Seven Nation Army on Gamedays

4 hours ago, Neo said:

You’d not ask if you ever heard, and saw, Haley Reinhart and Postmodern Jukebox’s version …

Oh, baby!

torch the place down she did lol awesome find 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

i absolutely hate the 7 Nation Army chant. They use it at european soccer games for crying out loud. If thats not reason in itself to stop doing it, idk what is.

But my game day experience is full of cringe. That ghastly train whistle is so darn annoying. Give me the sound of a stampeding herd of Bison. Give me anything but the stupid whistle.

Between the 7 Nation Army chant & the whistle, it 100% ruins my gameday experience. I cant scream loud enough to drown them out lol.

Fwiw: i'm also on Discord servers & reddit & talk about the BILLS to 100's of people around the country. Unscientific total: 90% of everyone i speak to hates the whistle & chant too.

Its gotten to the point where its almost embarrassing.

But at the end of the day, what matters is my BILLS, our BILLS, so i put up with it. But it'd be great to be prouder of these gameday traditions

• Haha (+1) 1

1 last point, the music in both our arenas is trash.
Case in point: that song Cotton Eyed Joe was never that great a song. Released in 1994 it peaked at #25 on the charts.

YET WE STILL PLAY IT EVERY GAME it seems.

Hopefully with a new arena it'll bring a fresh gameday experience, bcuz everything else is outdated.

I just always think to myself: can't we do better? Yes I believe we can.

On 1/29/2024 at 2:07 PM, Gugny said:

Okay, Bob. I’ll rephrase. Very sporting event (baseball, football, hockey) that I’ve been to over the last decade or so has played that song. 

Why?

It is familiar to most. 
It has a great beat. 
It is easy to clap to. 
It is simple. 

We’re not talking rocket surgery. 

This is pretty much the answer.  The intro itself is a hook.  Everyone knows it without knowing the words to the song and can sing along to it.

Similar to "We will rock you" by Queen or "Sweet Carolin" by Neil Diamond.  It's easy for the fans to get in to.

17 hours ago, Simon said:

I think they should bring back Talkin' Proud and show the video that has the lady with the crazy chicken walk.

I remember when local Buffalo supermarket 'Bells' was running with the Talkin' Proud theme and had even sold a local version of Buffalo Bills football cards. I still have some of them :)

4 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

I remember when local Buffalo supermarket 'Bells' was running with the Talkin' Proud theme and had even sold a local version of Buffalo Bills football cards. I still have some of them :)

I wonder how many of those things are still hiding out in WNY closets and shoeboxes 40 years later.

My guess is that both of our estimates would be low.👍

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Agree with the OP.

I prefer to hear “We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions”.   It’s catchy and has a good beat.  I give it a 8.5. 

The Bills would be the laughing stock in all of Sports if they used We Are the Champions as one of their stadium songs 

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The Bills would be the laughing stock in all of Sports if they used We Are the Champions as one of their stadium songs 

I laughed out loud at a bar reading this. Literally. 

5 hours ago, brianthomas said:

i absolutely hate the 7 Nation Army chant. They use it at european soccer games for crying out loud. If thats not reason in itself to stop doing it, idk what is.

But my game day experience is full of cringe. That ghastly train whistle is so darn annoying. Give me the sound of a stampeding herd of Bison. Give me anything but the stupid whistle.

Between the 7 Nation Army chant & the whistle, it 100% ruins my gameday experience. I cant scream loud enough to drown them out lol.

Fwiw: i'm also on Discord servers & reddit & talk about the BILLS to 100's of people around the country. Unscientific total: 90% of everyone i speak to hates the whistle & chant too.

Its gotten to the point where its almost embarrassing.

But at the end of the day, what matters is my BILLS, our BILLS, so i put up with it. But it'd be great to be prouder of these gameday traditions

it’s really funny you mention the stampeding herd of Bison bc I had the exact same thought. I would rather hear that. And it would be original and relevant. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

LOL. Hey - they had the Lombardi Trophy banner hanging in the field house this season!  

“We don’t need to win no damn game to be champs!”

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Well, I am the proud owner of 2 bells' Green and yellow whammy weenies from summer of 82.  They seem to whammy the bills mostly in my use of them though.

They were recalled due to huge amounts of lead paint and people putting them in various orifices.  I lived in Rochester and my dad got them in Buffalo so no point returning them for .25c all that way.  Old man told me - 12 yo - about the lead and moved on.  

Frankly, bullet narrowly dodged.  They have like three BB sized plastic beads in them and make very little noise for an outdoor stadium.  We would have looked dorks shaking them in the stands.  Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:24 PM, bobobonators said:

Why do the Bills always play this song on gamedays?  The song is 20yrs old and, as far as I’m aware, has zero relevance to Buffalo. 

In my opinion, playing this song comes off as tacky, outdated and simply put:  embarrassing. 

1. Why do we play this song?

2. Who is responsible for selecting the playlist on game days. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Embarrassing?  Wild take

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

I laughed out loud at a bar reading this. Literally. 

it’s really funny you mention the stampeding herd of Bison bc I had the exact same thought. I would rather hear that. And it would be original and relevant. 

they actually used to do that on some third downs in the mid to late 90s IIRC

On 1/29/2024 at 10:33 AM, bobobonators said:

The song is not a classic and has no bearing to anything Buffalo, so why continue playing it every home game? 

It's no paragon of musical virtuosity, but it is undeniably a classic of the rock and roll canon.  It's the late Gen-x/early Millennial "Back in Black."  And I'd take it any day over the jock rock staples of Gary Glitter or Start Me Up that I had to endure on game days for years as a kid.

My earliest memory of the seven nation army song was when I was at bills Vs broncos Christmas Eve game in 2011 where Tebow played. They played it every kickoff 

As far as the train horn. I remember hearing it at a game in November of 2012 where we beat the dolphins on a Thursday night. They didn’t play it every 3rd down I don’t think 

They're playing this song right now at my gym (and playing girls flag football on the TV). I wouldn't have known what this was called but for this thread. Thanks, I guess.l, lol. I personally like that Ozzy song they play at Bills games.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:24 PM, bobobonators said:

Why do the Bills always play this song on gamedays?  The song is 20yrs old and, as far as I’m aware, has zero relevance to Buffalo. 

In my opinion, playing this song comes off as tacky, outdated and simply put:  embarrassing. 

1. Why do we play this song?

2. Who is responsible for selecting the playlist on game days. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

I agree. Maybe we should switch it to Sweet Caroline. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/30/2024 at 2:49 PM, 34-78-83 said:

On 1/30/2024 at 7:14 PM, Simon said:

I wonder how many of those things are still hiding out in WNY closets and shoeboxes 40 years later.

My guess is that both of our estimates would be low.👍

I still have some of those old Bells football cards. They were better than a lot of the pro cards released, IMO.

On 1/30/2024 at 7:15 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Nothing is more embarrassing than the Fish stealing the Houston Oilers old 'Love Ya Blue' song and playing it as their own. Frauds.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree. Maybe we should switch it to Sweet Caroline. 

The f'n Panthers play it after wins. Or at least I think they do. I haven't had a large enough sample size the last few years. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.