Marvin Harrison Jr wants to be a Bill

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

A bit hyperbolic as the Herschel Walker trade alone pry led to three Cowboys Super Bowls in the 90's.  Also, that doesn't mean Atlanta wouldn't have used those picks they gave up effectively.

Atleast Walker ran for 1000 yards.

Just now, Mat68 said:

Atleast Walker ran for 1000 yards.

Not for the Vikings he didn't.  The Cowboys parlayed those draft picks into Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, and Darryl Woodson.  It's one of the most fascinating trades of all time.

56 minutes ago, psuscott16 said:

Call me crazy but that seems worth it.

it certainly could turn out to be worth it.  

it’s not like this team has other critical needs.  Our roster is already better than 3/4 of the league I’d say.  Plug a few holes and pull this move off

would make for quite the hype going into training camp if a generational WR is suddenly here with Josh

52 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Screenshot2024-03-2212_19_24AM.thumb.png.281deeb1fc9c12c4870271768a084ba6.png

Screenshot2024-03-2212_18_51AM.thumb.png.5ff9a889332c2d8ddd8990a582c9ed0e.png

Careful what you wish for.  I'm not saying Harrison Jr. will be disappointing like Watkins but 2014 was also looked at as a WR rich draft with Watkins in a tier of his own.

the difference was Watkins wasn’t viewed as  HOF type player. Harrison Jr is viewed on that level at least by some 

• Dislike 1

39 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

And how did Kellen Winslow Jr work out LOL

Honestly a great comparison

Both physical specimens... I'm not sure about where their head is at

Does Marvin Harrison Jr really love the game or is he just talented...

good point. Beane would have to be very confident that he loves football before making the move.  

While we’re at it, consider Nabers 6-9 range or Odunze 10-15 range if they get there. 

Then there’s the move many here would be willing to pull and that’s Brian Thomas Jr.  16-23 range

Edited by Warriorspikes51

16 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the difference was Watkins wasn’t viewed as  HOF type player. Harrison Jr is viewed on that level at least by some 

The general consensus at the time was Watkins was the best WR prospect since AJ Green.  Giving up significant draft capital to move up in the draft (especially for a non QB) is historically a losing proposition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

MHJ is so much better but god this whole scenario reminds me of Sammy Watkins so much. Didn't Sammy even slip something about loving the Bills right before the draft?

I still don't hate it. He might put up a 2k season in the NFL, I don't care what the haters say. He's 6'4" Marvin Harrison but better lol, he's going to probably leap frog Justin Jefferson as all world perfection WR.

Aaand I see we covered the Sammy thing. Offseason rust.

Edited by Nelius

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The general consensus at the time was Watkins was the best WR prospect since AJ Green.  Giving up significant draft capital to move up in the draft (especially for a non QB) is historically a losing proposition.

Exactly

Draft Day consensus Sammy Watkins was a much better prospect than Marvin Harrison Jr

he was a All American as a freshman... Joining only like Herschel Walker and AP lol

And Marvin Harrison Jr is not AJ Green or Julio Jones coming out

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Of course barring a Ricky Williams trade deal this will never happen but man all these great receivers wanna come here the last couple years I really can’t figure out why. Since the QB clearly doesn’t wanna win enough.

Wishful thinking but im down

59 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Totally incorrect. Watkins was as big of a prospect as MHJ is now - and bigger. He was considered maybe the best WR prospect ever. He was a "can't miss" guy.

Anyone claiming MHJ is a "Future Hall of Famer" before even being Drafted is being absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It would take 28, Diggs, next years 1st and more to get to where we would need to be in order to get him.

It would have to be even more than that. 

There's a number of teams looking to get into the positions you need to be to land MHJ to select their QB. That's going to drive prices up. Minnesota for example needs to get a guy. And they have 11 and 23 as ammunition to do it.

And the other issue on top of the astronomical cost of what it would take for us to get there is the fact that some of the teams we need to trade with (Arizona, LAC, NYG) are expected to go WR. So they're not just going to give him to us and take whatever's left at 28. They're going to take him themselves. For us to get them to give him to us, it's going to have to be an offer that they have no choice to refuse.

Which is a price that's more than that and more than Atlanta paid for Julio Jones. It's not worth it any way you slice it.

Especially when you figure in moving Diggs costs us 31m in space until 6/1. We literally cannot move him at the Draft. We don't have any way to account for that, pay Draft picks, and Practice Squad for the season (let alone final touches on the roster post Draft and spending money for the season) - even with Tre's money coming.

It'd have to be 28, 60, 2025 1st and 2026 1st to even start the conversation to beat out others and convince someone to pass on MHJ. You don't pay a price like that for anything but a Franchise QB. I don't care how good the prospect is. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

What it would take to get the 4th pick I’m guessing:

28, 60, 2025 1st, 2nd + 2026 2nd or Diggs

To put it into perspective, let’s attach some names to the draft picks. Is MHJ worth: Kaair Elam, Boogie Basham, Greg Rousseau, O’Cyrus Torrence, and Matt Milano? (I mixed in busts and successes for an accurate portrayal of what those future picks might look like).

What if Beane got supremely lucky and hit on all those picks? Dalton Kincaid, James Cook, Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and Khalil Shakir.

Is one MHJ, who’s talent could range anywhere between HoFer to an injury prone bust, worth giving up 4-5 years of five young, cost controlled contracts? You don’t trade the farm for a non-QB. End of discussion. Let the draft come to you and select the best wideout available at 28 if that’s the path you want to take. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Even if Harrison dropped to pick 5 (which is probably as far as he can fall) trading up with the Chargers would probably cost pick 28, 60, 128 and a 1st in 2025 and a 2nd in 2026 and maybe some additional draft considerations.

I love Harrison as a prospect but unless it is for a QB I don’t think any non-QB prospect is worth such a massive trade up. Not that a stud dynamic receiver isn’t a great thing to have but in the NFL it’s almost always a bad idea to give up so much draft capital for a non-QB simply because injuries to one player can derail all that capital.

Building rosters in the NFL is more about Quantity of solid talent than it is about hitting on one elite player that isn’t a QB. You need to try to hit on as many picks as possible to build a roster around a salary cap and build a deep roster.

Give me more chances to hit on good players vs putting all my eggs in one basket.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

What it would take to get the 4th pick I’m guessing:

28, 60, 2025 1st, 2nd + 2026 2nd or Diggs

I don't even think it is possible, honestly. It would take every meaningful draft pick for the next couple of drafts, and since the Bills are always picking late, who even knows if they would do that?

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That is not true. The hype around Watkins was even greater than for Harrison, in my opinion. This is just recency bias.

Edited by MJS

Why would he want to work with the laziest QB the NFL has even known? It just doesn't make sense. Unless he likes Trubisky, of course...

(Sorry if someone has already posted this line of sarcasm in the preceding three pages)

• Haha (+1) 1