Bills sign a safety!!!! Mike Edwards a Bill

DJB

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I'm just going to go ahead and trust this staff with the defensive secondary.  They have a pretty good track record.

That's how I feel, too. 

McDermott and his staff seem to get the best out of most of their DBs.   Jordan Poyer didn't start any games in his first two seasons.  He started only 10 games out of 20 games he played for the Browns in his last 2 seasons with the Browns.   I doubt that any Bills fan seven years ago thought he would become an All Pro.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Billl said:

We definitely weren’t complaining.  $3 million was a good deal.  Given the state of the FA Safety market right now, I’m guessing Buffalo got him for that or less which is a solid deal.  If you’re expecting a high end backup or lower end but serviceable starter, you’re going to be happy.  If you’re expecting him to be peak Jordan Poyer they you’re going to be disappointed.

I mention Poyer to remind people he came here with modest expectations… at a similar stage of his career …. if there is one position where McDermott can get a guy to his maximum level it’s Safety … I wish it was DE instead…

I expect Edwards to be $3-3.5m … he doesn’t deserve a haircut after his play last year IMO…  hope it works out and he signs for more here on his next deal like Poyer did..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Great. Now we have three backup safeties. When do we get a starter?

Neither Poyer or Hyde were full time starters when Buffalo brought them in.

Defensive back is the absolute one group I have 100 percent confidence that McDermott (Beane) knows what he’s doing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

Just now, finn said:

What don't you like about him? He's the athletic white guy, right? 

Exactly.

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

he has the stench of chief upon him

Could've been the stench of Commander again.

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I seem to recall Cam Lewis playing quite a bit of safety last year something Matakevich never did and Hamlin never did until he was literally the last human on the roster who could play it.

5'9" what....180?...from UB...would you be talking about him in this draft? He's a borderline P.S. special teamer. Wait, I already explained that once.

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

His old self wasn’t good. He’s a worse version of Rapp imo and I’m not a big Rapp fan. More of a country guy 😆 

Maybe he becomes what Dane Jackson was  to the DB room. I hope so, but I don't feel good with him having to start.

Edit" if you're talking about Lewis

Edited by nosejob

30 minutes ago, Beast said:

Neither Poyer or Hyde were full time starters when Buffalo brought them in.

Defensive back is the absolute one group I have 100 percent confidence that McDermott (Beane) knows what he’s doing.

I had watched plenty of Hyde and some of Poyer. I have watched plenty of Edwards. I was confident about both the first two - I said on here Hyde was "great signing". I am less confident on Edwards. Not that he can't start..... but if he is your best safety you have a problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, nosejob said:

5'9" what....180?...from UB...would you be talking about him in this draft? He's a borderline P.S. special teamer. Wait, I already explained that once.

who just got a 2 year deal. You clearly have zero idea what your talking about 

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If I'm interpreting this correctly, this guy takes Rapp's old job as 3rd safety and they still need a starter.

Is that correct?

We signed Rapp too though. That is what confuses me. I think Edwards is a slight upgrade but neither is a guy I want as my best safety.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I had watched plenty of Hyde and some of Poyer. I have watched plenty of Edwards. I was confident about both the first two - I said on here Hyde was "great signing". I am less confident on Edwards. Not that he can't start..... but if he is your best safety you have a problem.

yea, Hyde had a ton of very good tape 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

who just got a 2 year deal. You clearly have zero idea what your talking about 

So we differ. He's not or never will be at any time, a starting quality safety in the NFL....so there