Greatest All-Star Band Ever?

ChevyVanMiller

There have been some amazing All-Star bands that have come together over the years. Be it for a single song, like “We are the World“ or “Do They Know it’s Christmas Time?“ or ones that got together and did entire albums like Blind Faith or the Traveling Wilburys.

If pressed, I probably would have told you that my favorite was the Dirty Mac that did the Beatles “Yer Blues“ for the Rolling Stones “Rock ‘n’ Roll Circus” movie.

But recently I came across these two videos that were done for both the American Bandstand 40th and 50th year anniversaries. They both feature a wild and eclectic mix of musicians that you would never imagine played on a song together. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. The music isn’t great, but I love that they got these diverse groups to agree to play together.

And feel free to post any super groups that you enjoy.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

There have been some amazing All-Star bands that have come together over the years. Be it for a single song, like “We are the World“ or “Do They Know it’s Christmas Time?“ or ones that got together and did entire albums like Blind Faith or the Traveling Wilburys.

If pressed, I probably would have told you that my favorite was the Dirty Mac that did the Beatles “Yer Blues“ for the Rolling Stones “Rock ‘n’ Roll Circus” movie.

But recently I came across these two videos that were done for both the American Bandstand 40th and 50th year anniversaries. They both feature a wild and eclectic mix of musicians that you would never imagine played on a song together. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. The music isn’t great, but I love that they got these diverse groups to agree to play together.

And feel free to post any super groups that you enjoy.

These were fun to break up the afternoon.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I just posted this on the "Share some music" thread...

And here some jam 1970 sessions of a true SF all-star line-up. Jerry Garcia (GD), Jack Casady, Jorma Kaukonen, Papa John Creach (all JA), David Freiberg (QMS/JA), John Cipollina, Nicky Hopkins (both QMS).

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, DrW said:

I just posted this on the "Share some music" thread...

And here some jam 1970 sessions of a true SF all-star line-up. Jerry Garcia (GD), Jack Casady, Jorma Kaukonen, Papa John Creach (all JA), David Freiberg (QMS/JA), John Cipollina, Nicky Hopkins (both QMS).

I was lucky to have seen all these guys play, some many times. (Never all together like this)

Garcia, Jorma and Jack many many times (hundreds for Garcia, over 20 for Jorma and Jack) 

Nicky Hopkins was a great and underrated musician and here are just some of the groups that he played with....

From Wiki: 'He performed on many popular and enduring British and American rock music recordings from the 1960s to the 1990s, most notably on songs recorded by the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, the Who, the Beatles, the Steve Miller Band, Jefferson Airplane, Rod Stewart, George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, The Hollies, Cat Stevens, Carly Simon, Harry Nilsson, Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Jerry Garcia, Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker, Art Garfunkel, Badfinger, Graham Parker, Gary Moore, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Donovan.

He is widely considered to be one of the greatest studio pianists in the history of popular rock music.'

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 2