Bills DL.......how many come back to the Bills on 1 year contracts??

I think DaQuan and Shaq are both back next year. Floyd and Epenesa will get paid elsewhere. Phillips couldn't stay healthy if his life depended on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back on a cheap deal too. Settle is a JAG. 

8 hours ago, Ben said:

Seems like Floyd is going for 1 last big payday and I bet epenesa gets a much bigger deal than we are all expecting given his age and production last year. The other 4 are in play. None will cost much at their ages and would fill a pressing  need 

Basically 

8 hours ago, Special K said:

In the end, I think the Bills will end up signing DaQuan Jones, Phillips and Lawson.

Phillips looks done.  No full season in 4 years now. And 33 next season.  

Shaq is a vet min post June 1 signing if he comes back.  

OBD would prefer Jones and AJ imho. 

Maybe it's been said already, but I don't see many/any of these guys back on 1-year deals. They're all older and more expensive and less productive than what our cap situation allows for from rotational pieces on defense. The only two guys with real value, Jones and Epenesa, would be too expensive in 2024 without multiple years to backload and spread out the cap hit. Floyd proved he can be effective when healthy, but obviously didn't stay healthy. Gutted it out for many weeks, but at reduced effectiveness. 

So my answer is 0 or 1 of the guys on your list will come back on a 1-year deal. Maybe Settle or Lawson come back at the minimum? Mostly I doubt it. 

I'd expect mostly net new players brought in via free agency, draft, and rookie free agency. 

8 hours ago, Special K said:

Floyd, Epenesa, Settle, Phillips, Jones and Lawson.

You have got to think at least one or two of these guys come back.

Floyd will not be back for less money.....he has no loyalty to the Bills as he only played here for one year.

Epenesa and Jones will be interesting to watch because I am sure the Bills would want these two back on team friendly deals, but they could probably command more money elsewhere....we will see what is most important to them.

I would put Settle, Phillips and Lawson in a category marked "back only if the Bills want them back"....I think Phillips and Lawson are good depth players who are "Buffalo guys" and would want to be back.....they also bring much needed attitude and energy to the defense.

In the end, I think the Bills will end up signing DaQuan Jones, Phillips and Lawson.

What do you think??

I think some will come back after training camp having handshake deal with Beane to be resigned later without having to attend training camp.

9 hours ago, Trust The Process said:

Hard NO to Settle who's just another guy I can replace with someone else cheaper. 

Hard NO to Phillips, gimp, can't trust his availability. 

Hard NO to Lawson who's just another guy. I'd rather draft his replacement on Day 3 of the Draft.

I'd bring back Floyd but only for less than market value which isn't going to happen anyways. 

Jones for no more than $3M per year for 1-2 years

Epenesa for no more than $5M per year

So, nobody then?

We gonna put a hot dog vendor at DT?

IMO the OP has a pretty decent guess. Seems likely we can't pay Epenesa or Floyd. We'll be working hard to bring Jones back and IMO we've got a decent chance there, for more than $3M a year. One or two of the others also seems fairly likely.

To be honest AJE and jones but the rest I’d rather develop a young guy. They have potential for the availability of the others it’s not hard to find a rookie or a guy under 26/27 years old player to fill that role. 

Lawson might be the only one who will be worth the 1.2 million he’s only 29 and does well in our system. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills! said:

To be honest AJE and jones but the rest I’d rather develop a young guy. They have potential for the availability of the others it’s not hard to find a rookie or a guy under 26/27 years old player to fill that role. 

Lawson might be the only one who will be worth the 1.2 million he’s only 29 and does well in our system. 

This

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jahnyc said:

I would have thought that the Bills would try to re-sign Jones, but another poster stated that there has been no reach out by the Bills.

HappyDays said that.  Very surprised to hear. I expected him to be re-signed.

1.) we’ll sign some fillers and draft a couple

2.) we go after a big fish on the market

I think it just will be some fillers and a couple drafted.  We will need a new starting DE and DT (and a bunch of reserves since we are losing at least six defensive linemen due to expiring contracts).  Miller will share in the snaps with the starting DE opposite Rousseau.

Weird that almost all of our d-line from last season will be gone for this season.

9 hours ago, Special K said:

Floyd will not be back for less money.....he has no loyalty to the Bills as he only played here for one year.

Epenesa and Jones will be interesting to watch because I am sure the Bills would want these two back on team friendly deals, but they could probably command more money elsewhere....we will see what is most important to them.

I would put Settle, Phillips and Lawson in a category marked "back only if the Bills want them back"....I think Phillips and Lawson are good depth players who are "Buffalo guys" and would want to be back.....they also bring much needed attitude and energy to the defense.

What do you think??

I don't think Jones or Epenesa will be taking team freindly deals imo. he was 7M last season and I doubt he would want less than that.

38 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, nobody then?

IMO the OP has a pretty decent guess. Seems likely we can't pay Epenesa or Floyd. We'll be working hard to bring Jones back and IMO we've got a decent chance there, for more than $3M a year. One or two of the others also seems fairly likely.

My post is not about who’s likely to re-sign with us, but is about what I’d like for us to pay. 

“So nobody then? We gonna put a hotdog vendor at DT”? that’s what Free Agency and the Draft is for. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, nobody then?

Why should the Bills be looking to bring back ANY of 2023's DTs or DEs who aren't already under contract? In a different salary cap world I could see a kind of NHL "bridge" deal offer for Epenesa (who isn't at all terrible) and a mid-market 2 year offer for a 33-year old Jones (who is kind of awesome when healthy, but is likely a combo of too old and expensive to fit our current constraints), but the current reality precludes expensive depth/rotational players, and all the other aforementioned linemen are vested vets who can be replaced by younger, cheaper JAGs.  

At DT I liked Settle when he was signed, and I liked Ford when he was signed. Neither really did squadoosh, unfortunately. Surely there are now MANY other such under-the-radar FA targets who are younger and cheaper. And moreover, the Bills need to draft at least one interior guy, if not two. Cheap talent to develop is a must when battling cap demons.

At DE the Bills really only need one or two more guys total. Can you really replace Jonathan with someone cheaper and better via FA? The 4th guy should be a young draftee imho. 

14 hours ago, Special K said:

What do you think??

If they don't come back there's plenty of similar players that will sign 1 yr deals I wouldn't worry about it much. Most these players are average at best or even below average. 

I'm hoping the Bills can make 1 big splash on the Dline one 20mil type player maybe Danielle Hunter at DE or Christian Wilkens at DT . Spotrac has Hunter getting a 3yr 60mil deal I think he's worth that it just depends how the Bills structure it kick money down the road like Vons deal. Von counted only 5.8 mil on the cap his first yr with us. I'm hoping we see a similar deal this yr for Hunter guys like him never shake loose. 

We also have to really consider that we have used 3 high picks on this position in the draft and have basically blown all 3 picks as far as hoping 1 of those 3 turned out to be a franchise DE of the future. Those are horrible results I say use 2 high picks at Wr and use the money to get a Superstar DE. That was were circumventing the cap for future yrs saving money at Wr position while spending on Dline. If Von can return to at least a 10sk a yr form our pass rush could be lethal with Hunter, Rouse, Oliver and Von in passing situations. 

14 hours ago, Trust The Process said:

Hard NO to Settle who's just another guy I can replace with someone else cheaper. 

Hard NO to Phillips, gimp, can't trust his availability. 

Hard NO to Lawson who's just another guy. I'd rather draft his replacement on Day 3 of the Draft.

I'd bring back Floyd but only for less than market value which isn't going to happen anyways. 

Jones for no more than $3M per year for 1-2 years

Epenesa for no more than $5M per year

I agree 💯 . I like Jones the most out this group but he hasn't been healthy when we needed him most these last 2yrs that's a sign of things to come. Plus free agency has some nice young talent at the position that won't command much money players like Tair Tart & Raekwon Davis. Let's get young here unless Jones excepts a deal like u said 3 mil per. Teams should never give big money to run stuffers.