Is Mahomes at Brady Levels?

Mikie2times

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Just a question without passing judgement. Would your feelings be different if it was the Bills going for their third ring this weekend with Allen being a 2 time MVP and the same was being said? No wrong answer.

Nope.  Rings should not be sole criteria of greatness.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

He's the golden boy of the league, because he generates interest if you love him, or if you hate him.

So there's no downside in terms of publicity to D-ride Mahomes, his annoying brother, and his karen of a wife. 

That's it. That's all. 

• Haha (+1) 1

All of the ESPN shows are the same. Usually the same useless drivel from the same bobbleheads on a daily basis. Every now and again someone will shock you by giving an intelligent response or an intelligent in depth argument for where they stand, but it's typically the same narrative driven nonsense by the same clowns all piled into the VW together. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mahomes would have 3 rings at 28. He deserves any accolades he receives. Nobody has that kind of resume. I don't know if he will get to 7 given the age of Kelce and Andy Reid but he's either going to be the best or the 2nd best player of all time when all is said and done.

taylor swift haters gonna hate GIF

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

He's the golden boy of the league, because he generates interest if you love him, or if you hate him.

So there's no downside in terms of publicity to D-ride Mahomes, his annoying brother, and his karen of a wife. 

nailed it.  i more or less appreciate mahomes, but last week i saw a graphic of him wearing a crown, cape, and holding a scepter.  i wanted to smash my tv.

2 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Nope.  Rings should not be sole criteria of greatness.

Ok. And I agree with that. Players like Marino, Kelly, Warren Moon., Barry Sanders, Larry Fitzgerald..all great without them.

Then again, when you add the  MVPs, the numbers and the things he's accomplished during his time as a starter thus far it at the very minimum makes it a conversation. I mean, win or lose Sunday with what he's done this far he's at minimum a HoF QB and on the first ballot even if he never takes another snap in the NFL in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I enjoy Mike Greenberg and Get Up but yesterday and today they ran segments entitled “Does a Super Bowl Win Make Mahones an Immortal?”.  The point being that no NFL player has won two MVP’s and three championships in his first seven seasons.  Only players who have accomplished that are Bird, Russell, LaFluer, Musial, Mantle and DiMaggio (admittedly a pretty awesome list).  

This stuff drives me crazy. Football is the ultimate team game. It’s not tennis. It’s not golf. Heck, even in basketball one player has immeasurably more impact on the game than any one football player.   Please tell me that Brady would have won 7 SB’s if Brady’s Colts had to beat Manning’s Patriots every year?  And I give Brady enormous credit for (1) winning 4 rings after age 36 (just insane) and (2) winning a title with the Bucs.  

If the Bills had kept their draft pick and selected Mahones would he be going for his third ring this Sunday?  Mahones is good. He is very good.  But please, please stop measuring QB’s in a vacuum based solely on the number of rings that they have.

It's not "ball washing" when he's the best player in the league by miles, and will be no lower than 2nd in the GOAT conversation with a Super Bowl win on sunday. He could retire today and he'd be a first ballot unanimous hall of Famer. He's earned ever ounce of praise he gets.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't ever recall the Bills or local sports talk guys mentioning Patrick Mahomes as a potential Buffalo Bills pick,..  For that reason I never pay attention to the people that says the Bills failed by trading the pick.  He was never getting drafted here.  I don't think the Bills were selecting a high QB at all in that draft.  The real losers were Chicago taking Trubisky #2 overall.   KC was smart,,,  they saw something no one else did and traded up ahead of the Saints to grab him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

Love GMFB, but can’t watch right now. Can’t stand hearing about him, or swift.  Just too much. I usually watch all day coverage on Super Bowl Sunday, and can’t this time.

I've been on sabbatical since the Bills loss. Amazingly, I have yet to watch one sports talk program or listen to any podcasts or WGR.  I'm shocked I've been able to do it, but will try to maintain as long as I can. Tbh, ignorance is bliss! 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Greenberg does well what his mission is, to be over the top controversial.

I am just grateful the Jets were so bad so we done have to hear his JETS JETS JETS JETS praise.  I vividly recall how giddy Greenberg was with Zach Wilson after his first pre season game claiming he would be better than Joe Namath (not really too hard).

I have always thought the overemphasis on winning a SB judging QBs is a joke.  A lot of media pundits claim Jim Kelly wasn't great because he never got a ring as if he was the one that missed a 47 yard field goal.

Kelly might not have missed the kick but he had a bunch of misses in that game to win, when it was clear that the Giants were shutting down the passing game Jim (who called plays) elected to keep on passing instead of running Thurman. He also had really bad clock management in that final drive as often Thurman. After Thurman got tackled at the 29, Kelly had 9 seconds on the clock. He elected to spike the ball instead of running a final play to try and get it closer.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ok. And I agree with that. Players like Marino, Kelly, Warren Moon., Barry Sanders, Larry Fitzgerald..all great without them.

Then again, when you add the  MVPs, the numbers and the things he's accomplished during his time as a starter thus far it at the very minimum makes it a conversation. I mean, win or lose Sunday with what he's done this far he's at minimum a HoF QB and on the first ballot even if he never takes another snap in the NFL in my opinion.

Don’t get me wrong. I agree he is a great QB, but so many more factors go into winning a championship: HC, OC, decent OL and skill positions. Defense for God’s sakes.  Just hate when commentators act like it’s Borg v. McEnroe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, st pete gogolak said:

Don’t get me wrong. I agree he is a great QB, but so many more factors go into winning a championship: HC, OC, decent OL and skill positions. Defense for God’s sakes.  Just hate when commentators act like it’s Borg v. McEnroe.

I get ya. However, to play devil's advocate for a moment....

How many championships do the Chiefs have with say, Mitch Trubisky? 

How many wins in a season do the Bills have without Josh Allen?

We all know it takes more than a QB to win and wins shouldn't be solely a QB stat. That makes all the sense in the world being as much of a team sport as it is. Yet, QB is still the most important factor in it and it isn't particularly close. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Mahomes is a great QB, one of the best I've ever seen... I have no problem with anyone pointing that out. What bothers me is the ongoing narrative that he is the sole reason for the Chiefs success in recent years. QBs have less of an effect on their team than normal discussion would have you think. People act like QBs are responsible for like 80% of their team's success when in fact it's closer to 40%, probably even less than that to be honest.

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Maybe it's because I've become desensitized to it, but I still feel like Brady was way better 

I think Brady was better at reading defenses/taking what they gave him. Whereas Mahomes is best in improvising or going off script, granted sometimes he's more lucky than good as many a time he should be intercepted and he's not or guys pass on tackling him because his fake sideline stuff etc. As much as I hate Mahomes I do have to credit him like Brady he always seems to be not rattled, something Josh has to learn to do TBH. 

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I don't ever recall the Bills or local sports talk guys mentioning Patrick Mahomes as a potential Buffalo Bills pick,..  For that reason I never pay attention to the people that says the Bills failed by trading the pick.  He was never getting drafted here.  I don't think the Bills were selecting a high QB at all in that draft.  The real losers were Chicago taking Trubisky #2 overall.   KC was smart,,,  they saw something no one else did and traded up ahead of the Saints to grab him.

I think this is what bothers me the most about any Mahomes discourse.  The revisionist history that the Bills goofed by not taking him and trading the pick.  Those of us around this board would all agree that maybe a handful of people liked Mahomes as the Bills pick in that spot.  Majority of us didn't think at all that he was on the Bills radar.

Also, does it really matter since they drafted Allen anyways?  We're not 2 time Super Bowl champions because Mahomes has been light years better than Allen, they have the rings because Reid is light years ahead of McDermott.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Heels20X6 said:

I think this is what bothers me the most about any Mahomes discourse.  The revisionist history that the Bills goofed by not taking him and trading the pick.  Those of us around this board would all agree that maybe a handful of people liked Mahomes as the Bills pick in that spot.  Majority of us didn't think at all that he was on the Bills radar.

Also, does it really matter since they drafted Allen anyways?  We're not 2 time Super Bowl champions because Mahomes has been light years better than Allen, they have the rings because Reid is light years ahead of McDermott.

Even in years when the Chiefs didn't have a great defense, they still managed to play decent in the playoffs. Something McDermott's defense hasn't done enough of.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.