Matt Araiza signs with Chiefs

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You can't be convinced by the rules that are in place and the fact that it was outwardly stated that they would do nothing? There were two options - keep him on the roster or cut him. It was attested to in the presser. The league wasn't going to make a special exemption for him. Simple as that. I was hoping they would but it was made clear that they wouldn't. I don't know how you aren't "convinced" by fact.

As for the Practice Squad idea, that keeps him from being on the field. But that doesn't stop the media from hounding them and the league putting pressure on them for keeping him on the team.

You might think "F-ck the media, F-ck the league! F-ck PR!". That's great for you, you rebellious soul. But that's not the reality of how it works with multi billion dollar companies that have to answer to networks, advertisers, and the public.

The NFL would have had to do something. If the bills kept him on the field and active roster be damned I promise you that every hashtag warrior would have made the NFL take action. 

Don't bother patronizing me. I'm too full of myself for it to be anything of value. 

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

And many of us recall Beane alluding to details that he withheld from the team about that night, and was released after. 

If those details were accurate charges wouldn't have been made and more action taken. 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

weird right. Almost like it was a pretty easy move to make

Yeah, once no charges were warranted and the civil suit was dropped, it was only a matter of time.  I didn't however expect the Chiefs to sign him.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a downgrade in punting. There is no other way of seeing it. Townsend is the best punter in the league. Whether it makes financial sense is a different question. I understand what the Chiefs are thinking. They are thinking we can afford to get worse at punter rather than some other spots. I get that. But they are getting worse if they swap Townsend for Araiza. 

though they picked up a guy with the skill set to potentially be as good or better, if he does actually perform at projected potential 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, once no charges were warranted and the civil suit was dropped, it was only a matter of time.  I didn't however expect the Chiefs to sign him.

could’ve been just about anyone. The dude has about as much leg talent and potential as anyone- why not take a cheap swing at him to see if you can steal a few years cheap 

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've seen a couple different insiders report on this before and it always felt very plausible to me.  The Bills felt like his camp wasn't completely upfront and honest about what his situation was and felt like they were embarrassed in front of the Nation over this story.  I get being pissed he signed with KC but he was never coming back to Buffalo and I agree with the Bills front office on this one.

The Bills do a fine job of embarrassing themselves in front of the Nation on an annual basis as it is.  I don't think the punter situation would have made it worse than it already is

• Haha (+1) 1

People here were all too quick to throw him to the wolves without a shred of evidence.  And, once cleared of all wrongdoing, just left him there.  Should have signed him the day after we got eliminated.

You know he's gonna light it up, steal a game or two for them, and kill us at some point late in a game where they run it three times to kill the clock and then cannon a punt to bury us deep when we need a score and there's, like, thirty seconds left.

We deserve this.  This is karma.

Good for Matt.  He didn't deserve any of this, and once cleared didn't deserve to keep sitting and waiting.  I actually hate KC a little less for this.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

And the rich get richer… Unreal. Dude is gonna punt the crap out of the ball and make everyone look dumb for not signing him sooner. 

Perhaps?  The concerns about Araiza were 1) inexperience as the holder for FG and XP 2) lack of directional control and finess - he’s a “boomer” who can kick it really far, but not necessarily keep it away from a dangerous returner or down it on the 3 yd line instead of kicking through the EZ

He may have been working on these skills the last 2 years, so maybe it’s all good now.

8 hours ago, JMM said:

Seems a bit strange, first of all the timing,  but more importantly they already have a terrific punter in Townsend. So unless they are releasing him for salary issues this signing makes little sense 

Townsend is a free agent AFAIK.  

Townsend is UFA.  He's an excellent putner and he's gong to get paid.  I am very happy for him and happy for his time in KC.  

The Chiefs aren't opposed to paying good money for a good kicker.  Butker is one of the highest paid kickers in the NFL.  He's worth every last penny....dude is NAILS in the post season.  

There is no justification for paying a punter top of market when you are KC.  Either you believe Mahomes is going to make up for some of what you'd need a punter for, or your defense will.  Araiza is a great low key signing for KC.  When KC needs to punt....he will punt.  In some circumstances...he will punt very far....and relatively inexpensively.  

For this not to be an OVERALL (including financials) Araiza will have to be pretty bad.  I don't think so.  KC probably going to get alot of bang for the buck on this one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

Townsend is UFA.  He's an excellent putner and he's gong to get paid.  I am very happy for him and happy for his time in KC.  

The Chiefs aren't opposed to paying good money for a good kicker.  Butker is one of the highest paid kickers in the NFL.  He's worth every last penny....dude is NAILS in the post season.  

There is no justification for paying a punter top of market when you are KC.  Either you believe Mahomes is going to make up for some of what you'd need a punter for, or your defense will.  Araiza is a great low key signing for KC.  When KC needs to punt....he will punt.  In some circumstances...he will punt very far....and relatively inexpensively.  

For this not to be an OVERALL (including financials) Araiza will have to be pretty bad.  I don't think so.  KC probably going to get alot of bang for the buck on this one.

Who asked you?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

You know he's gonna light it up, steal a game or two for them, and kill us at some point late in a game where they run it three times to kill the clock and then cannon a punt to bury us deep when we need a score and there's, like, thirty seconds left.

Steal a game or two? Has there ever been a punter who did that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

His only punt for us was an 80 yarder in the preseason. Would’ve been fun watching him in Bills gear, I know many here already were trying out nicknames for him. Good luck in KC, Matt, unless you play Buffalo, then I hope you shank your one or two punts.

Edited by Brand J
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, boyst said:

Grow a pair of balls and respect the way the legal system works that we all appreciate for Von Miller, evidently.

The team is a giant hypocritical joke because they haven't done anything with Fraud Miller.

I have a question as I haven’t followed the case closely for a while. Was the pretext phone call also fake?

6 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

For all we know Ariza is an upgrade at a fraction of the cost.  Chiefs are up against the cap and have multiple big time free agents they want back, all of which are significantly more important than a punter.  Including financials, there’s “no other way of seeing it” this is an upgrade. 

Not at punter it isn't.

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

though they picked up a guy with the skill set to potentially be as good or better, if he does actually perform at projected potential 

could’ve been just about anyone. The dude has about as much leg talent and potential as anyone- why not take a cheap swing at him to see if you can steal a few years cheap 

I was never quite as high as the hype on him but I certainly understand the swing on his potential at a cheap price.

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

He gets it.  Also, FWIW there wasn't a team that touched Araiza until all the legal issues (including civil) were completely cleared for those that think the Bills should've stood by him.  The Jets gave him a tryout but decided to go with the infamous 37 year old butt punter in Thomas Morestead.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.