Pass rusher. A huge need not being talked about enough

DJB

Just now, mrags said:

Again. He is too conservative. He always coaches not to lose in big games. He never brings pressure. He rarely blitzes. He’s too scared to let up a big play. If McD is so good, but the talent is so weak he wouldn’t have a top 5-10 defense every single year. He wouldn’t have been near the top of the league in sacks last year but he was. Right until the playoffs and then he goes into a shell. Happens every year 

So in the playoffs, McDermott coaches the DL to NOT rush the passer, but in the regular season, the DL is given the green light to rush the passer with full force?

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

This is such a loser mindset. He is always top of the league in defense and was top 5 in sacks last year. Right until the playoffs then nothing. 

Cos he scheme is good and the regular season allows scheme to win. In the playoffs it is mano v mano.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is. You play the best v the best in the playoffs. It comes down to guys winning their assignments up front and outside.

Correct. The IOL of the Chiefs took Ed's lunch money in both KC games for the most part.

The roster is filled with these dudes. Guys who can make some plays here or their but are clearly inferior vs our actual competition.

Eddy had 9.5 sacks last year. He had 2 vs Easton Stick, 1.5 vs Sam Howell in that Washington disaster, 1 against Wilson, Lawrence, Tua, and Bailey Zappe.

You know where he got skunked?  Philly. Dallas. Cincy.

We need to stop paying these dudes $20M a season to feast on bums and no-show vs good team. Rousseau is the next. 4 out of his 5 sacks were against Tua, Howell, and Wilson.

He's gotta get his bag, and the last we will see of Rousseau prior to the offseason is the replay of him playing patty cake while KC scores a TD

13 minutes ago, mrags said:

If McD is so good, but the talent is so weak he wouldn’t have a top 5-10 defense every single year.

This harms your argument. That's EXACTLY what would happen.

A good coach gets a less talented roster to play above the sum of their parts until they face other good coaches with better players, then they get exposed and embarrassed.  See Mike Tomlin, every season.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Correct. The IOL of the Chiefs took Ed's lunch money in both KC games for the most part.

The roster is filled with these dudes. Guys who can make some plays here or their but are clearly inferior vs our actual competition.

Eddy had 9.5 sacks last year. He had 2 vs Easton Stick, 1.5 vs Sam Howell in that Washington disaster, 1 against Wilson, Lawrence, Tua, and Bailey Zappe.

We need to stop paying these dudes $20M a season to feast on bums and no-show vs good team. Rousseau is the next. 4 out of his 5 sacks were against Tua, Howell, and Wilson.

He's gotta get his bag, and the last we will see of Rousseau prior to the offseason is the replay of him playing patty cake while KC scores a TD.

You better believe they are going to overpay for him. Just like they did with Epenessa 

Just now, FireChans said:

He's gotta get his bag, and the last we will see of Rousseau prior to the offseason is the replay of him playing patty cake while KC scores a TD.

This harms your argument. That's EXACTLY what would happen.

A good coach gets a less talented roster to play above the sum of their parts until they face other good coaches with better players, then they get exposed and embarrassed.  See Mike Tomlin, every season.

Surprisingly, I agree with your post.  But the quoted text wasn't from me.

You better believe they are going to overpay for him. Just like they did with Epenessa 

You can't argue that Rousseau/Epenesa suck and are overpaid AND argue the DL is actually talented and held back by scheme and scheme along. Pick a lane bro.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Some Bills Fans:

“Quit wasting $$ on defense, we need to outscore other teams with the way football is played now”

(Put $$ towards offense)

Wait, wait, we have to have a pass rusher!!!”

For the 10th time we had a ton of sacks last season

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

You can't argue that Rousseau/Epenesa suck and are overpaid AND argue the DL is actually talented and held back by scheme and scheme along. Pick a lane bro.

We have good dline players who suck in the postseason

No inconsistency

Just now, GoBills808 said:

We have good dline players who suck in the postseason

No inconsistency

Great beats "good." Ask Gabe.

3 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Surprisingly, I agree with your post.  But the quoted text wasn't from me.

fixed it, that was weird.

Is it really so hard to understand that good teams w good OLs don't give up as many sacks ffs

I understand that (I actually said as much upthread)....but I was told in this thread that the lack of sacks in post-season games was due to conservative coaching.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Great beats "good." Ask Gabe.

fixed it, that was weird.

Well you've got @GunnerBillagreeing w you that Oliver is mid after recently saying he was 'a tick below Chris Jones and Aaron Donald'😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

.....are you making our point for us

No

Legit don't understand your point

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well you've got @GunnerBillagreeing w you that Oliver is mid after recently saying he was 'a tick below Chris Jones and Aaron Donald'😂😂😂

No

Don’t worry 808. Some people will never get it and will defend their beloved coach through everything no matter what. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

No no @GunnerBill is on the record, a green check doesn't mean he agrees with you about EVERYTHING in your post. He is probably still much higher on Eddy than me.

I think Ed Oliver had the greatest season of his career last year. I thought, at points, he was utterly dominant. Unfortunately, none of those points came in the postseason, so here we are again. Maybe he will show up someday.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Don’t worry 808. Some people will never get it and will defend their beloved coach through everything no matter what. 

And some will trash the coach no matter what he does and act childish while doing so

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

Some people have no idea what they are watching too.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No no @GunnerBill is on the record, a green check doesn't mean he agrees with you about EVERYTHING in your post. He is probably still much higher on Eddy than me.

I think Ed Oliver had the greatest season of his career last year. I thought, at points, he was utterly dominant. Unfortunately, none of those points came in the postseason, so here we are again. Maybe he will show up someday.

He didn't play well vs KC in these playoffs. But he was by far our best defender in 13 seconds. And he was for most of last year. If guys wanna judge him off that one gake go ahead. He was below par. No disagreement. But he is in the second tier of DTs in the league

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Ok so the defense, bereft of dline talent, ends up 4th in regular season sacks due to schematic brilliance vs bad teams...largely thanks to McDermott's schematic aptitude...which unfortunately only works vs bad teams as shown by their postseason implosions...

This really what you're going with lol

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No

DL was above average last year. Plays well against bad teams with bad OL/bad QB/a team that can't beat our coverages, sometimes very well (9 sacks vs Sam Howell). Gets routinely beat against teams with good OL. Gets whipped by team with great OL.

The Bills haven't had an SB caliber DL since 2014, and I firmly believe that.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And some will trash the coach no matter what he does and act childish while doing so

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yup. I guess I must have missed his team getting destroyed in the AFC championship game. And then completely botching a simple kickoff and mismanaging a defense with .13 seconds. Oh, and then I must have missed the shellacking by the Bengals at home. And then again a loss against the Chiefs this past year. So if we have such a great coach you would think we’d have won even a few games against good teams. After all, we can beat the chiefs and create a pass rush against Mahomes in the regular season, but can’t seem to do it in the playoffs. 

Just now, mrags said:

Yup. I guess I must have missed his team getting destroyed in the AFC championship game. And then completely botching a simple kickoff and mismanaging a defense with .13 seconds. Oh, and then I must have missed the shellacking by the Bengals at home. And then again a loss against the Chiefs this past year. So if we have such a great coach you would think we’d have won even a few games against good teams. After all, we can beat the chiefs and create a pass rush against Mahomes in the regular season, but can’t seem to do it in the playoffs. 

The coaching botched 13 seconds. No argument.

• Agree 1

Ok so the defense, bereft of dline talent, ends up 4th in regular season sacks due to schematic brilliance vs bad teams...largely thanks to McDermott's schematic aptitude...which unfortunately only works vs bad teams as shown by their postseason implosions...

Like I said, they’ll defend their lovable coach over everything. Can’t take criticism even though it’s warranted. But hey, we’re no longer the bottom of the basement and a playoffs team every year. So let’s be happy. YAY!!!!  🤮

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

All these happened.  As did you talking about fans and their beloved and/or lovable coach as if you were back in 3rd grade.

McD needs to get them over the hump.  All are in agreement.

Edited by oldmanfan

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't play well vs KC in these playoffs. But he was by far our best defender in 13 seconds. And he was for most of last year. If guys wanna judge him off that one gake go ahead. He was below par. No disagreement. But he is in the second tier of DTs in the league

I do because that's when he's paid to show up.

I would annihilate Allen if he was having no-show efforts in playoff losses. You can nitpick tiny things about him, you cannot deny he earns that gigantic paycheck (and cap hit) in the last game of the season every season. Unfortunately, he's basically the only one.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah, they are basically bullies. It's why when we had 3 AllPros on the backend in 2020, we still got smoked by KC.

McD can coach up dudes like Levi Wallce to hang in the NFL and not be terrible vs the Nick Sirianni's of the world. But Levi Wallace is gonna lose to Travis Kelce/Tyreek Hill and Andy every time, even if he got possessed by the Night Train.

• Agree 1

Like I said, they’ll defend their lovable coach over everything. Can’t take criticism even though it’s warranted. But hey, we’re no longer the bottom of the basement and a playoffs team every year. So let’s be happy. YAY!!!!  🤮

At some point eyerolls are all they have l ft😂😂

I guess the question in relation to the thread then becomes- how many first round defensive picks do we need on the defensive line to make it work for McDermott, and if Beane can't identify them properly anyway what's the point of wasting it?

• Thank you (+1) 1

If you aren't happy to be a top 3-4 team every year with a top 2 QB, you can watch the Panthers next year to scratch that itch of how fun it was to be in the bottom of the basement.

I guess the question in relation to the thread then becomes- how many first round defensive picks do we need on the defensive line to make it work for McDermott, and if Beane can't identify them properly anyway what's the point of wasting it?

I am not arguing for more 1st round resources spent on the DL. They have shot their shots. They have to make it work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

All these happened.  As did you talking about fans and their beloved coach as if you were back in 3rd grade.

lol. You’re funny. Last I checked

were on a message board not a debate 

lol. You’re funny. Last I checked

were on a message board not a debate 

Were on a message board?  Ok…

Message boards exist to discuss and debate issues.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

100% if a defensive guru (and that’s what many want to call him) is so good, then he shouldn’t need early pick after early pick. And free agent after free agent to bolster his line to get his job done. But again, you make a point, if they are this bad at identifying talent on the DL then maybe they need to rethink their strategy 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

how many first round defensive picks do we need on the defensive line to make it work for McDermott, and if Beane can't identify them properly anyway what's the point of wasting it?

No more. They wasted enough capital as it is. Pray Rousseau is more than potential and Epenesa takes steroids. Offense x 1000 going forward.

Let's try to win 38-35 over trying to win 21-17. We may still lose, but I'm 100% on board with pivoting strategy. We don't have the horses and beating our heads into the wall trying to get them picking #28 and later every year ain't gonna work.

Just now, mrags said:

100% if a defensive guru (and that’s what many want to call him) is so good, then he shouldn’t need early pick after early pick. And free agent after free agent to bolster his line to get his job done. But again, you make a point, if they are this bad at identifying talent on the DL then maybe they need to rethink their strategy 

Serious question, what are you gonna do if @GoBills808 isn't around to make cogent points for you?

• Agree 2

Just now, mrags said:

😂😂👍That's all I wanted to say at first

But this idea that there's no talent on the defensive line was too tempting to ignore lol