The NFL can be cold sometimes

28 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

More and more Americans are waking up to the fact you mean absolutely nothing to an employer. Do your job, go home and forget about them.

Okay? In over three decades as a business owner I never once told an employee that they couldn’t use a single day of accrued vacation, sick, or emergency time. Not once. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Business in general is cold man. I left my old company in June last year and then found out like a week ago they fired every remote employee (which I was) the week of Thanksgiving last year. My old boss called me to tell me I got out at the exact right time 

I was on disability and was contacted by HR giving me two weeks notice for work for Verizon Business was being moved to India (significant portion of work was unclassified but for department of DOD).  I told them that when you are on disability it is against rules of disability and law to do any work while you are on disability (they had before tried to get people to work reviewing documents and answering questions while on disability).  They needed to wait another week to give me notice when I returned from disability. I got to office and most of people were gone even though they were supposed to work last two weeks; maybe they used vacation or sick time i don't sign contracts).

Had one big issue on final Friday and I told customer that I would need to have someone handle this issue next week since I have put my hours in and today  was last day. Customer insisted it needed to be handled today so I said I'd send email to manager but she rarely read emails Friday evenings.

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Okay? In over three decades as a business owner I never once told an employee that they couldn’t use a single day of accrued vacation, sick, or emergency time. Not once. 

Then you are an exceptional rarity.  And thank you for being the type of owner you are to your employees. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

48 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My wife regularly cannot use her vacation time for there is no one to replace her because school system decided to not fund substitutes allowing superintendent to meet his fiscal goal and receive his bonuses.  She has been taking it this year an hour now at my insistance to two a week at end of day when she got her work done and her assistant can close the kitchen.  

For me I had reserved two weeks in Hawaii at Christmas time and paid for hotel / airfare AFTER I sent notice that I was taking vacation and received approval in writing by my supervisor.  At end of year was told that primary customer was holding exercise and the customer said I needed to be there. I was told that it was important for team spirit that I go,  It was implied it would negatively reflect on my annual review if I didn't.

I asked if they would refund my airfare if my wife was willing to go without me.  No.  I asked if I could get exception and be able to carry my time off to next year since I was at cap.  I was told no.  I told them I am planning on going on vacation and they would need to find a replacement.

Thank you for being a good employer.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have owned a business for almost 3 decades also.  I have never disrespected an employee of mine.  Always treated everyone right.  If you are smart, work hard and get along with your co workers reasonably well, you should always do well in most companies.  If you are lazy, an #######, and/or are stupid, you won't do well at in too many industries.  And will probably be fired pretty quickly.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

27 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Fatukasi was a big up and coming type when he signed with the Jags prior to 2022 but didn't live up to the expectations. He's only 295 so probably only a 3 Tech.

295?!  That's two Wendy's Grand Slams with bacon, and a family size fries.

Didn't this happen to another player last year?  Same scenario, team sends out a Happy Birthday tweet, hours later team sends out tweet that player was cut/released.  

EDITs, these were all in 2023

EDIT: Found it, Packers with Jonathan Garvin

EDIT 2: Browns did it also, to Michael Dunn

EDIT 3: Jets and Chris Glaser

Edited by Just Jack

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Business in general is cold man. I left my old company in June last year and then found out like a week ago they fired every remote employee (which I was) the week of Thanksgiving last year. My old boss called me to tell me I got out at the exact right time 

About 6 years ago I was working as a field tech for a national service company.   Paychecks and expenses were starting to come late, like hours or a day or two from the norm.  I looked at a former company I had worked for and they happened to be hiring, so I emailed the owner asking if they wanted me back.  He said yes.  Put in my two weeks notice.  On my last day I started reaching out to the company I had been with about meeting up with someone to return some equipment and tools I had.  No answer.  Next week, still trying to get someone, no replies.  About two weeks later I heard they shut the doors and everyone was let go.  I was one of the lucky ones, I was only out about $1700 in expenses that were not paid back.  Others who stayed were out about a months worth of pay plus expenses.  But hey, I ended up with a nice hammer drill, an 8" tablet, and some other odds and ends.  

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Going to assume you are a small business owner? As am I. 

Pretty sure 95%+ of these comments are geared towards big corporations. I was a manager at one and its just how people describe, though I am not in my business. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Going to assume you are a small business owner? As am I. 

Pretty sure 95%+ of these comments are geared towards big corporations. I was a manager at one and its just how people describe, though I am not in my business. 

In the last 20 years, I have worked at two small companies.

The first small company paid slightly above average and had normal benefits. The "CEO" who was very good friends with the owner repeatedly told people that they would not just be let go and he'd "have a sale" before letting anyone go. He married the woman in marketing. He, his wife, the COO and the head of the support department were a little clique and routinely abused their positions. I ended up leaving for the 2nd company.. they wanted an exit interview and grilled the hell out of me why I was leaving. Didn't think anything of it until the next month when they let 90% of the company go and realized they must have thought I knew something.

My current small company is amazing. No PTO limit, high salary, low stress work environment, ability to be completely remote (I go camping for weeks at a time and still work), owner is hands off.

Long story short, small companies can be and often are just as bad. Although, I think it's more like to find an awesome small company than an awesome big one.

On the topic at hand.. the PR department doesn't know the guy is getting cut.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'll just assume automatically he'd be an upgrade from Tim Settle / Jordan Phillips

Happy Birthday from the Bills! 

And he wouldn't count in the draft pick  compensation formula since he was cut. I'd be willing to bring him in. 

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah but he never played for the Panthers...

yeah but jaguar and panthers...are like related in the cat kingdom

14 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Panther/Jaguar...a cat is a cat

same thoughts

• Like (+1) 1