Gabe Davis: Puts out an Instagram Video…good watch and could be sign he’s leaving

Alphadawg7

It's kind of mind blowing seeing people make the case for Gabe. He's simply not good enough, all his film and stats and play back this assessment. It's almost as if people have forgot about his limited route tree, his league leading drops, his disappearing acts, all while playing with the leagues best QB while he's putting up astronomical stats. That alone, being unable to get on the same page as Josh says everything. Why would people want to hold Josh back with a guy that just can't seem to get in sync with him? The more I think about it, I just can't seem to come up with any viable argument to pay Gabe to stay on this roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, babulator said:

It's kind of mind blowing seeing people make the case for Gabe. He's simply not good enough, all his film and stats and play back this assessment. It's almost as if people have forgot about his limited route tree, his league leading drops, his disappearing acts, all while playing with the leagues best QB while he's putting up astronomical stats. That alone, being unable to get on the same page as Josh says everything. Why would people want to hold Josh back with a guy that just can't seem to get in sync with him? The more I think about it, I just can't seem to come up with any viable argument to pay Gabe to stay on this roster.

Davis also has a very low catch rate, about 55%, and has never had a 50 catch season.  He simply isn't a WR2 and he has outpriced himself in Buffalo.  It only takes one team to think he's a WR2 and he'll be gone.  Good for him and good for Beane for not compounding the salary cap situation.

• Agree 1

To me all Davis’ stats are Josh Allen stats. But we’ll see what happens. I wish him the best.

I will also say this. He’s actually a decent boundary WR. Target rate he’s not a bad 3rd option, which is what he’s been in Buffalo. He had one year as the clear 2nd option in 2022 and it was a disappointing season. Still had decent stats but again, I think they’re Josh Allen stats.

I wish him the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:31 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

For whatever reason(s) him and Josh have gone backwards with chemistry.  The connection is gone. Minnesota OT game, Jets game late, Eagles OT game, etc. There’s always a miscommunication between them.

Makes one wonder whether our not it's the same "for whatever reasons" why Diggs' yardage production was halved and his TD production was decimated.  

On a side note, Davis was the most productive playoff WR we had.  Granted, that's a lie bar, nonetheless.  

2 hours ago, babulator said:

It's the same every year or close to it. Bills fans have this innate thing where they get attached to players, esp. mediocre ones. (and I am betting someone is going to reply to this post with stats or something trying to validate that Gabe isn't mediocre).   Gabe posting those stats means he knows, and more importantly, so does his agent, that he isn't a #1 and not even a damn good #2. If you are that good, you don't have to post that, you just say "look at the film".  The film on Davis shows great inconsistency and a limited route tree. BUT...someone will pay him big bucks and I don't blame him for taking the money at all. 

But we MUST find a #2 who can take over as #1 at some point who has a damn good route tree, and can be reliable consistently. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's the same every year or close to it. Bills fans have this innate thing where they get attached to players, esp. mediocre ones. (and I am betting someone is going to reply to this post with stats or something trying to validate that Gabe isn't mediocre).   Gabe posting those stats means he knows, and more importantly, so does his agent, that he isn't a #1 and not even a damn good #2. If you are that good, you don't have to post that, you just say "look at the film".  The film on Davis shows great inconsistency and a limited route tree. BUT...someone will pay him big bucks and I don't blame him for taking the money at all. 

But we MUST find a #2 who can take over as #1 at some point who has a damn good route tree, and can be reliable consistently. 

One thing that’s interesting about his route tree is Diggs and Beasley will tell you that he can run a full route tree but the offense only has him running certain routes most of the time.

A lot could be Allen likes to throw certain routes and with his arm they get arrogant and think they can throw them all the time. 

We’re going to find out a lot about Gabe when he goes to his next team. 

We never had to use Davis as WR1 in Buffalo. Diggs was always healthy. I wonder what would’ve happened if Davis was forced to be a WR1 for Josh. We’ll never know.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Gabe had some flashes of ability, but he wasn’t on the same page as Allen at a way higher rate than any of our other pass catchers.

The most recent example I can think of was our last game against the Dolphins where there was a cover zero blitz in the red zone. Allen threw to a spot he thought Gabe would be and Gabe cut in making it an easy pick for the CB.

Like a lot of these, it’s hard to know if it’s on Allen or Davis, but why does it happen so much with them?

IMHO It was reported somewhere that his agent reached out mid season for talks and the Bills weren't interested.

Was he asking too much? Did they feel they needed to upgrade and move on?  Maybe both?  But if Beane really wanted him back I feel discussions would have started in mid season in some capacity.   And feom Gabes post it seems his agent has been told the Bills aren't an option.

11 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yes, as a depth player.

But you know someone is going to greatly over pay him.  My guess is Washington.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I think the discourse on Gabe makes sense.  I definitely do NOT want to sign him to a WR2 contract, because I do not believe he is that.. but, I get why people are sentimental on him.  

He's a homegrown player.  Drafted by the Bills and played all 4 years as a pretty notable player on the team.   And while the generations prior have the 4 Super Bowl losses, this era has 13 seconds.. and while that's a memory a lot of us would like to forget, no Bills fan will forget Gabe Davis in that game paired with Josh Allen on the sideline firing up the team.  It was an iconic performance, even if it didn't go our way.  

Gabe is a cultural fit in WNY/Buffalo Bills.  Low maintenance, likes to fish and hunt.. has a great personality.  

He's a guy we all wish would be here long term, unfortunately he's not a WR2 and will likely get WR2 offers that we can't match.  But I get why he is probably more of a gut punch than Tremaine Edmunds even. And we saw how that worked out...

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think the discourse on Gabe makes sense.  I definitely do NOT want to sign him to a WR2 contract, because I do not believe he is that.. but, I get why people are sentimental on him.  

He's a homegrown player.  Drafted by the Bills and played all 4 years as a pretty notable player on the team.   And while the generations prior have the 4 Super Bowl losses, this era has 13 seconds.. and while that's a memory a lot of us would like to forget, no Bills fan will forget Gabe Davis in that game paired with Josh Allen on the sideline firing up the team.  It was an iconic performance, even if it didn't go our way.  

Gabe is a cultural fit in WNY/Buffalo Bills.  Low maintenance, likes to fish and hunt.. has a great personality.  

He's a guy we all wish would be here long term, unfortunately he's not a WR2 and will likely get WR2 offers that we can't match.  But I get why he is probably more of a gut punch than Tremaine Edmunds even. And we saw how that worked out...

Agreed.  He just isn't the answer at #2 and not a #1 IMHO.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Exactly. Ja’Maar Chase doesn’t have to post that video. Justin Jefferson doesn’t. Stef Diggs doesn’t.

Obviously this is a case of “thou Gabe doth protest too much.” He wouldn’t have to post all these stats if he truly were a high level receiver. It’s kinda like all these Dolphin fans I see on Twitter everyday posting comparisons of Tua and other QBs showing how “elite” Tua is. If he was truly elite, they wouldn’t have to be posting this stuff all the time.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes.  Because when he plays well he looks like one of the 5 best WRs in the league.  In the big games he’s had it looks like he should be unstoppable especially as a number 2.  

I love his attitude, work ethic, and personality.   

The 13 second game is legendary.  The toe tap game vs the Colts.  

He has been one of the constants in the division championship run and hoping we’ll just easily move on with another WR yea I guess I’m very optimistic but it’s no slam dunk and his presence could really be missed.  He was a captain for a reason.   

The toe tap game against the Colts-that was the AFC Wild Card game in 2020 right?  Our first playoff win since 1995.  Those were some real nice catches by Gabe in that game.  And the drive that Josh led before halftime in that game starting at our own 2 or 3 yard line is legendary.

I just wish Gabe was more dominant on a consistent basis.  And had a little more twitchy explosiveness to his game.  But he was a solid player.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, muppy said:

HA. So the innuendo gets dropped at the end of your post so slightly dissing the Bills.  I see you hombre . We will just see about this next season. I wish it were my team celebrating a super bowl win. So I get it but the shade was there and Im not having it go unnoticed at MY bills board. 🙂

There's no legit veteran FA out there that is going to choose Buffalo over KC if they are looking to win a championship and take less money especially in an offseason where they are gearing up to make history and will be the prohibitive favorite to win a 3rd straight championship. And I think that applies to the Bengals as well because they are the only team in the AFC that can claim a playoff victory over the Chiefs with a healthy Joe Burrow, and the only team that has a chance to stop the Chiefs next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

There's no legit veteran FA out there that is going to choose Buffalo over KC if they are looking to win a championship and take less money especially in an offseason where they are gearing up to make history and will be the prohibitive favorite to win a 3rd straight championship. And I think that applies to the Bengals as well because they are the only team in the AFC that can claim a playoff victory over the Chiefs with a healthy Joe Burrow, and the only team that has a chance to stop the Chiefs next season.

Gotta nail the draft this year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:24 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I saw this on Gabe’s Instagram tonight, but then found someone who posted to Twitter too, so posting both links in case it’s easier for someone to watch one over the other.  

Kind of looks like he is putting this out to both highlight his time here and promote his accomplishments ahead of Free Agency.  Smart move.

Even though I’ve been in the camp to let him go and draft a WR this year, this was still a fun watch and he has brought some big moments and games to his time in Buffalo.  He makes a good case for himself at the end with the stats and rankings combined with the low targets compared to others.  

Overall this is a great piece for himself ahead of free agency and so enjoyed it and I wish him well.  

Link to video on Gabe’s actual account:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3jSE3WMeRO/?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ==

Someone reposting it on Twitter:

13 seconds was the best game I’ve ever seen from an NFL WR. Davis was running wild allover that KC defense. I feel like his legacy would’ve been a lot different if the Bills had won bc I firmly believe they would’ve got a ring that year. I’m kind of torn on wanting him back because of the potential he showed in the past. Ultimately, he’s just too inconsistent, but I’d hate for him to go somewhere like KC or the Chargers and put it all together. 

9 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Von did 

Gabe is & always has been the Bills type of player the under dog if you would I think that is why he is so loved as a Bills player . I hate that he wasn't more consistent we all know he works his tail off to try to be the best he can be & i'm not sure why his production tailed off but i will route for him when ever he isn't playing the Bills .

I wouldn't mind him staying but in the NFL it's all about the money loyalty to 1 team Died when Kyle Williams left the team the only loyalty it to the all mighty dollar & in some cases i guess we can't blame them, we all want to be comfortable when it is our time to retire just some have a lazy boy & others have a Big Lots recliner .

Thanks for the memories Gabe it was fun watching you in those game where you got the name Big Game Gabe !! Go Bills !! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.