Hip drop tackle officially banned

Process

Very dumb. Tackling a guy from behind is simply “grab player, drag him down with your body weight.”

So if the player is a 5’11 running back, and he’s grabbed by a humongous DT, he’s gonna get pulled backwards and roll. The only way to avoid that would be to let him fall forward and gain more yardage. 

Really stupid. 

Yes people accidentally commit penalties, yes refs are going to make mistakes, that happens with current rules and whenever you introduce a new rule, the idea that it should prohibit introducing one is ridiculous.

The video showing the tackles of players going from up high and then swinging their weight down to pin the runners legs to the ground, like how is it not obvious how that causes injuries, the NFL taking a swing at eliminating this makes perfect sense, implementing it we'll see.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

So how are you supposed to tackle a guy from behind. 

You wrap two arms and then what? 

Let him fall forward for the first down instead of preventing further yardage, obviously.

Was there a significant number of serious injuries due to this particular tackling method over the last couple seasons that prompted this change ? I’m seriously asking because I can’t remember a single one, I know there’s a couple where it’s looked awkward and painful but the player ends up walking off, I don’t recall a single player being put in an air cast and driven off the field.

I think having a “competition committee” itself lends to unnecessarily making changes, all be it with good intentions, when you have a job that entails making the game safer… you’re going to make changes to justify having a “competition committee”

This is a good move, actually. It's an extremely dangerous play, isn't necessary, and should be banned for the same reasons horse collar tackles are banned.

And believe me, I'm usually on the side of fewer restrictions.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Very dumb. Tackling a guy from behind is simply “grab player, drag him down with your body weight.”

So if the player is a 5’11 running back, and he’s grabbed by a humongous DT, he’s gonna get pulled backwards and roll. The only way to avoid that would be to let him fall forward and gain more yardage. 

Really stupid. 

No, this prevents you from grabbing them and swinging your body into the player to cut his legs out from under him, usually causing you to land on their legs and causing injuries.

You can wrap up and drag a player to the ground and it is legal as long as you don't do what I mentioned above. This has been a rule in rugby for a long time and it is pretty simple. You can tackle just as effectively without being a dick and injuring them.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

The real problem IMHO isn't the rules, it's the lack of consistency in refereeing and enforcing them.

One game it's a false start or an illegal formation, the next game it isn't

Or maybe it's not an illegal formation until most of the way through the game, then at the end of the game suddenly it is

It's DPI and the announcers declaim "they're going to call that every time", except, no, they don't.

The NFL could fix this if they chose, the don't choose.

Also deciding they just weren't going to call holding on the KC offensive line essentially handing them a championship. 

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m wondering if this will be called based on if an injury happened? I just think it’s going to be so hard to call.

There will be a learning curve, but they call it in rugby pretty accurately.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

I don’t understand how players are suppose to tackle anymore. 

They aren't, and that step is coming.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

There will be a learning curve, but they call it in rugby pretty accurately.

Our refs can't even call false starts properly.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Watching this video, All I see is "15 yard penalty, first down buffalo" when Allen decides to roll out.  90% of him getting tackled is from behind and the defender dragging him down.

So basically you can't start at the waist (from behind) and pull the player down.  You have to slide down to his legs or ankles to complete the tackle.  This is unbelievable and almost unenforceable? There's already like 5 different ways you can't touch the qb on release. A horse collar starts at the top of the body and bends the entire body in half. That makes sense.  This is now telling the defensive player coming from behind that the waist (a perfect wrap up tackle) is off limits. If you want to add offense to a game, this will definitely do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Your defensive minded head coach is one of the unanimous votes on the competition committee,  right?  Everyone's comments are aimed at nameless,  faceless "the NFL" but one of them takes questions from the local media every week. 

In other news,  I love the phrase "un-weights himself"  I'm going to use that when it's time to chill out on the couch. Honey,  I'm just going to un-weight myself now...

Edited by wakingfane

47 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Watching this video, All I see is "15 yard penalty, first down buffalo" when Allen decides to roll out.  90% of him getting tackled is from behind and the defender dragging him down.

The problem I see with this is that a lot of these tackles happen by circumstance, not because players are trying to hurt each other.  Just about all these clips show the offensive player getting out in front of the defensive player so the defensive player has to grab the player and pull them to the ground.  I guess I am not seeing how, at full speed, they want the defensive player to tackle the guy that is trying to run away from them.  They can't go high because the offensive player will just run through it.  I guess they could try and trip them around the knees or ankles or something, but will that really limit injuries or will it create more?  This is going to result in a lot more broken tackles because offensive players are too big and strong to not just be wrapped up and dragged down.

I don't know.  I guess if they unanimously voted it out there must be a plan, but I just don't see a lot of ways to tackle a guy that gets ahead of you in open space without wrapping up.  It is a lot to ask of defensive players.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

So how are you supposed to tackle a guy from behind. 

You wrap two arms and then what? 

You don't swivel your hips and drop your legs down onto the back of the runner's legs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

You don't swivel your hips and drop your legs down onto the back of the runner's legs.

So just falling dead weight is ok, even on the back of the runners legs, as long as you don't swivel your hips?

• Dislike 1

My enjoyment of the game has declined about 50% without the head injuries and high ankle sprains.  I want to watch backup level talent mashing each other's skulls and breaking legs.  Anything short of that is soccer in my book.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The problem I see with this is that a lot of these tackles happen by circumstance, not because players are trying to hurt each other.  Just about all these clips show the offensive player getting out in front of the defensive player so the defensive player has to grab the player and pull them to the ground.  I guess I am not seeing how, at full speed, they want the defensive player to tackle the guy that is trying to run away from them.  They can't go high because the offensive player will just run through it.  I guess they could try and trip them around the knees or something, but will that really limit injuries or will it created more? 

I don't know.  I guess if they unanimously voted it out there must be a plan, but I just don't see a lot of ways to tackle a guy that gets ahead of you in open space without wrapping up.  It is a lot to ask of defensive players.

Take a look at how the defenders use their lower body. Once they have grip, they swing their legs out in front in order to land on the back of the runner's legs.

The answer, I think is to keep your legs behind you; don't swivel your hips/swing your legs. Sometimes the way the runner moves might still cause the defender's body to swing around, which is where this could get confusing.

But there's a clear technique here that just needs to be adjusted. It'd be nice to see a video comparison showing the right technique vs the wrong technique.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

So just falling dead weight is ok, even on the back of the runners legs, as long as you don't swivel your hips?

I think so. I've tackled people from behind without needing to curl up my body the way the defenders in that video do.