CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I like the move. He’s a playmaker and has speed.  We’re loaded underneath. Beane has been preaching RAC every offseason.  Now he has it.  Samuel, cook, kincaid, shakir are all explosive playmakers imo.  Knox and Diggs aren’t too shabby either. 

He’d be a fine signing for KC.  I’m sure Veach has something up his sleeve.  

He’s just not an X in many peoples opinion, mine included.  He’s best in the slot and we already have a young up and coming slot playing on a rookie contract. We have limited resources and I can understand people preferring to invest resources to fill and immediate hole.  Samuel is almost a luxury based on his skill set. Maybe those people are wrong and Samuel can fill the roll outside.  Brady will just have to get creative.  I suspect that we’ll be seeing some Mack Hollins playing more X than many think.  

I just clicked in to see what people were saying about Samuel.  I don't know the league personnel very well, and I have no real opinion about Samuel as a player.  I'm sure I've seen him, but I don't remember any play he's ever made.  

However, my opinion about the signing, as soon as I looked at his career stats, was what you said (in bold) above.  This is a veteran receiver with physical skills (second round pick}.   He has a lot of playing time.  He must know the game.  

What I'm hoping for, and expecting, out of Brady is some sophisticated route designs that attack weaknesses in defenses from week to week.  What those play designs require is smart receivers, guys who can read defenses and adapt.  I think Diggs is one of those, and I think Shakir is one.  Kincaid looks like one, and Knox isn't bad either.  I think Samuel is one.  

And I think this is exactly the kind of guy that Reid likes on his team, a guy who can execute schemes with speed and who can catch the ball.  

I don't know Xs from Ys and slot guys and all that, but I don't think the physical differences in guys is what matters in those positions.   I think the modern passing game is largely about attacking the weaknesses in the defense, and that takes brains, not physique.   I like this signing.  And I don't think it means the Bills won't take a receiver in the first round.   What Samuel does is eliminate the NEED to go receiver early.  It gives Beane flexibility in the draft.  

And I'll go back to the point Transplant made in his thread.  This team is getting better.  Dodson, Settle, Jackson are losses, but they can be and will be replaced.  There'll still be some talent signed in free agency, and the draft will help.  

I like this team. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

100% still draft a WR in the first round. Keep adding weapons. Samuel complements the WR group perfectly and doesn’t force them into a “type” of receiver. They have Diggs, Shakir, Samuel, Kincaid..all guys who add dimensions to the offense. Now you can just take the best receiver left. I like what they are doing. Call me crazy! Let’s outscore everyone. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Samuel's ability to beat man coverage is one of the main things he brings to the Bills.  With the exception of Diggs, the WR room did not have this ability.  Samuel will be the guy that will deter defenses from blitzing with straight man to man behind it.  KC did that to the Bills in the playoffs and nobody could make them pay.  With 4.31 speed, two steps will mean some big plays.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I want a big X receiver. Coleman or Legette for me. Not going to be unhappy with any WR they take in the 1st round though.

No, it was mainly a joke, but the idea of having another super fast guy is fun to contemplate.

I've said already till it's boring for others. I'd love to be able to get Thomas. I'd pay too much to get him. Beane won't.

My next on the wish list is Mitchell. I think he can be really good, and he might be within reach.

Then Legette, and Coleman for me in that order. You might be able to trade back a bit and still get Legette. Can't get a read on Coleman

and where he's likely to go.

I love the versatility Beane is infusing into the WR room, but they still need the big X. Those who are skeptical about that need are simply fooling themselves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Can someone fill me in on why this is some great signing?  Guy has put up fairly pedestrian numbers in two different spots.  Not saying he won't be a contributor, but this giving me Jamison Crowder vibes.

Pedestrian QB’s throwing to him…👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Can someone fill me in on why this is some great signing?  Guy has put up fairly pedestrian numbers in two different spots.  Not saying he won't be a contributor, but this giving me Jamison Crowder vibes.

I think it’s more John Brown-ish with more versatility in terms of how he is used. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

did you also see the part where they are only paying him $8m a year ?

Ridley got $23m a year yesterday…and Gabe $13m earlier …

You get what you pay for right … and they aren’t shopping on 5th Ave

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I just clicked in to see what people were saying about Samuel.  I don't know the league personnel very well, and I have no real opinion about Samuel as a player.  I'm sure I've seen him, but I don't remember any play he's ever made.  

However, my opinion about the signing, as soon as I looked at his career stats, was what you said (in bold) above.  This is a veteran receiver with physical skills (second round pick}.   He has a lot of playing time.  He must know the game.  

What I'm hoping for, and expecting, out of Brady is some sophisticated route designs that attack weaknesses in defenses from week to week.  What those play designs require is smart receivers, guys who can read defenses and adapt.  I think Diggs is one of those, and I think Shakir is one.  Kincaid looks like one, and Knox isn't bad either.  I think Samuel is one.  

And I think this is exactly the kind of guy that Reid likes on his team, a guy who can execute schemes with speed and who can catch the ball.  

I don't know Xs from Ys and slot guys and all that, but I don't think the physical differences in guys is what matters in those positions.   I think the modern passing game is largely about attacking the weaknesses in the defense, and that takes brains, not physique.   I like this signing.  And I don't think it means the Bills won't take a receiver in the first round.   What Samuel does is eliminate the NEED to go receiver early.  It gives Beane flexibility in the draft.  

And I'll go back to the point Transplant made in his thread.  This team is getting better.  Dodson, Settle, Jackson are losses, but they can be and will be replaced.  There'll still be some talent signed in free agency, and the draft will help.  

I like this team. 

The game has evolved past x, z and slot.  Samuel has the juice and skill set to play outside.  The advance metrics points to him being very effective in that role.  Diggs, Shakir and Samuel can line up anywhere.  So can Kincaid and Cook.  

In term of production I would point to his qbs.  Carolina and Washington have had bad qbs. I expect Samuel in a steady role has a career year.  He can do it all plus adds some of the gimmick plays and Debo Samuel stuff.  If they take a Wr in the Top 60 picks Buffalo will have the best Wr room Allen has played with.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Excellent signing. Good RAC guy. Good hands as well. Upgraded.

I expect there will be lots of receptions at the LOS for this guy. They had Diggs receiving those throws late in the season and that’s not his game at all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

There is absolutely no comparison between Samuel and Crowder.  Samuel is a faster, bigger, stronger player.  He is a big play threat because of his ability to run after the catch.  Crowder was never a big play threat.  Samuel played a lot in the slot in Washington because Dotson and McLaurin don't.  He also played with very bad QB's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is extremely defeatist of me, but I am concerned they are not going to learn their lesson about WR and the first round WR may not be coming now.

I'm hopeful this signing is evidence that they're targeting a big WR with their 1st pick. Size is the one element we are still missing. Diggs and Samuel can be moved around the formation and do a little bit of everything. We still need our true X receiver, and have him ready to step into Diggs' role in 2025.

Something I haven't seen anyone mention - Beane officially did not restructure Diggs' contract this season. I didn't expect him to, but the fact that he didn't means they are not confident Diggs will be on the team in 2025. They are going to prepare for his eventual exit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3