Another reason to fire McDermott

Watkins90

9 minutes ago, beer can shower said:

And Josh Allen was selling Subway at the Super Bowl and Pat Mahomes was MVP.
That's not "revisonist history" that's a fact.

Like it or not.

What’s exactly is your point? That’s more a Sean McDermott front office issue and a coaching one cause if you think Mahomes would be anywhere near the player he is here in a defense first front office and coaching staff I don’t know what to tell you. 

Cause I sure as heck know the kinda player Allen would be under Andy Reid’s tutelage and that’s a fact. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

May I quietly point out that Mahomes coming onto a roster with Kelce and Hill is a hell of a lot easier than coming onto a roster with broken Sammy Watkins, Deonte Thompson, and Charles “Hands of” Clay?

True, however a good Coach  knowing Mahomes potential, would not bring in Wr's like Kelvin Benjamin, Anquin Bolden.

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What’s exactly is your point? That’s more a Sean McDermott front office issue and a coaching one cause if you think Mahomes would be anywhere near the player he is here in a defense first front office and coaching staff I don’t know what to tell you.

I  see  you made my point.
Not drafting Mahomes was the first mistake.  And keeping McDermott is another.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, beer can shower said:

True, however a good Coach  knowing Mahomes potential, would not bring in Wr's like Kelvin Benjamin, Anquin Bolden.

I  see  you made my point.
Not drafting Mahomes was the first mistake.  And keeping McDermott is another.

Like I said you are making mine how do you know Sean McDermott would have developed Mahomes?

If you have this much of a problem with him take it up with Beane and Pegula 

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You want Terry to fire his head coach because of a decision seven years ago that the owner ultimately signed off on?

Yes it was probably the worst trade in NFL history but it’s too late to fire someone over it.

I want Terry to fire the head coach because he isn't going to get us over the hump. This was just more pointing out a lot of our misery has to do with that one decision. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, McD should be fired for trading the Mahomes pick even though Mahomes wouldn't have been as good in Buffalo as he is in KC. 

I'm betting if that scenario played out your stance would be that McDermott should be fired because his handpicked QB in Mahomes wasn't progressing as quickly as that Josh Allen guy in Kansas City that keeps winning Super Bowls and he should have waited a year for the QB.

No, it wouldn't have been and McDermott would have been gone by now if Mahomes never developed. 

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Mahomes is the best QB in the league without question.  If you think he is the same Mahomes he is today without Andy Reid you don't understand the game.    He threw a beauty of a ball to win the game.   The play design was also a thing of beauty.

Reid coached an amazing game in the second half. Hats off to him.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Just think, in that alternate universe, we could have watched GOAT KC QB Josh Allen hoisting the trophy with Kelce last night.

Not necessarily true. I shouldn't have suggested that we draft Mahomes but not trading the pick could definitely have changed things. Maybe another team trades and it's there misery. 

Also, KC was decent with Smith. They more than likely wouldn't be in a position to pick Allen the next year. 

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I want Terry to fire the head coach because he isn't going to get us over the hump. This was just more pointing out a lot of our misery has to do with that one decision. 

No, it wouldn't have been and McDermott would have been gone by now if Mahomes never developed

So, in your mind this fan fiction scenario that you have written for us...even though Allen turned out pretty darn good under McDermott and the situation in Buffalo, Mahomes...well he would have flopped and McDermott would be gone. 

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Not necessarily true. I shouldn't have suggested that we draft Mahomes but not trading the pick could definitely have changed things. Maybe another team trades and it's there misery. 

Also, KC was decent with Smith. They more than likely wouldn't be in a position to pick Allen the next year. 

If we don't trade there the likelihood is that KC trades with the Saints who picked right behind us. If not the next QB off the board was with the Texans picking Watson with the pick following the Saints.. Perhaps they take Mahomes and we talk about Houston being a dynasty now. They end up keeping DHop. Bill O'Brien is lauded as an offensive genius. 

The flap of the wings of a butterfly so to speak. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, beer can shower said:

Yes, teams did know about Pat Mahomes. And not just KC.  And  if you were a coach and Andy Reid and/or the  GM called you to trade up,wouldn't you wonder who they wanted.  Then when they got a call from Houston.
      McDermott I believe was hired in January, plenty of time before the draft to review their needs and review scouting reports.
     And as to you saying with those coaches running the show, if  you  did your work why would you even hire those people to bring along a talent like Pat Mahomes.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/05/patrick-mahomes-andy-reid-brett-veach-scouting-nfl-draft

In this Fantasy world Mahomes has an MVP season throwing to Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes and Charles Clay? 

35 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That’s more a Sean McDermott front office issue and a coaching one cause if you think Mahomes would be anywhere near the player he is here in a defense first front office and coaching staff I don’t know what to tell you. 

So, are you saying that if a potential Kelce, Hill, Mahomes, Jefferson, Cee Dee Lamb, McCaferty came up in the draft that it would be okay for McDermott to pass on them like he did with Mahomes because He is a defense first coach?
   If you believe that, then you should talk to Pegula?

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

In this Fantasy world Mahomes has an MVP season throwing to Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes and Charles Clay? 

In a real world, if  a Head Coach had a player with Mahomes potential and put those receivers with him he should be fired.
And thinking about it  why would this coach have those receivers on the team to begin with.

23 minutes ago, beer can shower said:

So, are you saying that if a potential Kelce, Hill, Mahomes, Jefferson, Cee Dee Lamb, McCaferty came up in the draft that it would be okay for McDermott to pass on them like he did with Mahomes because He is a defense first coach?

In a real world, if  a Head Coach had a player with Mahomes potential and put those receivers with him he should be fired.
And thinking about it  why would this coach have those receivers on the team to begin with.

Why did he fall to 10? Mitch Trubisky went number 2 so 9 teams didn’t think Mahomes was worth their time. Just like 6 teams didn’t think Josh Allen was worth their time including 4 teams in the top 6 who needed qbs 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Why did he fall to 10? Mitch Trubisky went number 2 so 9 teams didn’t think Mahomes was worth their time. Just like 6 teams didn’t think Josh Allen was worth their time including 4 teams in the top 6 who needed qbs

Very Misleading statement.
3-9 were not looking for a Quarterback.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

I think he maybe had two plays that were "good" plays. He didnt do anything that any of the the top QBs in this league couldnt do that whole game.

The guy won and did his thing....but good lord....he was just a qb yesterday. I dont wanna hear about his greatness after that game. 

Guy throws a lolipop bomb where if that safety didnt lose his memory and forgot that he was an NFL safety that gets caught instead of intercepted.

Opinions vary

• Eyeroll 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-bills-trade-that-landed-kansas-city-patrick-mahomes-paid-major-dividends-for-both-teams/

Tre'Davious White (CB), Tremaine Edmunds (LB), Dion Dawkins (T), Zay Jones (WR), Siran Neal (CB)

for

Patrick Mahomes

Removing the hindsight goggles, I think I vote “yes” on this trade.  I’m no NFL scout, but I remember watching the highlight film of Mahomes.   My takeaway was “that freelancing magic doesn’t translate, but oh, what fun.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

If his defense isn't elite, do we talk about how he threw a pick and missed Rashee Rice for the game winning TD?

Because it seems we always need to talk about this with Allen due to the defense vomiting all over themselves in these games, thus everything he does is magnified in a loss. 

What ifs are just that. Like I said, im not a supporter but in a monster game he won. The QB is the most important position in all of sports. We are now officially in the offseason none of this really matters.

35 minutes ago, beer can shower said:

Thats what Allen had his rookie year. The same year Mahomes took over in KC. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Herschel Walker is still the worst trade in NFL history, and it's not close.

Exactly.  The next closest in my life time (I'm 74), was the Bills trading Daryl Lamonica and a WR to the Oakland Raiders for QB Tom Flores and another player in the 1960s.   Lamonica took the Raiders to AFC championships and the Super Bowl.  Flores and the other player were duds in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Okay. It’s a guarantee that Patrick Mahomes is the main reason we haven’t played in one yet. Good thing we got Siran Neal and Zay Jones though.

You very conveniently cherry pick facts to fit your argument by mentioning some Bills mediocre draft picks while ignoring the better ones.  The Bills drafted Tre White with KC's 2017 pick.  White was an All-Pro CB before his injuries.  They also drafted Matt Milano in 2017 who became an All Pro LB for the Bills as well as 3 time Pro Bowl LT Dion Dawkins.  Suddenly, the Bills 2017 draft looks pretty good: 2 All Pros and a Pro Bowl LT.  In 2018, in addition to Allen, the Bills drafted LB Tremaine Edmunds as well as DB Taron Johnson was 2nd Team CB in 2023.   You also conveniently ignore that the Bills traded for Stephon Diggs in 2020.

58 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He may be, but he wouldn’t be partnered with Reid, Hill, Kelce etc etc. which everyone says is the the reason he was so successful.

It's very interesting that you ignore the impact of KC's DC Spagnulo and All-Pro defensive players Chris Jones and Trent McDuffie on the Chiefs' back-to-back Super Bowl championships, but tout Tyreek Hill, who wasn't part of the 2022 and 2023 Super Bowl teams.   Crafty propagandizing or simple ignorance?  

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

But the Bears where and in the Allen draft 4 teams in the top 6 where looking for qb upgrades 5 in the top 10 since that’s where Rosen was selected

So the Bears wanted Tribisky.
Not talking about the 2018 Draft>
If you recall Mahomes was drafted in 2017.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Blah blah blah. Look, McDermott isn’t getting fired until Pegula wants to fire him. Simple as that. 

With how big of a dumpster fire the Sabers have been it will take a massive level of melt. 

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly.  The next closest in my life time (I'm 74), was the Bills trading Daryl Lamonica and a WR to the Oakland Raiders for QB Tom Flores and another player in the 1960s.   Lamonica took the Raiders to AFC championships and the Super Bowl.  Flores and the other player were duds in Buffalo.

You very conveniently cherry pick facts to fit your argument by mentioning some Bills mediocre draft picks while ignoring the better ones.  The Bills drafted Tre White with KC's 2017 pick.  White was an All-Pro CB before his injuries.  They also drafted Matt Milano in 2017 who became an All Pro LB for the Bills as well as 3 time Pro Bowl LT Dion Dawkins.  Suddenly, the Bills 2017 draft looks pretty good: 2 All Pros and a Pro Bowl LT.  In 2018, in addition to Allen, the Bills drafted LB Tremaine Edmunds as well as DB Taron Johnson was 2nd Team CB in 2023.   You also conveniently ignore that the Bills traded for Stephon Diggs in 2020.

It's very interesting that you ignore the impact of KC's DC Spagnulo and All-Pro defensive players Chris Jones and Trent McDuffie on the Chiefs' back-to-back Super Bowl championships, but tout Tyreek Hill, who wasn't part of the 2022 and 2023 Super Bowl teams.   Crafty propagandizing or simple ignorance?  

I’m not sure how you could miss the point harder tbh.

7 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

This whole Chiefs dynasty falls on one man and one man only, in hindsight. 

Sean McDermott

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes. 

I literally felt like he should have been fired last night for making us all endure this. If Mahomes comes to Buffalo in 2017, he never turns into the QB he did. 

Actually, wouldn't BB be the responsible one for the trade? 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've said this for some time and people are still going to brush this off for whatever reason.

But the bottom line is that even if you look past the obvious in that McDivisional is never going to win a game against Mahomes and other elite QB's in the NFL when it matters in the postseason, the fact he made a true franchise and NFL altering trade with the guy who fired him for being bad at his job is the loudest message you'll ever hear in terms of why he needs to go.

Yes we still lucked out and got Josh Allen as part of that deal. But what else did the Bills land in that trade? An overrated, injury prone DB that is going to be out of the league in a few years, certainly not part of this team anymore at best.

And if Bills fans aren't sick to their stomach now just wait another 5+ years (and more Mahomes superbowl rings) to truly realize what was wasted keeping this guy around for so long.

Who, exactly is this "we" you are referencing???  You're a well-known Miami troll, so don't come here pretending to be a Bills fan.  You would just love for the Bills to deconstruct their team so that your sad-assed Fishies might have a shot at winning the AFCE.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mat68 said:

With how big of a dumpster fire the Sabers have been it will take a massive level of melt. 

Maybe, though they have made quite a few changes in the Coach dept. of course, it’s Hockey so a completely different thing. We don’t know what Pegulas tolerance level is because the expectations are probably different. Bills have a superstar QB., the Sabres have no such player. 

7 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

This whole Chiefs dynasty falls on one man and one man only, in hindsight. 

Sean McDermott

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes. 

I literally felt like he should have been fired last night for making us all endure this. If Mahomes comes to Buffalo in 2017, he never turns into the QB he did. 

I always chuckle when I see the “didn’t have time to study the QB class” excuse. SMDH. Is there a more important factor in determining the success of a team - and by extension that team’s HC - than the quality of QB on the field?

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

Just now, Returntoglory said:

Then Whaley? 

Whaley had been neutered by McDermott for the draft. He was so angry at being totally ignored that he left the draft room. Then he was fired immediately after the draft. The only reason he was kept through it was so that he wouldn’t leak info. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

keep hitting that nail

I know it must hurt in the land of hypotheticals to know that Pat and the gang have knocked us out 3/4 times and Pat is a Chief because of us. Indisputable facts and all that.

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I know it must hurt in the land of hypotheticals to know that Pat and the gang have knocked us out 3/4 times and Pat is a Chief because of us. Indisputable facts and all that.

Then why are you still here if you think the Bills with Josh Allen can never get to the SB?

33 minutes ago, beer can shower said:

Yes  oh in case  you didn't know McDermott passed on Mahomes and traded 10th to KC Chiefs who took Mahomes.
Glad I  could help you as well.

And? He wasn’t taken till pick 10 meaning nine teams didn’t think enough of Patrick that someone wouldn’t trade up with them. Btw did you see who some of those teams before pick 10 had at Qb? You’re talking the Andy Daltons, Josh Mccowns, and Jimmy Garapolos of the world. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then why are you still here if you think the Bills with Josh Allen can never get to the SB?

I never said that lol. He definitely can’t win one in 2023, or 2021, or 2020 because he already lost to Pat. 

Hopefully he can eventually squeak by and win one. Unfortunately Allen is gonna have to deal with Pat for likely his whole career. If only we traded Mahomes to some dog ***** franchise. 

7 hours ago, juno999 said:

The Chiefs are just a very well run organization and it goes beyond Mahomes.  Kelce and Chris Jones are unicorns and the Chiefs just keep drafting really well.  Meanwhile the Bills have Allen and a bunch of good but not great players.  Bills need difference makers.

Or some difference makers who aren't mostly injured by the playoffs.

1 hour ago, beer can shower said:

So the Bears wanted Tribisky.
Not talking about the 2018 Draft>
If you recall Mahomes was drafted in 2017.

Um, Mahomes was in the same draft. Mitch went #3, CMC #9 and then him @ #10. 

Trubisky wasn’t great his first season but he wasn’t bad the next 2 either. He did after all take them to the P/Os where the lost to Pinero’s double doink…

At least there was a shimmer of success with him. 

They needed a QB but I still don’t know how you choose Mitchell because of 1 year of success collegiately over Mahomes who killed it his final 2 at Texas Tech. 

The kid lead the nation in pretty much all QB statistics that final year there… The only knock was it didn’t translate to wins for the program. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BBFL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.