Justin Fields traded to Steelers

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

FA QB market dried up quickly, but a 2025 6th?? Would’ve been better off keeping him, and waiting to see if a team’s QB gets hurt in Training Camp

I guess Wilson starting isn’t a lock for Pittsburgh 

Russ is on a one year deal. Fields on last year of deal.  So maybe they think they can develop him 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

Steelers needed depth with Pickett and Rudolph gone 

Good move for the Steelers.    Young, athletic backup with upside.   I am sure they think they will be drafting in the 20's next year and not be in line for a top ranked draft eligible QB so they get a chance to see if Fields is a fit and perhaps have an edge in his free agency next offseason.   No way he gets that $25M option picked up.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

A 2025 6th?! That's the best they could do? With multiple teams nowhere at QB and relying on a Rookie.

Man, the league doesn't think much of Fields.

I think more of Fields than I do Pickett… Not by much though 😂

• Simon changed the title to Justin Fields traded to Steelers

If I'm Fields I'm feeling a certain kind of way. First the bears actually add some decent playmakers, then ship him off on the cheap to a place he won't be given a shot to start day 1 regardless of how he looks in camp. 

He has shown some ability at times, I don't think he is in the back up for life category yet. Tough day for the kid.  Odd day to be a bears fan as well lol

• Like (+1) 2

My first thoughts were "wow, only a 6th?!" but I really don't think Fields is very good...

I still think Russ will get the starting job in Pittsburgh, so this is just an insurance policy. He's interesting for the running element to his game, but otherwise he puts up Tyrod passing numbers.

18 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Not for nothing did the Steelers get more for Pickett than they had sent to the bears for fields?

Fields is better and has more potential than pickett

It's all about the length of contracts. Fields is in the last year of his, Pickett has 2 years left.  

2 minutes ago, Maynard said:

In all seriousness, I would have made that deal. Run the ***** out the backfield and let Brady have fun with it. He’s an elite runner at least and worthy of a ***** pick. 

I would have done A LOT of things before I brought Trubisky back.   He is certified useless at this point.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol Steelers.

their QB room since Big Ben left…..

What is there to LOL about?  They don't have a good enough position in the draft to get a top QB, and they don't have enough draft capital to move up.  They signed a FA QB who was once considered a shoo-in for the HOF on a cheap, prove-it deal, and then they traded a next-to-nothing to get a former first round QB who seems to have at least the potential to be a decent NFL starter, which their former starting QB lacked.    They've improve their QB situation significantly with hardly any impact to their cap space.  

11 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Hey man, at least they’re consistently trying to find an answer instead of acquiring a guy and riding it out way too long. 

At least they didn’t do the Denver way and give up insane premium assets to just cut ties before 2 seasons are up. 

Exactly.   I think it's a brilliant solution to the situation that the Steelers found themselves in when it became apparent that Pickett, like about half of QBs drafted in the first round, wasn't starter material.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting move. Fields may do well with good coaching, not sure what is Pittsburgh 

Never rhought the Bears would get a high draft pick for him. Pitt grabs him for a conditional 6th, that converts to a 4th with playing time.

4 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Why would you tie up the almost 4 million in cap space?

Yeah, I get it. Just having fun with it. I think Brady could get clever with him. Might be enough to take us over the hump and only for a 6th round pick. He wouldn’t hit that 4th round pick criteria here.