Ryan Bates traded

IBTG81

Two things at work… one someone in the Bills draft room really wants a guy who might not be there at 28 and they have the ammo to go get them and I believe that player is Adoni Mitchell. 

Second this is a very very deep oline class so if they want to add a couple guys in the middle rounds it’s very easy to do with 11 draft picks. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Two things at work… one someone in the Bills draft room really wants a guy who might not be there at 28 and they have the ammo to go get them and I believe that player is Adoni Mitchell. 

Second this is a very very deep oline class so if they want to add a couple guys in the middle rounds it’s merry easy to do with 11 draft picks. 

I’ll guess Xavier Legette based on Special Teams background, work ethic and physical freak traits

or Brian Thomas Jr if we’re willing to trade up enough

Edited by Warriorspikes51

really strange. We now need to draft a center.  Morse stayed healthy last year but we need a backup, and also Morse is likely a year or two likely away from retirement (or unfortunately a bad hit away). 

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Second this is a very very deep oline class so if they want to add a couple guys in the middle rounds it’s very easy to do with 11 draft picks. 

what makes you think Mitchell?  Just curious.  

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’ll guess Xavier Legette based on Special Teams background, work ethic and physical freak traits

would love Thomas Jr.  Don’t know enough about Mitchell. Leggett seems risky to me?

6 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

What exactly did you hear him say to make you think this?!  Because he said what he “brought” to the defense, instead of what he “brings”?  I’ve seen people running with that person’s interpretation, which is quite a stretch imo.

And "I enjoyed getting to know him last season". Everything was past tense. He shifted to "we're looking into a lot of different things" rather than discussing Douglas specifically like asked. His tone when discussing that there was nothing there to discuss and no current plans. Everything looked and felt very different than how he usually talks about players he has plans for.

Combined with his talking up of Tre White and his return. The idea that we were going to extend Douglas on a Starting CB's contract (which it would have to be bc his agent surely knows he can get one elsewhere in a year), keep Tre and continue paying him a large number, and have Christian Benford at the same time never made sense to me.

Why would we pay a lot to keep 3 starting CB's, when we have to find money, have a bunch of starting holes elsewhere, and you can easily get out from either Douglas or White? I always assumed White was the odd man out. But I agreed with @GunnerBill upon re-watching it myself that it was a telling exchange.

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

People immediately think first rounder, for obvious reasons. But could just as easily move us up in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. 

Or that they actually want more picks and will just use this pick in the 5th.

• Agree 1

Do they start to look for a replacement backup center now that he’s gone? My thoughts were they should even with Bates on the roster. Probably a bit more inclined now. 

I like Morse but given the concussion history and age I wonder how many more years of holding that job down efficiently he has left… 

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Ahh the ole McDermott philosophy of someone being too valuable to let play, gotta love it.   I don’t like seeing him go, but if doofus won’t play him, you can’t pay him.

?

Who is Bates supposed to be playing over? He's just a good backup. I would have liked him as a baseline replacement for Morse but you don't turn down a 5th round pick for that caliber of player.

I don’t hate the move IF they know they can bring Edwards back on the cheap to keep the guard depth good. I think they love Alec Anderson from all reports so I think they see Anderson as the backup center. Or they may draft a center in the mid round and let him cook and develop for a year behind Mitch?

But if they can at least bring Edwards back that alleviates the depth lost with the trade.

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

really strange. We now need to draft a center.  Morse stayed healthy last year but we need a backup, and also Morse is likely a year or two likely away from retirement (or unfortunately a bad hit away). 

Everyone is forgetting Anderson’s tape in preseason last year was so good the Bills had to carry him on the roster the entire year since there was no chance he’d clear waivers and Beane knew it. He never got in because everyone stayed freakishly healthy, but he was mauling 1T’s and turning them out of holes. If he shows out in preseason again he’s the C of the future, period.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

If Joe Buscaglia’s post is correct, it seems like we just wanted the pick… because that’s not exactly a cap space maneuver for a guy we all thought they viewed highly as a versatile depth piece. 

Yeah it is certainly just about the pick. I would bet Ryan Poles has been chasing down this trade ever since he stupidly wrote Bates' contract for us in the 2022 offseason. Finally he just made an offer Beane couldn't turn down.

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

From the sounds of it from Ian Rappaport, Thomas and Worthy will be WR4 and WR5. My guess is neither reach 28. I think we'll be safe to sit close to 28 or move up 2-3 slots give or take to land Legette or Mitchell.

After Higgins, Pittman, and Evans were retained and WR's leapt off the screen during The Combine - I suspect we're probably looking closer to WR6 or WR7 in the area we're in than WR4 or WR5, as I expected before.

Thomas will probably cost too much, unless Worthy really does hop him, as Rappaport implied could be a reality after talking to execs. Maybe then Thomas as WR5 would be worth a bigger package than I expect Beane to offer.

But my gut and bets are with that it will be either Xavier Legette or Adonai Mitchell, with a smaller trade up if WR6 comes off the board prior to Pick 27.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah it is certainly just about the pick. I would bet Ryan Poles has been chasing down this trade ever since he stupidly wrote Bates' contract for us in the 2022 offseason. Finally he just made an offer Beane couldn't turn down.

Doesn’t it clear 5.4 mil from next year’s cap? 

20 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Jackson Powers Johnson, here we come.

I don't see him lasting to pick 28 if your worried about the Bills taking him. I think he goes late teens or early 20's

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And "I enjoyed getting to know him last season". Everything was past tense. He shifted to "we're looking into a lot of different things" rather than discussing Douglas specifically like asked. His tone when discussing that there was nothing there to discuss and no current plans. Everything looked and felt very different than how he usually talks about players he has plans for.

Combined with his talking up of Tre White and his return. The idea that we were going to extend Douglas on a Starting CB's contract (which it would have to be bc his agent surely knows he can get one elsewhere in a year), keep Tre and continue paying him a large number, and have Christian Benford at the same time never made sense to me.

Why would we pay a lot to keep 3 starting CB's, when we have to find money, have a bunch of starting holes elsewhere, and you can easily get out from either Douglas or White? I always assumed White was the odd man out. But I agreed with @GunnerBill upon re-watching it myself that it was a telling exchange.

Ah yes, the “I enjoyed getting to know him!”😂. Is he supposed to say he’s still enjoying his company and looking forward to getting to know him better?!  Ridiculous take, imho.  

It’s not like BBB to give up a 3rd for a rental.  And who says he needs to be extended?  He’s under contract.

Also, this tidbit from someone who is actually closer to their thinking: “Currently, the only thing guaranteed is Douglas on the team for 2024.”  Take a read of Buscaglia’s measured and reasoned CB review.  This seems more likely: “The Bills would be best served to let the year play out and see how Douglas performs, Benford’s progress and how well White bounces back from injury before issuing any guaranteed new money to the cornerback position.”