Bills sign a safety!!!! Mike Edwards a Bill

DJB

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I don’t know, call me an idiot but I’ll take McDermott’s evaluation of those positions and give it a little more credibility than yours.

And to think, the off-season has a long ways to go and we also have a thing called the draft ahead of us.

Ahhh yes, the I trust McD when it comes to DBs argument.  Whaley’s scouts were a part of drafting Tre and signing Hyde and Poyer. Taron  is a good player but everything else has not been good. Benford is super overrated because of draft position and beating Elam for the starting spot. Jackson always killed us on third down. Wallace was shaky but a good find considering he was a FA. Elam looks like a bust.  We had safeties play behind Hyde and Poyer for a couple years and when they got their shot due to injury they were terrible. McD the DB guru is a total myth really. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Rapp and Edwards starting?

Good solid safeties? No, they're not.

I sincerely hope that is not the plan.

PFF rankings for last season,

Edwards 82nd of 95 qualified safeties

Rapp.  85th of 95 

What a dynamic duo

Regardless of your opinion of PFF ...

• Disagree 2

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Rapp.  85th of 95 

What a dynamic duo

pfff sounds like a wet fart

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Rapp.  85th of 95 

What a dynamic duo

Going through Chiefs twitter and seeing how many are upset to see him leave and come here is all I need. He’s a baller. Takeaway % is high. 4 TDs. Shows up big in the playoffs. 2 rings.  Great signing.  

Go ahead…make my day….  

BOOKMARK THIS BABY. 

15 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

pfff sounds like a wet fart

Original....

I'm not their no. 1 fan but if you're rated as two of the very worst safeties...chances are you're not very good

Also, all 32 NFL teams and a couple hundred colleges pay for their professional services, so I'd say they have some credibility.

24 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Going through Chiefs twitter and seeing how many are upset to see him leave and come here is all I need. He’s a baller. Takeaway % is high. 4 TDs. Shows up big in the playoffs. 2 rings.  Great signing.  

Go ahead…make my day….  

BOOKMARK THIS BABY. 

Chiefs signed him for one year last season and they didn't offer him another contract. I wonder why?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Reminds me of what people said when Poyer signed here …

Interesting…The Chiefs paid him $3m last year … did they overpay him?

I don’t think they were complaining when the SB came around…

$3 million on one year deal. Didn't offer him another contract. 

Ya, the Chiefs couldn't have done it without him and his 82nd out of 95 safeties ranking. 

I'm sure the Chiefs SB odds have taken a hit with his loss

15 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

To upset their fans on Twitter obviously. Duh. 

Obviously some fans liked him more than the management.

The Chiefs management has a really good track record the last 6 years

12 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Obviously some fans liked him more than the management.

The Chiefs management has a really good track record the last 6 years

Kidding aside I thought he played great for KC down the stretch. He was signed on as depth but had to fill in due to injuries. Can’t ask for more than that with his price tag. Hopefully he’ll play similarly for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Chiefs signed him for one year last season and they didn't offer him another contract. I wonder why?

The last couple teams he’s played on had safety injuries. He’s been a 3rd safety mostly. Chiefs have their starting safeties in Reid and Cook. The Bills offer a better opportunity to start.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The last couple teams he’s played on had safety injuries. He’s been a 3rd safety mostly. Chiefs have their starting safeties in Reid and Cook. The Bills offer a better opportunity to start.

Like I said earlier, I sincerely hope he and Rapp aren't the starters. I think they are both backups

If they wind up being the starters........then I'll sincerely hope I'm wrong.😉

4 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Thinking back, I felt the same way when Hyde and Poyer showed up.  Neither had really given an indication of how good they would become.  McD needs to work his magic. I do hope the Bills draft someone that can play sooner rather than later.  Having to play Lewis and Hamlin would be a nightmare scenario. 

I didn't.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

These safety signings aren’t upgrades over Poyer/Hyde IMO. I see them drafting a safety early 

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m not too worried about the S spot.

Poyer and Hyde have been good, but they got old and those two were ALWAYS exposed when the games REALLY mattered.

McDermott can turn chicken crap into chicken salad when it comes to the secondary. That’s McDermott’s strength as a coach.

I’m not worried. 

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

they have 2 other safeties that are also starters

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

These safety signings aren’t upgrades over Poyer/Hyde IMO. I see them drafting a safety early 

I love both those guys, but they did not have a great year last season

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This leaves open possibility of adding a veteran starter still IMO

Leaves the door wide open to draft one high as well. That price should also fall under the comp pick level as well and not take anything away. Good value signing IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Edwards, it appears is taking #21.

That’s cold. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Leaves the door wide open to draft one high as well. That price should also fall under the comp pick level as well and not take anything away. Good value signing IMO

I think this is more likely the case.

Edwards will be this year’s Taylor Rapp signing. I think they draft a FS.

It would be awesome to land Blackmon still, though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Edwards, it appears is taking #21.

That’s cold. 

he said he's friends with Poyer and wants to wear 21 because of that supposedly 

3 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I'm not sure i really like this signing........ya dig?

Care to explain why?   What exactly is negative about a 1 year 2.8 mil contract for a 27 year old with 2 Championships on 2 different teams.  With 13 takeways in 28 starts, 3 playoff INTs  and 4 Defensive TDs.  Who can play SS, FS, Nickel 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he said he's friends with Poyer and wants to wear 21 because of that supposedly 

Care to explain why?   What exactly is negative about a 1 year 2.8 mil contract for a 27 year old with 2 Championships on 2 different teams.  With 13 takeways in 28 starts, 3 playoff INTs  and 4 Defensive TDs.  Who can play SS, FS, Nickel 

I'm not saying he's not a great addition....it's just that i prefer Blackman

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wish they went 2 years with Edwards.

Beane was too cheap …Edwards obviously going to bet on himself to get paid more next year ..

They have now signed both Rapp and Edwards to less money than what they paid Hyde last year … 

They could easily still make another add if they wanted from Free Agency and probably still be some margin under what they paid Poyer and Hyde last year 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Beane was too cheap …Edwards obviously going to bet on himself to get paid more next year ..

They have now signed both Rapp and Edwards to less money than what they paid Hyde last year … 

They could easily still make another add if they wanted from Free Agency and probably still be some margin under what they paid Poyer and Hyde last year 

I would still try hard for one more veteran that way they would only have to draft a safety if he was the clear BPA. I think this draft has multiple guys who would benefit from only playing specials for a year then taking over for Rapp/Edwards in 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

Most important thing about this signing is that we are now spending roughly $38M on the entire secondary (post-6/1 when Tre's cap hit is reduced), and that will likely be closer to $34M or so when Taron Johnson's extension is officially reported. This represents a welcome and major redistribution of resources from our secondary to more important positions on the roster.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Most important thing about this signing is that we are now spending roughly $38M on the entire secondary (post-6/1 when Tre's cap hit reduced), and that will likely be closer to $34M or so when Taron Johnson's extension is officially reported. This represents a welcome and major redistribution of resources from our secondary to more important positions on the roster.

Bingo. Can’t get younger and cheaper without getting younger and cheaper. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This leaves open possibility of adding a veteran starter still IMO

I get cap inflation, but seems like a lot for a guy who wasn't even a starter on the Chiefs and they didn't want back.  I get that he started at the end of the season, but that was due to injury