Jeremiah has us taking a DT at 28 in his latest mock

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think anything is to be honest, not at 28.

One of these top flight wideouts with Josh and Diggs and Kincaid drawing attention... I'm leaning toward an immediate impact.  

700+ yards.  8-12 TDs. 

Lofty expectations, I know.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

One of these top flight wideouts with Josh and Diggs and Kincaid drawing attention... I'm leaning toward an immediate impact.  

700+ yards.  8-12 TDs. 

Lofty expectations, I know.  

I’m just saying but that’s Gabe Davis #s.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m just saying but that’s Gabe Davis #s.

Correct, but add in the hopeful production of Curtis Samuel and improved chemistry with Kincaid as well.  Gabe Davis numbers from rookie start to look damn good then.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Johnny Newton is a steal at #28, I really do. He is a top 10 talent in this class for me. I absolutely love him. 

However, I will make the same point I have made over and over.... the second best and most impactful player on the Bills in 2023 was Ed Oliver. He played 70% of the snaps and when you have paid a DL that kind of money you need them to be on the field in that range. Newton is a 3T. Can he play some 1T, sure. Hell Ed Oliver played a ton of 1T his second season with the Bills when Star opted out because the other DTs sucked against the run. But that isn't where you will see him to best effect. Newton can be a stud 3T in the NFL. But I don't think the Bills can afford to spend their 1st round pick on the second most settled position on the team after Quarterback. 

He is two spots off the bottom of that list and yet just outplayed half those above him. 

I am not into trading up for him, but if Latu got to #28 I'd pick him. 

His point was in 7 drafts they have drafted exactly two defensive tackles - Oliver and Phillips. That is because they have spent way too many FA $$s there IMO.

he can make his own point with me. that's not what he said. 

Jeremiah describes the pick as a "slightly undersized" DT.  If there's a big space eater that can wreck havoc with the offensive line and blow up the line of scrimmage consistently like a Chris Jones then I'm all in on DT.  But such a player wouldn't last until 28.  At 28 best WR prospect available and fill in the defense in the 2nd and later.   

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

29 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Are there any WRs that would not be worth the pick at 28?  Or do we just pick any WR regardless of what’s left just cause of need.  

90% of the people here are going to be outraged because the Bills didn’t take a WR in the first round - or they’re going to be outraged by the WR the Bills took in the first round. Then within two weeks those same 90% will have talked themselves into believing that the player the Bills drafted was 100% the correct decision. 

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

90% of the people here are going to be outraged because the Bills didn’t take a WR in the first round - or they’re going to be outraged by the WR the Bills took in the first round. Then within two weeks those same 90% will have talked themselves into believing that the player the Bills drafted was 100% the correct decision. 

It’s hard to remain in a state of outrage. But we do a decent job on here. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not the preferred choice by me or most fans. But it's not an "AWFUL" idea. 

Right now we have Ed Oliver and Daquan Jones at DT and that's literally it. And we use a heavy rotation there.

DT will probably be one of our first 2 picks. And there's an argument to be made with how deep WR is and how thin top prospect D-Line talent is that it makes more sense to take the DT first and trade up in Round 2 for a WR.

I'd rather we didn't do that. But to say there isn't merit in the idea or that it's "AWFUL" isn't true.

If you waste a first round pick on a player you plan to not start and rotate in for less than 50% of defensive snaps, it should be grounds for immediate firing.

The issue I see. The two DT projected to go in the first round would be back ups to Oliver.  In the 2nd round there’s projected 3, that I see making an immediate impact as back ups.

I could see getting a 2nd round DT and then doubling down in the 4th or 5th.  It’s not the best DT draft, a lot of lighter guys that could never fill Jones’ spot. 

Like most fans I'm onboard with taking a receiver with our first pick at #28. The Bills O could really do with an X who can reliably stretch the field. Subject to finding a power back in FA of the draft (A. Estime?), adding that skillset would complete the weaponry for Allen and Brady and put the onus on them because there would be plenty of offensive talent. 
I have a feeling that the Bills could well go defence (DT or secondary)or edge at 28 depending on how the board looks and try to move down from 60 for probably Franklin or maybe Leggette in the second. Or they may trade down and look to get one of those guys with their first pick. 
If Thomas or AD Mitchell was available at 28 I'd just take either, recognizing that neither is a perfect can't miss prospect. Wouldn't want to see those guys with PM in KC.

It is all going to come down to perceived value, supply, and demand.  A run on receivers or d-tackles might force Beane in one direction.  It could also be a situation where a player drops and is the best value on the board.  We won't know for sure until the draft unfolds.  I am confident that having 5 or 6 teams taking QB's before pick 28 will guarantee that some really good value will be available.  As free agency unfolds; WR, Safety, and d-tackle appear to be the most important needs.  And to a lesser degree, they also need to add at CB and IOL.  Because of the concentration of positional needs and the number of picks, Beane will be able to trade picks to move around and still pick more than one in some of these position groups.  It's no surprise to me that Beane has himself in a great position going into the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Are there any WRs that would not be worth the pick at 28?  Or do we just pick any WR regardless of what’s left just cause of need.  

It is highly probable that a WR worthy of pick 28 will be available.  There are also a large number of receivers that make sense for a day two pick and should not be selected in the first round.

19 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

/wrist

Good Lord, this would be an AWFUL idea

McDermott effect,  the guy will never learn that your not getting to the Super Bowl investing most of your prime resources into your defence

14 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

It is highly probable that a WR worthy of pick 28 will be available.  There are also a large number of receivers that make sense for a day two pick and should not be selected in the first round.

The problem with that strategy is that seemingly every year, there is major run on WRs early in the second round. The year we drafted Cook was an example.  I think Beane really wanted one of the WRs, but they were all gone by the time our number came up and Beane kept trading back...I suspect guys like Leggette, Franklin, Worthy, McConkey and Coleman will get snapped up by midway through round 2, if they don't go in the first.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Nothing truer has been spoken on this board. If it’s not a WR or a big one or the fastest guy they’ll B word. The outrage of the Kincaid pick was laughable last year

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not the preferred choice by me or most fans. But it's not an "AWFUL" idea. 

Right now we have Ed Oliver and Daquan Jones at DT and that's literally it. And we use a heavy rotation there.

DT will probably be one of our first 2 picks. And there's an argument to be made with how deep WR is and how thin top prospect D-Line talent is that it makes more sense to take the DT first and trade up in Round 2 for a WR.

I'd rather we didn't do that. But to say there isn't merit in the idea or that it's "AWFUL" isn't true.

Please don’t discuss logic in the face of an emotional knee jerk reaction.  After all there is  100% success with WR’s taken in late rd#1.

• Haha (+1) 1