Buffalo Gets 4th round comp pick

This makes me a bit more hesitant to trade up in RD1. 

I think I might reach out to Denver with that RD4 pick and see if we can get a deal for Sutton done.

Edited by SCBills

Now I would really like Beane to trade down in Round 1 if possible, even to the top of Round 2 if needed. The realistic WR targets there - Coleman, Franklin, Legette - are likely still going to be available a few picks later. Get a 3rd rounder if at all possible.

Also with all of these day 3 picks in our bag I would actually use all of them, don't be tempted to trade them away to move up the board. We need the bottom of our roster to get a lot cheaper and start maximizing the value of day 3 rookie contracts. If we plan it right we will be able to make one splash signing in FA because we won't have all our money tied up in overpaid rotational/depth players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Not sure. Maybe the league’s formula changed? OTC had been nailing all of the comp picks for years. They seemed to have it all dialed in. I’m shocked. 

There needs to be an explanation they make public …and even an avenue to appeal this decision 

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I could not disagree more.  The teams that actually develop the minority coaches and GMs and help them become quality performers are the ones that should be rewarded. 

Actually no one should be awarded a damn thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

THIS IS BS!!!!  We were supposed to be pick 99 and instead the Niners who get AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF COMP PICKS take our spot 

Yep, and then when the 49ers are good again next year, Brock Purdy will continue to get talked about as league MVP, when he’ll have a stacked roster around himself.

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

There needs to be an explanation they make public …and even an avenue to appeal this decision 

That’s not going to happen publicly. The NFL will not disclose their formula. I’m sure the Bills could ask the league. But what are they going to say? “Hey, we expected that pick that had not been awarded to us - and that we don’t know the formula for - to be higher. What the hell is going on?”

Edited by BarleyNY

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I could not disagree more.  The teams that actually develop the minority coaches and GMs and help them become quality performers are the ones that should be rewarded. 

Why not both?

Shouldnt be more than a 6th though. I still say Daboll is more black than Mike McDaniel.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s not going to happen publicly. The NFL will not disclose their formula. I’m sure the Bills could ask the league. But what are they going to say? “Hey, we expected that pick that had not been awarded to us to be higher. What they hell is going on?”

Well … this is the problem if the practice is arbitrary … there should be defined parameters… The awarding of picks for minority hires should not be an overriding  driver of this system which primarily exists to offset a team losing an established player they have developed 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why not both?

Shouldnt be more than a 6th though. I still say Daboll is more black than Mike McDaniel.

I think because the point is to develop minority candidates, not create an affirmative action plan. If the hiring team was compensated then there is always the question of whether they were the best candidate. A team could also name a minority as GM in name only. The hiring team’s reward is getting the best candidate for the job. 

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

What's the formula for determining these, anyway? I understand the net loss aspect, but not how they determine the round, etc.

Typically you cancel out closest comparable players in/out and then the remaining losses are the slotted in by average salary signed. Usually incredibly predictable year to year, even though exact thresholds aren’t shared, because you can estimate the line and add a few percentage points similar to cap inflation 

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yikes.  Bad look for us to be operating under the assumption of a 3rd. 

Beane better start developing some minority coaches if we ever want to play the comp pick game apparently.  Can’t wait to have our DC & OC both hired in the next few years for nothing. 

So the NFL using minorities as a commodity…….

🤔 this has never gone wrong before. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is really annoying, it doesn't make any sense to create a system to incentivize the promoting and developing of minority coaches with comp picks only to have it also effect the system used for comp picks that's supposed to help balance things from teams losing good players in FA.

Why have those interconnected?

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We were the lowest 3rd and a minority coach got hired.

Last season weren’t there six 3rd round comp picks awarded? This season it’s 4. Not sure how that can be it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1