one of those guys. Seems like a no brainer if you have some size and athleticism

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea people are curious

Jason Peters was too...he turned out pretty OK...

14 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think a team would be interested enough to offer a pretty big signing bonus for a PS player...they count against the cap but there is no limit to what you can offer them. Some of those players get good sized bonuses.