90 Bills, 4 Falls of Buffalo

JerseyBills

These were my last 2 college years and my fist years on my own - wide right was my Junior year.

I remember a bunch of us going to a student's house in Cooperstown, NY to watch the first Super Bowl - probably about a 2 hour drive. I remember after that ball went right we made the drive back and I was completely silent - I'm not kidding when I say that I don't think I spoke at all for at least a day - almost felt like Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off when he went catatonic. 

Washington loss was my senior year and I remember one of the girls in the apartment across the hall was from DC and was a casual Skins fa. I remember thinking how unfair it was that this casual fan got to know the joy of a Super Bowl victory when I, a die-hard Bills fans, lost again - seemed grossly unfair.

By the time of the two Dallas losses I had just learned that the Bills were eternally cursed - a Charlie Brown organization is there ever was one. The Smoking Man on the Xfiles was real and there was a deep conspiracy to make sure the Bills never won...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I watched it when it first came out, then rewatched it last week because it kept coming up as the top suggestion on Netflix and its been a few year now.

As far as the age topic and the perception from that, I was in kindergarten for the first superbowl appearance. Experiencing those four years as an elementary school kid, it made me feel that it was just a normal thing for the Bills to be in the superbowl, let alone the playoffs. Fast forward a few years when I understood the sport a bit better then understand what the achievement those years really meant. Then just to be hit with the drought soon after was a real punch to the face.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hasn’t this doco been around for like 10 years? Have they put out a new version recently given there have been a couple  threads about.? 

I lived it too in real time …

Still can’t believe they lost that first game … they were outclassed the other three times..so they don’t hurt me as badly ..

I remember the Redskins game … I was backpacking around Europe and  found myself in Seville Spain on the day( night)  … I spent money I didn’t have to check into a fancy hotel that had satellite TV to watch the game ( it wasn’t on Spain free to air TV at the time)

What a waste… think I was asleep by halftime ..

It just recently hit Netflix and has reached a new wave of fans who must have missed it the first time around because I have been seeing people posting about it all over the internet like it is new lol.  But yes originally came out in 2015

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rusty shackleford said:

I watched it when it first came out, then rewatched it last week because it kept coming up as the top suggestion on Netflix and its been a few year now.

As far as the age topic and the perception from that, I was in kindergarten for the first superbowl appearance. Experiencing those four years as an elementary school kid, it made me feel that it was just a normal thing for the Bills to be in the superbowl, let alone the playoffs. Fast forward a few years when I understood the sport a bit better then understand what the achievement those years really meant. Then just to be hit with the drought soon after was a real punch to the face.

Same experience for me.  Was so cruel to start growing up during the Super Bowl runs and then live through the drought once it was time to start coming of age and be able to appreciate it more.  Sometimes it would feel like the Super Bowl years were just something I dreamed of as a kid.  

Thurman Thomas gained a 1st down at the Buffalo 40-yard line with 1:36 left. They ran four plays in the next 1:28. Just madness. All to settle for a 47-yard field goal by Norwood, who had never made that long of a field goal on grass, and who was 0-for-6 that same year on FGs of 50 plus. 

The NFL as a whole in 1990:

50+ yard field goals: 28/78 (35.8%)

40-49 yard field goals: 146/235 (62.1%)

A 47-yard field goal was probably about a 40% chance at most. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Also, this O would be perfect for the k gun. Not 100% of the time but maybe 4 5 drives a game. Just a thought, with our personnel 

So the K2-Gun will be named after Kincaid  - you knew the K-Gun was named after Bills TE not Kelly, right?

11 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Would anyone else be low key interested in a Hard Knocks style, BTS documentary on the drought? 

Any behind the scenes stories/video would be absolutely fascinating. 

I thought this series in 2017 was interesting.

you might like it

This period of time was during my early teenage years.....but I remember it like it was yesterday like many of you. It was a very impressive run for them to pick themselves off the mat, and come back 4 consecutive years. That's the heart of a true Bills fan though as well....Keep coming back year after year. Go Bills!

Edited by Let's Go Buffalo

14 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

I was 16 during "wide right" and cried a little. I felt like something went wrong with the universe. There was no scenario going into that game that I thought we could lose. 

The rally for Scott was special, but after a couple of years it just got so negative. Like the whole world hated us. It was a rougher ride in retrospect than it probably should have been. It wasn't until much later people really started to appreciate what we had accomplished. It was the drought and "Bills Mafia" that made the Bills lovable again. 

The last one I really thought we were going to win. Having the lead going into the half, after that fumble it felt inevitable that we would lose. I wouldn't trade any of it now. It was honestly the wildest sports ride of my life. 

I too was 16 at wide right. My parents made me go to church during Super Bowl 25😂. I got home in time to see wide right. I got angry during Super Bowl 26- felt we had a better team than the one that showed up, was in bewilderment during Super Bowl 27, and cried at the end of Super Bowl 28 when family started giving me hugs instead of trash talking me. They felt sorry for me by the 4th. Worst part was living in Dallas during all of those. Yet, I wouldn’t trade any of it. It was the best of times and the worst of times. Always felt we should have gone to Super Bowl in 1988 and 1989 too. I also thought we were going in 1999 with Flutie. Hope we get to see one more (with a win this time). Definitely built a resiliency that I’ve carried through life.

I was in 2nd grade for wide right and that was really the start of me being a fan. The Washington SB being a vivid memory ending in tears. As much as I used to get upset and cry as a youngster at those losses those teams taught me so much. Alway getting up. Never giving up. Perseverance. Ignoring negativity. Loyalty. Those teams were almost like having another parent with you teaching you life lessons. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was 16 and in a room full of Giant’s fans. I was never a huge fan of Jim Kelly. I didn’t trust him at all in any game. I wasn’t one of the “bench Kelly for Reich” guys but I wouldn’t have been too upset if it happened. Sometimes he would come out and throw 3 interceptions right away in the 1st quarter. When he was bad, he was really bad.

The AFC was incredibly bad back then so it was no surprise that most of them were so lopsided. I think they lost about a dozen SB’s in a row during that period. It pissed me off that Denver was the team to finally win one.

I thought we had a chance against the Redskins but nope. The Redskins really had an incredible season that year. Maybe the most dominant I’ve ever seen.

Edited by Governor

15 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Ugh reviewing that game it's amazing how little time we spent on offense, drives all over the place of two-three minutes, it's no wonder the defense got gassed in the 3rd quarter. 

The worst to me was the third one, as felt like the greatest comeback was a sign that we were meant to take it that year only to get crushed by Dallas. 

Ya, I mean the 4 years as a whole is so surreal, wide right, the DL coach crazy behavior, greatest comeback ever,with fans rushing back, the whole anti Bills narrative, Thurman forgetting his helmet etc etc

those 4 years seemed like 10 years with all the ups and downs but that team might be the most talented core in nfl history over a 5 year span. 

It's painful to watch, can't imagine living it, even though I technically did, I was just a baby

When we get a ring, the guys from those teams should too or at minimum,  be honored at parade 

Edited by JerseyBills

I watched it last week actually for the first time.  My 10 year old kid did too which was awesome.

I thought it was pretty great.  It framed the entire thing in a very positive light.  It was pretty thorough for the length of the episode.  

It's crazy to look back on.  I was 12 for wide right.  It was a great ride

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya, I mean the 4 years as a whole is so surreal, wide right, the DL coach crazy behavior, greatest comeback ever,with fans rushing back, the whole anti Bills narrative, Thurman forgetting his helmet etc etc

those 4 years seemed like 10 years with all the ups and downs but that team might be the most talented core in nfl history over a 5 year span. 

It's painful to watch, can't imagine living it, even though I technically did, I was just a baby

When we get a ring, the guys from those teams should too or at minimum,  be honored at parade 

I was a teenager at the time (I turned 13 in 1990) so it was quite a ride for a fan to say the least. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1