Leslie Frazier interviewing for Dolphins DC

17 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Babich...Frazier...seems Dolphins are more obsessed with us than we are with KC.

Well....under McDaniel, we are the immediate roadblock to their playoff dreams. 

20 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I know people are gonna joke here, but I don't want a DC in the division who knows Allen that well and can tell McDaniels about what he expects McDermott to do.  

What makes you think Frazier knows Allen that well?  The defensive coaches are not generally studying our own offense.  They're watching film of our next opponent's defense, and leading practice against a scout team simulating that defense.  I don't think they have a lot of time or spend a lot of time studying our own offensive tendencies.

As far as McDermott, I don't follow this myself, but people who do have said there are only a few times in their 6 years when McDermott took over playcalling from Frazier.  Frazier knows the defense well, but do those few times actually give him more insight than watching 2023 game film?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He wasn't fired he stepped down. I know that for a stone cold fact.

You’ve mentioned this before but you’ve never told us how you know it for a stone cold fact. Do you personally know Leslie?

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Steptide said:

I think fraiser takes alot of unnecessary flack. I know he was super frustrating at times, but the outcome this year was no different without him

I’d add one big caveat….Frazier with almost perfectly healthy teams came up short every time from having his D make an impact in the playoffs.  This year, Bills had a D riddled with critical injuries and the result was the same.  

There would be no 13 second let down if Frazier had been without his two starting LBs, his best CB and numerous critical backups.  It would’ve been the game the Bills scored 30 something and the chiefs dropped 50 on them.  

33 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You’ve mentioned this before but you’ve never told us how you know it for a stone cold fact. Do you personally know Leslie?

maybe he stepped down, but was given a nudge in that direction. ie: "you are still the d coordinator, but I am calling the plays next year."  that's the most likely scenario in the mind of random board poster Man with no name, if it's true that he stepped down. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

maybe he stepped down, but was given a nudge in that direction. ie: "you are still the d coordinator, but I am calling the plays next year."  that's the most likely scenario in the mind of random board poster Man with no name, if it's true that he stepped down. 

I think that is the most likely scenario too. I don't know that is how it went down, but it feels the most likely reason Leslie would essentially resign. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Grid said:

I’d add one big caveat….Frazier with almost perfectly healthy teams came up short every time from having his D make an impact in the playoffs.  This year, Bills had a D riddled with critical injuries and the result was the same.  

There would be no 13 second let down if Frazier had been without his two starting LBs, his best CB and numerous critical backups.  It would’ve been the game the Bills scored 30 something and the chiefs dropped 50 on them.  

Where did you get the idea "Frazier with almost perfectly healthy teams" came up short?

Last season of course we were missing Von Miller after T'Giving.  Our starting DT's vs the Bengals were Tim Settle and Eli Ankou.  Ed Oliver and Jordan Phillips were playing in a brace - Phillips needed post- season surgery.  Da'Quan Jones was out.  In the backfield, Marlow and Jaquan Johnson was playing for Hamlin who was playing for Hyde, so 3rd string.  Elam was playing for Benford across from Dane Jackson.

I'm not saying this to make excuse -the team sucked that day - but it's simply not true that we were "almost perfectly healthy" on D in playoffs for Frazier.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The story was that he needed a year off and was planning to come back in 2024....

If he left on his own accord and is welcome in Buffalo, why isn't he coming to Buffalo? Why is he looking for a job in Miami?

Actually, this does disprove the theory.

IT was pure BS in the first place; can't imagine anyone actually believed it.

Lots of fans don't have much experience in the corporate world.

Typically a coach taking a year off is a sign they want out....when have you ever seen a coach take a year off and come back to the same team...see Sean Payton. 

Again this proves nothing. My guess is still that he chose to leave. The Bills wouldn't have waited so long to fire him. 

He decided he wanted out, all the coaching vacancies were filled. So he took a year off let his contract expire and then started looking for new opportunities this offseason. 

20 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I dont think we make the playoffs if Frazier is the DC.  The D was more aggressive this year which lead to turnovers that won us games, when the offense left the D for dead.

Sean's D gave up 3-game winning drives that ended up in losses and almost lost to the Giants as well. His aggressiveness backfired at times.

2 hours ago, DC Grid said:

Frazier with almost perfectly healthy teams 

In 2022, Leslie Frazier’s top ranked D went 13-3 missing the following players...

Micah Hyde - 15 games

Tre White - 11 games

Von Miller - 8 Games

Christian Benford - 7 games

Damar Hamlin - 5 games

Jordan Phillips - 4 games

Jordan Poyer - 4 Games

Gregory Rousseau - 3 Games

Tremain Edmunds - 2 Games

Ed Oliver - 2 Games

Daquan Jones - 1 Game (Bengals Playoff!)

Boogie Basham - 1 Game

Dane Jackson - 1 Game

Aside from the nonsense about Frazier not being fired by the Bills and deciding to 'take a year off', I really don't understand this move by the Dolphins if he does get hired.

Seems a bit desperate by McDaniel especially if they think he's going to help solve the Josh Allen puzzle because of his intimate knowledge of the Bills organization. But that's just it, even though the Dolphins have made the playoffs the last 2 years I can see them firing McDaniel if they don't win the division in 2024 and/or make a deeper postseason run.

With Frazier, you know what you're getting.  The Dolphins will get a quality defense that is sold on zone and hates blitzing.  In the modern NFL, there are ways for quality offenses with smart offensive coordinators and great QBs to beat a Frazier defense.  Ultimately, I think that's why the Bills decided to move on from Frazier.  Yes, McDermott is primarily a zone defense guy, but he understands the need to vary what you do in order to keep offenses off balance.  That's also why I don't worry about Buffalo facing a defense where Frazier is in charge.  Buffalo will know what they are facing and how to combat it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.