Pass rusher. A huge need not being talked about enough

DJB

And it’s DE/pass rusher 

Rousseau has not exactly lived up to expectations thus far, we lost our best pass rusher in Floyd and we have an aging soon to be cut next year in Von Miller. 

While I don’t see it as even a good pass rushing class, it wouldn’t surprise me if we selected one pretty high in the draft given the need for it. 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

• DJB changed the title to The HUGE position of need only a few are talking about….

Oh we know. We also know it’s McDefenses favorite thing to do. Rotate 17 defensive linemen every game and see how little snaps he can give to the actual difference makers on the defense. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 4

25 minutes ago, DJB said:

And it’s DE/pass rusher 

Rousseau has not exactly lived up to expectations thus far, we lost our best pass rusher in Floyd and we have an aging soon to be cut next year in Von Miller. 

While I don’t see it as even a good pass rushing class, it wouldn’t surprise me if we selected one pretty high in the draft given the need for it. 

If we are to address it, which I'm not convinced Beane sees it as big of a need as you after re-signing Epenesa, signing Toohill, and with Von coming off a full year and getting a full offseason removed from the ACL, I see it being addressed just as the Floyd signing last year was.

Someone like Jadeveon Clowney, Emmanuel Ogbah, Yannick Ngakoue, Carl Lawson, or Michael Danna (maybe even someone else cut post-Draft) will be looking for a team still when Tre's money comes in. We'll get the best of what's left when musical chairs stops just as we did last year with Leonard Floyd.

This really isn't the Draft for Edge Rusher. Especially where we're picking in Rounds 1 and 2.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

How huge is it? 

• Haha (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If we are to address it, which I'm not convinced Beane sees it as big of a need as you after re-signing Epenesa, signing Toohill, and with Von coming off a full year and getting a full offseason removed from the ACL, I see it being addressed just as the Floyd signing last year was.

Someone like Jadeveon Clowney, Emmanuel Ogbah, Yannick Ngakoue, Carl Lawson, or Michael Danna (maybe even someone else cut post-Draft) will be looking for a team still when Tre's money comes in. We'll get the best of what's left when musical chairs stops just as we did last year with Leonard Floyd.

This really isn't the Draft for Edge Rusher. Especially where we're picking in Rounds 1 and 2.

And that’s the problem. 

I suspect this time next year our #1 draft priority will be DE. We will learn a lot on what we have with the group that we have this year and likely it means we need a big upgrade 

1 minute ago, DJB said:

And that’s the problem. 

I suspect this time next year our #1 draft priority will be DE. We will learn a lot on what we have with the group that we have this year and likely it means we need a big upgrade 

You may be right. But we'll worry about it then. For this year with Groot (who I'm pretty sure the regime sees as less than a concern than you), Von, Epenesa, and Toohill and with money coming in June to address it further if Beane sees it necessary - it'll have been properly addressed for this year.

Save for something unlikely happening like Laiatu Latu falling into our laps, there isn't a DE worth taking at 28. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, DJB said:

And it’s DE/pass rusher 

100%. If you can't get to mahomes, you can't beat Mahomes. Without a significant upgrade on our front 4, I'm writing off the season as a growing/rebuilding year. It doesn't need to be an edge if we can get the production from DT, but we need to get to the QB with 4 rushers.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

100%. If you can't get to mahomes, you can't beat Mahomes. Without a significant upgrade on our front 4, I'm writing off the season as a growing/rebuilding year. It doesn't need to be an edge if we can get the production from DT, but we need to get to the QB with 4 rushers.

If the Bills don’t upgrade the pass rush it’s a growing/rebuilding year, how does that change your viewing experience and its entertainment value to you ? Do you watch less, make more frequent bathroom breaks during live play, actually invite the wife to watch with you and actually mean it now ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You may be right. But we'll worry about it then. For this year with Groot (who I'm pretty sure the regime sees as less than a concern than you), Von, Epenesa, and Toohill and with money coming in June to address it further if Beane sees it necessary - it'll have been properly addressed for this year.

Save for something unlikely happening like Laiatu Latu falling into our laps, there isn't a DE worth taking at 28. 

Alot resting on Von returning close to form.  AJE got better LY, but still inconsistent. Toohill is the equivalent of Shaq Lawson, more athletic.  

Will depend how draft goes, but I like:

Latu: if he's there in the early 20s, worth a trade up

Chop Robinson: biggest bust potential, but he had a VERY good win rate/just didn't finish with sacks.  Reminds me a bit of Jerry Hughes.  I'd take him at 28

Darius Robinson: at 28 might be a little early, he's a tweener but he'll be a good player with some team.  I'd consider him at 28, but definitely go for him if we traded back into 2nd round

Isaac, Kneeland, and Trice: 3 guys who could be there at 60 and add value.  Problem with them, is I don't see them much better than AJE (more insurance if Von completely falls apart)

Basically 2-3 guys in the 1st, that could make an immediate impact and possibly be around when we pick.  

Depends what Beane sees in WR class.  Could go DL in 1st, then move up for say Keon Coleman or Leggette in 2nd.  OR, they might really like Mitchell or Worthy and jump on them a 28.  Then see what is left in RD2, possibly DT is better value then at 60.  Then go your route of FA, post draft, for a 1 year rental DE.

I'm fine with any option, we have alot of potential moves and I agree with OP that DL pass rush is just as big or bigger need than WR

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, julian said:

If the Bills don’t upgrade the pass rush it’s a growing/rebuilding year, how does that change your viewing experience and its entertainment value to you ? Do you watch less, make more frequent bathroom breaks during live play, actually invite the wife to watch with you and actually mean it now ?

I still expect us to win 10+ games and maybe even win the division again. I'll still be happy when we win, but I'll be less excited in general, much like I was this year. I'll basically be watching the games to enjoy the future potential of our young players instead of lying to myself about thinking we're a contender. I've kinda stopped caring about the results of games before December. I like watching to see if we do interesting things from a gameplan perspective that could help us in Jan/Feb, but over the last few years, we haven't had much of that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DJB said:

And it’s DE/pass rusher 

The issue is there are no great ones in the draft.  We will grab a couple, but beane is going to need to let his new DC, scheme pressure.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I still expect us to win 10+ games and maybe even win the division again. I'll still be happy when we win, but I'll be less excited in general, much like I was this year. I'll basically be watching the games to enjoy the future potential of our young players instead of lying to myself about thinking we're a contender. I've kinda stopped caring about the results of games before December. I like watching to see if we do interesting things from a gameplan perspective that could help us in Jan/Feb, but over the last few years, we haven't had much of that.

Good post.  I agree and have us at 10-7 with a possible AFCE title, but definitely a WC spot.

We have to be peaking and HEALTHY going into the playoffs.  If we can do that,we have as good a shot as anyone.

• Vomit 1

I can dream..

No. 28 Byron Murphy

No. 41 from GB Tvondre Sweat

No. 60 Jermaine Burton

No. 88 from GB Maason Smith

No. 128 Devontez Walker

No. 133 Javon Solomon

After that IDC

Edited by nosejob

32 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Very nice, I never let expectations negatively impact the pleasure I get from watching. I’ll be disappointed if Bean doesn’t do everything he can to find a future Diggs replacement early in this draft, but I’ll continue to believe 17 makes you a contender each healthy season he has.

The first year the Bills defense doesn’t drop off in the playoffs will be the first championship Allen delivers. That’s my belief and I hope I’m proven correct this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DJB said:

And it’s DE/pass rusher 

I actually think it’s CB.  

• Shocked 1