Bills Officially Sign DT Austin Johnson & DT DeShawn Williams

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

That's what DaQuan Jones and Austin Johnson are. 1TDTs. Big bodies. Run stoppers and gap pluggers.

Williams is a 3TDT. Pass rusher. Gap shooter. 295 is fine for that.

you have the patience of a saint, Logic.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

All of this is semi-mute if Von craps the bed again. But, DE at 28 or move up even is the pick. Latu. He will make this D line perfect.

Are you suggesting that Von may be done, for all intensive porpoises?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Oliver

DaQuan
A. Johnson
D. Williams

Eli Ankou

Maybe...hopefully....better than last year's group?   

Both of these new additions produced many more tackles in run defense than Phillips, Settle, Ford 

Could we still take a DT in Round 1 or 2?  Yes, but it would seem less likely now

Definitely at least as good as LY, on paper.  I'd expect we get better output than Phillips/Settle/Ford.  But the bar is low, those 3 guys didn't do much.

I still expect a DT to be drafted.  We've ignored that for years now, and at least someone to push for the backup 3T.  

Beane doing his thing, get gaps filled prior to the draft.  Now he can focus on BPA.

WR & pass rusher, still our biggest areas that we can improve/biggest impact.  Going to be interesting how things play out at 28.  Depends if Latu is still sitting around mid- 20s, I think they have alot of names at X-receiver that will be value at 28.  Problem is what type of run on WRs will happen in early R2.  If we go DE in first, I'd certainly expect a trade up into the 40s for a WR

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Williams is only 295 lbs. Would have preferred a DT at least 310+ lbs.

a pro athlete who weighs 295 could put on 10-12pounds easily-healthily over the course of 30 days by drinking a gallon of milk (mixed with protein after a workouts) after 6 PM every nite...kids do this at my gym every summer to bulk up for football season at the high school and college level...btw how much does Ed Oliver weigh, quickness counts as well, no ?

8 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Diggs was selected in the fifth round with the 146th overall pick by the Minnesota Vikings in the 2015 NFL draft so I do not see why it is NECESSARY to replace him with a first round pick.  EASIER? Maybe but there are a number of busts in every round.   Some college WRs cannot adjust to NFL   Diggs, a  5th round pick, did better than many picks before him.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00.htm

image.thumb.png.a344bef34daaa3858b40f4695c0dde33.png

More important that they pick the right player and get him in sync with Josh.

I think the idea is that more elite players are drafted higher in the draft rather than lower, but sure, could another 5th round pick end up being a top 5 elite WR ? Yeah but that player is more likely drafted in the 1st or 2nd.

5 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Williams is only 295 lbs. Would have preferred a DT at least 310+ lbs.

He will back up Oliver. Johnson at 310-315 backs up Jones. Williams was in a 3-4 5 tech DL position rushing in a contain position over the OT. The Bills DTs are more attack style. He’s 303 and has started 44 games over the past 4 years. Around 50% snaps. If he remains the 4 DT, he should get 30-35% snaps. Good fit. Remains to be seen if he and Johnson bring more as backups than the past few years. Certainly hope so! 

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

Diggs was selected in the fifth round with the 146th overall pick by the Minnesota Vikings in the 2015 NFL draft so I do not see why it is NECESSARY to replace him with a first round pick.  EASIER? Maybe but there are a number of busts in every round.   Some college WRs cannot adjust to NFL   Diggs, a  5th round pick, did better than many picks before him.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00.htm

image.thumb.png.a344bef34daaa3858b40f4695c0dde33.png

More important that they pick the right player and get him in sync with Josh.

And Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.  No point in taking 1st round QBs either, I guess?

• Haha (+1) 1