What starting spots still need to be filled?

Process

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It's possible. Was he good last year? I don't recall him making many plays and also giving up a TD or two. Who knows who was actually responsible though. 

I say move on and get younger. Edwards looks like he is good enough to be adequate back there. Hope they draft one.

I would have gone WR, Edge, and then S in top 3 rounds prior to FA. Probably wpuld still do the same maybe with DT or C/G ahead of safety. 

I think you need his mental game back there.  He can mentor and maybe lower his snap count to like 70%.

I think WR #2 is a bigger need.  That's where I would put my emphasis on.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think you can make the case that the Bills could play the season (barring injury) with guys currently on the roster, but I don't think the 22 starters actually are on the roster.  

In the first place, it's quite likely that their first and second round picks will start, if not in September, at least by November.  

Just off the top of my head, I'd say this:

Maybe the DT starters, technically, are on the roster (Jones and Oliver), but the rotation guys are like starters, and I'd guess there's another DT coming, and an edge.  

I think a starting safety is coming, somehow (unless my theory about Taron Johnson moving turns out to be correct, in which case the safeties are on the roster, but one of the three starting corners is not).

I don't think the starting wideout is on the roster.  I just don't see the Bills going with Diggs-Samuels-Shakir.  Maybe Shorter comes out of nowhere, but I doubt it.  

There might be a guard who shows up.  

Whether all those guess are right, I don't know.   Only one of them has to be right to prove that all the starters are not yet on the roster. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Chiefs Kingdom overwhelming amount of them are upset that Edwards is gone especially to us.  He's a solid player \

C  -  Not convinced we'll start McGovern.  We'll see

i had to look back at the main board thinking you meant edwards-hillare who i hope we sign!

The biggest need on the team, IMO is a pass rusher.  Floyd led the team with 10.5, and he's gone.  Oliver had 9.5, but that was a massive outlier for him.  He had 9.5 in his previous three seasons combined.  I think his number decreases a bit next year, and maybe Von gets a couple to make up the difference.  That puts a lot of pressure on guys like Rousseau and Epenesa who have yet to really prove themselves as pass rushers.

• Like (+1) 1

At defensive end, Von Miller is less than a sure thing as a starter,  At safety, I feel better about Edwards as a starter than I do about Rapp.  I think Rapp lacks athleticism and coverage ability.  The Bills at least need one quality starting safety.   The Bills have receivers I would be comfortable starting, but I'd still like to get one of those sub 4.4 big guys in the draft with my first round pick.  They're going to need a #1 receiver sooner or later.  Every season it becomes a little more likely that Diggs will leave.  After all there is talk of a trade right now.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

The biggest need on the team, IMO is a pass rusher.  Floyd led the team with 10.5, and he's gone.  Oliver had 9.5, but that was a massive outlier for him.  He had 9.5 in his previous three seasons combined.  I think his number decreases a bit next year, and maybe Von gets a couple to make up the difference.  That puts a lot of pressure on guys like Rousseau and Epenesa who have yet to really prove themselves as pass rushers.

Agree on pass rusher being the top need. The Bills have no one that can get to the QB quickly. While I don’t have an issue with them taking a DE worthy of the selection, I fear that they will reach in the first to try to fill that need. As it stands they’re going to have to manufacture pressures with scheme and blitzing. That only goes so far though. I’m not comfortable with Rousseau and Epenesa as the starters. If we don’t get much from Von, the. that’s where we are. I just don’t see two starting DEs on this team today.

WR is a close second. The Bills really need an X, but they have three WRs that can go in week one with Diggs, Samuel and Shakir. If they’re going with a rookie to fill that - and I’m 99.9% sure that’s the direction they’re going - then they have to get the player in this draft. That will also ease the transition away from Diggs. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billl said:

I think you could be right - though unsure there will be a really good prospect at DE available at 28.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much havoc Chop Robinson created in a couple of games I watched, while he had a few good pressures, he couldn’t get home.  So, maybe on him.  If they were higher in round 2 maybe Braswell.  I guess some like Kneeland - I have to find and watch some of his games.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Process said:

I think you can make the case that our 22 starters are already on the roster. 

WR- 99% of us want the Bills to take a WR in Rd 1 to be the WR2 and eventual WR1. Do the Bills see it that way or are they good with Shakir/Samuels/Holllins?

We are in pretty good shape heading into the draft. 

Not sure 99% want us to use a 1st round pick in year with good depth.  Sounds like made up percentage. Major advantage is 5th year contract but at cost of current WRs it may not be worth it.  This year has a lot of projected depth in WR as well so Bills could take one in 2nd and another later and one could help with special teams.

Biggest need is pass rush, the Rd1 WR fans won't like that though.

I'd breakdown into "starter needed", "should look to improve", "depth needed":

Starters (2): WR-X, DE

Improve (4): LG/C, DT3, FS, RB2

Depth (5): T, IOL, DT, LB, CB.  Highest need is OL depth IMO, then secondary and then DT4

Coincidentally, that's 11 players=11 picks.  I'd be shocked if our first 2 picks aren't DE/WR, in either order.  After that, BPA in the improvement category, I'd think DT3 has slightly higher impact than the others (and RB2 could be a FA post draft)

This might be the first year that Beane trades back (ie: get a 2nd and 3rd).  We might be best off on this path, if we find a trading partner.  Theoretically, could then go:

Rd2: WR-X (tier 2 of guys, which is like a 1st in any other year), DE (tier 2, which would be all we need if Von rebounds)

Rd 3: either Dt or S- I'd prefer a DT, given it's importance in rotation

That would fill out our top needs quite nicely, and balance out the DL/pass rush and WR.  Just hope Edwards/Rapp overachieve, or we hit on a S in Rd4+

Edited by MasterStrategist

Guys I am not comfortable as starters:

Rapp or Edwards (at least 1 safety)

Epenesa (at least 1 DE 

McGovern as Center (stay at LG)

Samuel is a #3/#4 (1 WR)

Backup Help

Competition for Bass

4th or 5th Round DT

Can't cut Martin, so get rid of Haack

Power back so Ty Johnson is #3 in rounds 4-6

Developmental Tackle/Guard 

Depth everywhere

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you can make the case that the Bills could play the season (barring injury) with guys currently on the roster, but I don't think the 22 starters actually are on the roster.  

In the first place, it's quite likely that their first and second round picks will start, if not in September, at least by November.  

Just off the top of my head, I'd say this:

Maybe the DT starters, technically, are on the roster (Jones and Oliver), but the rotation guys are like starters, and I'd guess there's another DT coming, and an edge.  

I think a starting safety is coming, somehow (unless my theory about Taron Johnson moving turns out to be correct, in which case the safeties are on the roster, but one of the three starting corners is not).

I don't think the starting wideout is on the roster.  I just don't see the Bills going with Diggs-Samuels-Shakir.  Maybe Shorter comes out of nowhere, but I doubt it.  

There might be a guard who shows up.  

Whether all those guess are right, I don't know.   Only one of them has to be right to prove that all the starters are not yet on the roster. 

I can't rule out any of your well thought out scenarios.  They all could be accurate. Thanks

#1 - WR1 (we should be preparing now for life after diggs)

#2- Center (moving McGovern over is not the best idea)

#3- DT ( a RUN stuffer, not a penetrating like oliver)

#4- OT (there is no quality depth) i know u said starters, but i'm not convinced on spencer brown yet.