Running Back- whats the plan?

Pete

24 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Elliott is intriguing. Other FAs available. Otherwise, day 3 pick. 

Zeke was on our radar last year, not sure why he wouldn't be this year. Also other mentioned CEH has ties to Brady and don't think he a horrible depth RB who brings a little size to the room too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Right now we have Cook and Ty, both of I am fans of.  But Buffalo needs a short yardage back that can pass block.  If Cook gets injured, is Ty our #1 through the playoffs?  Running back FA contracts have been surprisingly large.  So who do you want as RB 2?  I want to see a major upgrade for Latavious

It wouldn't bother me if they brought back Murray on a vet minimum deal, they could do a lot worse and he is a load and did some nice things last season if there is someone they feel is better go for it but given what they have done to this point i don't see a lot of money left for a 3rd or 4th RB .

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I would wait till after the draft to sign any FA RB. Draft one and sign some undrafted ones. If none pan out the way we want can sign another one post cutdown day. Grab a vet Safety and DT before worrying about the RB position.

yea but you want a guy that’s got some experience if cook gets hurt.

ty Johnson or a day 3 guy would be a real tough pill in a playoff run… not that the free agents are great but at least some cushion

A guy like Foreman would be a good fit.  He's a) a bigger, more rugged type of runner; b) experienced, and has had some success in the league; c) only 27, so still in his prime for another season or 2; d) available; and e) likely not too expensive.  He played for the Bears on a 1-year $2M contract and I could see the Bills signing him to a similar deal. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Agree 100%. Cook wore down last season. We absolutely need a complimentary RB who can take a good bit of the load off of him. 

He didn’t wear down; they stopped giving him the ball.  

He only had over 20 carries in one game all season (25 for 179 yards). 

It’s amazing what running backs can do when they get a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Donte Forman is still out there! 

They can definitely address this in Wave 2 of FA

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

A guy like Foreman would be a good fit.  He's a) a bigger, more rugged type of runner; b) experienced, and has had some success in the league; c) only 27, so still in his prime for another season or 2; d) available; and e) likely not too expensive.  He played for the Bears on a 1-year $2M contract and I could see the Bills signing him to a similar deal. 

Totally agree.  I also think Foreman is worth looking at to fill the big-back spot.

Use a 6th on another back with the skill set of a Cook.

Let the rookie and Ty battle for RB#3 and the loser goes to PS.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

So if Cook is injured, then you are ok with Ty and a 6th round RB being our backfield for the playoffs?

You have to concede somewhere eventually. And that’s a place I’d be willing to gamble on. As opposed to WR depth. Or OL/DL depth. 

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He definitely wore down.  He had FAR more carries last season than in any season he ever participated in, and his ypc and yards after contact dropped significantly at the tail end of the season.  He’s not a Derrick Henry type back, and he’s going to need relief or he will be injured. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

He definitely wore down.  He had FAR more carries last season than in any season he ever participated in, and his ypc and yards after contact dropped significantly at the tail end of the season.  He’s not a Derrick Henry type back, and he’s going to need relief or he will be injured. 

I respectfully disagree. 

The kid averages about 12 carries/game. 

And I’m certainly not saying he’s a 30-40 attempts/game back. 

I am saying I’m fine with the RBs we have now. 

Draft a guy in Rd 6 or sign the cheapest FA available sometime before September. Just no the oldest RB in the league this time. 

8 hours ago, Pete said:

So if Cook is injured, then you are ok with Ty and a 6th round RB being our backfield for the playoffs?

1000000%%%

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Disagree. It was by far his biggest workload for a season, including college. His touches increased when Brady took over. He looked spent by the playoffs. He wasn’t running the same and he wasn’t catching the ball the same. You can’t give him the kind of workload Brady did for a whole season.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yes. There hasn't been a RB that has moved the needle in the playoffs in what a decade or more. If Cook gets hurt they will just need yo adjust. 

Not every great play shows up in stats.  When RB steps up and stones a blitzer, Josh would have time for big throw.   Cook just might get Josh killed out there.   Pass protecting RB is a need.  

PS McCaffery is pretty awesome 

Edited by Pete