Breaking: Salary cap set at $255M

HappyDays

This really is great news for us.  Not in a way that we will just go out and spend it, but it may let us not have to restructure a contract or 2 that we really don't want to restructure.  Maybe they front office was thinking of reworking Diggs' contract again.  Now they maybe don't have to do that. 

So, yeah.....I don't think this is money that is going to help get us a new player (it could, but I am not expecting that), but it could help prevent another bad contract on the books in a couple years which is pretty valuable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Break out the Amex baby

Hookers & Blow baby!

• Haha (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Cap has gone up $31m this year and probably will to go up more next year …

Von and potential Diggs issues just got a little easier to deal with after this season…

It is why kicking the can is never the disaster people think. Because the cap keeps rising by significant amounts. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Does this mean we're getting a dome?

Yup, sure does, 😁👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It is why kicking the can is never the disaster people think. Because the cap keeps rising by significant amounts. 

I agree but also this is a rare situation considering all of the covid money during the shutdown years and now next year they are getting the new tv contract so the numbers were going to increase significantly more compared to years past, JMO.

Just now, The Wiz said:

I agree but also this is a rare situation considering all of the covid money during the shutdown years and now next year they are getting the new tv contract so the numbers were going to increase significantly more compared to years past, JMO.

It is but it is going to be going up $20m per for the forseable even after the tv deal has settled in. 

I was so thrilled with this news.

Previously it was my understanding that we were 42 million over the cap for next year, and that as of today there was extra money associated with the cap.

Crazy, stupid me thought we went from being 42 million over to 29 million.

Then low and behold everywhere I check says, with the above "extra" cap space, we are now...slightly under 42 million over?!!!!

Yes, it is better we have it than not have it, but what the holy hell?!

So this organization, in earnest plain description, this non-Super Bowl appearing team, non-championship game appearing team was due to be $55 million over the cap headed in to next year?!

...and this is just honkey-dorey and jiggle here, jiggle jiggle there, everywhere and we should be cool-cool-cool for 2024?

Somebody please tell me, because I honestly don't know, the last NFL team that was due to be $40 million over the cap, got under, and then proceeded to be one of the best teams in the League?

...OK...5 question marks might be a limit, right*

(* "?"...dang it!)

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It is but it is going to be going up $20m per for the forseable even after the tv deal has settled in. 

Oh I know.  But contracts are also going to increase so both the inflation of the cap and contracts will likely still be in line with one another.  Like I said, it was a rare situation where the cap was basically doing a "bounce back" from a bad economical standing so the teams that were willing to pay more and play the long game are now going to benefit more than the teams that played the "wait and see" game.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

If anything, you are going to see some truly absurd deals thrown around for marginal FA's like Gabe Davis and AJE

This would be good for Buffalo. If Davis, Floyd, AJE and even jones get over payed in FA it could net us a few extra 3rd to 5th round comp picks next year 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.