The Bills will be better in 2024 and everyone overreacted

Just now, Success said:

Why not list the guys coming back from injury, too?

Morse is a loss.  Poyer & Hyde were almost holding us back, imo - both lost a step, and we lost speed in the secondary as a result.  White hardly played for us, and Davis was wildly inconsistent.

I like the direction of younger & faster

The direction they are going makes sense and is a positive. There is no way they will be better than last season when they are relying on that many draft picks to fill holes. 

I'm expecting a step back this season and possibly next. 

Just now, Success said:

Why not list the guys coming back from injury, too?

Morse is a loss.  Poyer & Hyde were almost holding us back, imo - both lost a step, and we lost speed in the secondary as a result.  White hardly played for us, and Davis was wildly inconsistent.

I like the direction of younger & faster

I like the concept but who is faster and younger? Lewis and Rapp have been here and are not faster or better. Younger ok. Like it or not Davis our #2 and has yet to be replaced. We did bring in 30 year old Hollins who is not faster or younger. But again I like the concept of younger and faster. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

All those day three picks should be fighting with Hollins, Morrow, Lewis, Rapp, etc for jobs. 

So you lose Morse, Poyer, Hyde, White, Floyd, Davis and that equals better? Those guys must have sucked. 

Yup I do because we have Josh Allen and we have a draft and it’s only day 1 of Free Agency. We’ll sign cheaper guys to fill holes as this thing goes along 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The direction they are going makes sense and is a positive. There is no way they will be better than last season when they are relying on that many draft picks to fill holes. 

I'm expecting a step back this season and possibly next. 

That's fair. But I'm looking at a team that lost a coin flip kind of game to the eventual SB champs, and in that game were missing 2 stellar LB's that will be back, had one starting CB out (who will be back), and one clearly hampered by injury who will be back to full health.  I think Von will be a big contributor a year removed from the injury, and Jones is back to health.

I mean, if those guys had played, we might be talking about how we can repeat this year.  I get that we also have holes at safety & WR right now, but having so many picks in the upcoming draft feels like good timing when it's a deep WR class, and there are so many safeties on the market.

Something was off w/ Diggs, too.  We'll see if it was age, or an injury that they just didn't talk about too much.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 2

At the moment I am not seeing how we are better. Okay FA is only officially hours old and the draft is still to come, but I don't see a fast path to improvement. 

Where there is hope is in their best young players - Cook, Benford, Bernard, Kincaid, Torrence - taking another step. But they need that plus one or two good players breaking out...  maybe Rousseau? Maybe Brown?

1 minute ago, Success said:

That's fair. But I'm looking at a team that lost a coin flip kind of game to the eventual SB champs, and in that game were missing 2 stellar LB's that will be back, had on starting CB out (who will be back), and one clearly hampered by injury who will be back to full health.  I think Von will be a big contributor a year removed from the injury, and Jones is back to health.

I mean, if those guys had played, we might be talking about how we can repeat this year.  I get that we also have holes at safety & WR right now, but having so many picks in the upcoming draft feels like good timing when it's a deep WR class, and there are so many safeties on the market.

Something was off w/ Diggs, too.  We'll see if it was age, or an injury that they just didn't talk about too much.

The rest of the Division looks like a joke … so I’m pretty confident they can get back to the playoffs with a home game again…

They still have some good players …some that have not yet reached their peak,,,

However, They won’t have the depth of last year …so they are going to need to be lucky with injuries…

But like I said earlier … unless their Receivers dramatically improve through the draft … then they won’t do any damage to the elite AFC teams … we can’t sit here in March and say whether that will be the case or not … they can draft the guy(s) they want and we still won’t know if they are difference makers until Oct/Nov

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

????

Nick Broeker, Alex Austin, Justin Shorter, Shakir, Benford, Araiza, Tenuta, Spector, Doyle, Stevenson, Wildgoose, Hamlin, Anderson, Fromm, Bass, Hodgins, Jackson.

That’s 4 years of day 3 picks. I count 4 guys who are starters at the NFL level that aren’t kickers or punters, and 1 of them that “seriously” contributed for the Bills as a rookie. Out of 17 picks. But this is the draft where we are gonna get 2 or 3 of them. Because we need it to happen, I guess?

Oh hell.... did you even read what I said in literally the very next sentence?????

All of the players you just listed were somewhere in the NFL on an active roster in 2023 with the exception of Araiza (we all know the situation), Stevenson and Wildgoose.

We don't need starters at any position on the team other than arguably WR2 and Safety.  See everything I said about Safety already.  WR2 we're drafting early.

The difference this year will be that a lot more of those day 3 picks will be kept as developmental depth by the Bills... and a few may surprise us and win starting jobs the way Benford did in his 1st year.

29 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think the 2024 Bills are going to thrive off the Underdog mentality because I think most people nationally will feel exactly as you do.

Can't wait to see it!

Notice I said I said I'm definitely not predicting Super Bowl  :nana:

That's fine I hope that's the mentality they have but they won't have enough Horses to get to the Dance this year.  It's going to take at least two years of drafting to replenish the roster.  

And your initial post said you expect the Bills to be better in 2024 so that means you have them at least advancing to the AFC Championship game...I don't see that happening either

Edited by BillsPride12

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oh hell.... did you even read what I said in literally the very next sentence?????

All of the players you just listed were somewhere in the NFL on an active roster in 2023 with the exception of Araiza (we all know the situation), Stevenson and Wildgoose.

We don't need starters at any position on the team other than arguably WR2 and Safety.  See everything I said about Safety already.  WR2 we're drafting early.

The difference this year will be that a lot more of those day 3 picks will be kept as developmental depth by the Bills... and a few may surprise us and win starting jobs the way Benford did in his 1st year.

Having a bunch of guys that would’ve been cut on a better roster does not make your team better.  It actually makes it worse. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yup I do because we have Josh Allen and we have a draft and it’s only day 1 of Free Agency. We’ll sign cheaper guys to fill holes as this thing goes along 

Reading some of these posts, I was starting to think the season started this Sunday..

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At the moment I am not seeing how we are better. Okay FA is only officially hours old and the draft is still to come, but I don't see a fast path to improvement. 

Where there is hope is in their best young players - Cook, Benford, Bernard, Kincaid, Torrence - taking another step. But they need that plus one or two good players breaking out...  maybe Rousseau? Maybe Brown?

Agreed. I'm sure every team can say that as well. -Where they are projecting their younger guys to take a step forward.

I def don't see the bills being better, but a long way to go until week 1 I guess 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I mentioned the draft.  Maybe take the time to read the post rather than looking at the title and maybe the first sentence or 2 and responding, which is clearly what you did.

I’m sure it was great analysis but if it requires a scroll down then I wouldn’t expect many to read the entire essay. Go Bills. 

Of course they'll be better.

Linebackers are all back. Our 2 best d tackles are back and unless you think Philips, Ford, and Settle are studs it won't be hard to upgrade there. 

D ends is a wash unless you think flamed out 2nd half of the year Floyd will be greatly missed.

Corners will be the same or better as Benford and Elam grow. 

Safety is a wash. Poyer and Hyde brought names not plays. 

Offense is about to take off. besides Morse this team will be better across the board. Cook, Kincaid, Shakir will be better. Whatever receiver we take in Round 1 will be better than no show for 3/4 of the season Gabe Davis. Diggs is still Diggs. He just needs a reliable receiver opposite him that can take the roof off and not disappear for games on end. 

Allen is Allen. 

People are ridiculous and watch too much ESPN and Foxsports. NFL isn't the NBA. teams are built throwing systems, drafting, development, and smart depth FA moves. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1