Kirk Cousins gets 4 years, $180M from Falcons

Einstein

18 hours ago, Process said:

I wonder if the Vikings showed any interest in Russ. From his standpoint, Minnesota would seem to be a much more attractive option than Pittsburgh.

Now Minnesota is left with a top WR duo, stud TE, and no QB. 

They have to go rookie deal to pay JJ and the gang.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

IMO Cousins is not as mediocre as some want to make him out to be.   He is a borderline top 10 QB in the league.  

He is absolutely a top 10 QB in the league.

Mahomes, Josh, Burrow, Lamar... and then it gets muddy and Cousins absolutely belongs in that second group and well within the top 10. I'd rather have Cousins than Dak, Goff, Tua, Purdy, etc.

In 2021, Cousins finished 9th in passing (Allen was 8th). In 2022, Cousins was 4th in passing (Allen 7th).

Dude can sling it, and he's tougher than he looks.

This is the best QB Atlanta has had in a while. Since Matty Ice was in his prime (which seems like 20 years ago). And I'd argue he is better than prime Matt Ryan.

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

IMO Cousins is not as mediocre as some want to make him out to be.   He is a borderline top 10 QB in the league.  

I would say he’s solidly top 10, and was top 5 last season until his injury. As long as his Achilles is fully healed, I like this deal for the Falcons. Especially compared to the alternatives (Russ, Darnold, trying to hit in the draft).

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I would say he’s solidly top 10, and was top 5 last season until his injury. As long as his Achilles is fully healed, I like this deal for the Falcons. Especially compared to the alternatives (Russ, Darnold, trying to hit in the draft).

Agreed on top 5.

And mind you, up until a couple years ago (frankly, the Netflix show) I was a Cousins doubter/hater. But the show made me take a better look at him as a QB, and his performance against the Bills in 2022 alone deserves major respect.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:22 PM, Einstein said:

They tried to bluff and Kirk called it.

Their coach made several comments about letting Kirk see the market. How he "earned" it, etc. 

Welp, he saw the market alright.

Watching their interactions on the Netflix show and some other Mic'ed Up clips, I'm very sure O'Connell wanted a new QB.

Even if they arent as good a passer as Cousins, O'Connell wants someone he has more control over.

There was definitely a butting of heads and clash of personalities and philosophies there betwen HC and QB.

At this point, anyone they bring in will be a downgrade from Cousins. We'll see if it's worth it just to let O'Connell truly run the show. Seemed to work with Dobbs last year who just trusted O'Connell and did exactly what the HC told him to do. Until it stopped working.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He is absolutely a top 10 QB in the league.

Mahomes, Josh, Burrow, Lamar... and then it gets muddy and Cousins absolutely belongs in that second group and well within the top 10. I'd rather have Cousins than Dak, Goff, Tua, Purdy, etc.

In 2021, Cousins finished 9th in passing (Allen was 8th). In 2022, Cousins was 4th in passing (Allen 7th).

Dude can sling it, and he's tougher than he looks.

This is the best QB Atlanta has had in a while. Since Matty Ice was in his prime (which seems like 20 years ago). And I'd argue he is better than prime Matt Ryan.

if not for the injury i'd take him over Lamar because of results when it matters. i think cousins could offer more to a team because of his ability to play the position. 

in reality, would i build a team around him over lamar, no. lamar is too good of an athlete.

but in the nfl where all i need is a qulaity qb - i'd take cousins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed on top 5.

And mind you, up until a couple years ago (frankly, the Netflix show) I was a Cousins doubter/hater. But the show made me take a better look at him as a QB, and his performance against the Bills in 2022 alone deserves major respect.

Watching their interactions on the Netflix show and some other Mic'ed Up clips, I'm very sure O'Connell wanted a new QB.

Even if they arent as good a passer as Cousins, O'Connell wants someone he has more control over.

There was definitely a butting of heads and clash of personalities and philosophies there betwen HC and QB.

At this point, anyone they bring in will be a downgrade from Cousins. We'll see if it's worth it just to let O'Connell truly run the show. Seemed to work with Dobbs last year who just trusted O'Connell and did exactly what the HC told him to do. Until it stopped working.

Cousins was O'Connell's best chance to last another year or 2 as Vikings HC.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

if not for the injury i'd take him over Lamar because of results when it matters. i think cousins could offer more to a team because of his ability to play the position. 

in reality, would i build a team around him over lamar, no. lamar is too good of an athlete.

Fair take, and agreed.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Cousins was O'Connell's best chance to last another year or 2 as Vikings HC.

Agreed, it's going to be a "careful what you wish for" scenario for O'Connell.

• Like (+1) 2

With defenses adjusting to offenses by getting faster, and playing more 2 high safety looks, he's in an interesting spot.  Where he excels is getting the ball out quickly, and keeping the offense on schedule.  The lack of athleticism though makes it tougher against better defenses though.  Brady was a pre-snap wizard, and his later bucs years were buoyed by a loaded offense at skill positions while also having a top 10 defense. The playoffs are usually lined with teams who have good pass rushers, and are usually coached by better units, and he'll probably need to perform on the road in potentially inclement weather and at least a hostile environment.  .  

Having said that - he's excellent in a dome vs outdoors so this is a good landing spot (8-9 at home, plus NO on the road).  He was starting to play better in night games where he was traditionally not very good.  He doesn't take himself too seriously, and he seems like a natural leader type.  The question is whether he can perform in the playoffs when a young team really needs him to.  

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

Cousins only has one playoff win vs. Lamar who has 2.  Cousins only win was in 2019 as well so its not particularly recent.