Detroit = Cleveland = Buffalo - The Curse of Lake Erie?

KDIGGZ

Detroit = Cleveland = Buffalo...the Curse of Lake Erie?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What the heck is going on??

• It's a CURSE!
    • Toxic water levels in Lake Erie
    • It's just a coincidence, nothing to see here!
    • Other (comment)

6 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I had a bit of a PTSD episode watching the 3rd quarter of the game last night. As soon as Aiyuk made that circus catch, I knew it was over, even though Detroit still technically had a two-score lead. I've seen how that movie ends WAY too many times.

I agree with you here, but the most amazing thing about that play is that they picked up the flag and said no PI on Detroit, when it did indeed look like blatant PI on Detroit.

First Detroit and Cleveland have won undisputed major national championships. Buffalo hasn’t so I wouldn’t put Detroit and Cleveland in the same category as Buffalo. Cleveland Cavaliers won with LeBron James. Buffalo is in a category by itself. The Bills losing to Kansas City Chiefs in 1966 for the right to go to the first Super Bowl. Bob Lanier hurting his knee tripping over Villainova’s Chris Ford in 1970 when the Bonnies went to the NCAA Basketball Tournament Final Four. The Sabres losing in the Stanley Cup finals in 1975 and 1999. The Bills Joe Ferguson hurting his ankle costing the 1980 Bills team against the San Diego Chargers. The 1990’s Bills four Super Bowl losses, 13 seconds and now Wide Right we are in a catagory by ourselves. I don’t believe in curses Buffalo just didn’t get it done maybe next season in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

If Dan Campbell kicks 2 Field goals when he should have. They probably win that game. That's his fault 

Yeah that was just kind blowing to me.  In the playoffs points matter.  The games changes with a FG up 24-10

• Agree 1

All the other cities' teams have multiple rings:

Detroit Red Wings - check

Detroit Tigers - check

Detroit Pistons - check

Cleveland Cavaliers - check

Cleveland Guardians - check

Only the football teams don't (well...Cleveland did win it all twice...as the "new" franchise Baltimore), as well as the Sabres. Has to be a football and/or Buffalo thing.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

First Detroit and Cleveland have won undisputed major national championships. Buffalo hasn’t so I wouldn’t put Detroit and Cleveland in the same category as Buffalo. Cleveland Cavaliers won with LeBron James. Buffalo is in a category by itself. The Bills losing to Kansas City Chiefs in 1966 for the right to go to the first Super Bowl. Bob Lanier hurting his knee tripping over Villainova’s Chris Ford in 1970 when the Bonnies went to the NCAA Basketball Tournament Final Four. The Sabres losing in the Stanley Cup finals in 1975 and 1999. The Bills Joe Ferguson hurting his ankle costing the 1980 Bills team against the San Diego Chargers. The 1990’s Bills four Super Bowl losses, 13 seconds and now Wide Right we are in a catagory by ourselves. I don’t believe in curses Buffalo just didn’t get it done maybe next season in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Don't forget the Music City Mircale.

13 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

If Dan Campbell kicks 2 Field goals when he should have. They probably win that game. That's his fault 

I haven’t read this thread but I will predict some dweeb will be saying, “well, the analytics say if you go for a first down on both of those plays you increase your win% to 53.472%. 

That’s the crux of the entire analytics problem. Going for it on 4th dandy 5 at your 30 yd line when you have Mahomes and Kielce playing against some scrubs is a world different than Goff and whoever against the 49ers defense. But the analytics doesn’t know how to properly weigh situations when there are infinite relevant variables. 

to the tune of Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald

The legend lives on from the Iriquois on down

of the big lake they call Erielhonan

The lake it is said never gives up her dead 

When playoffs come with intense emotion

With records better than most, the lakes teams could boast

That they had strong chances in the post season

WIth good rosters on hand, and good game plans

They'd always come up short for some reason

The Lions usually die before you'd eat your pumpkin pie

While watching them play on Thanksgiving

When Barry played, they thought they had it made

But the regular seasons proved so unforgiving

When Campbell came round, they thought they found

A winner who'd bite off your kneecap

But after winning the first two, everyone knew 

In San Francisco it was just the same crap

The Browns couldn't survive when Elway had "The Drive"

And later they'd suffer "the Fumble"

Shoetenhiemer moved on but the curse wasn't gone

As the Browns would continue to stumble

The team moved away but the troubles would stay

As the team would become the Ravens

The Ravens would win as Cleveland got a team again

They're still missing the success they've been craving

The Bills got in, four straight times and couldn't win

Twice Dallas, the skins, then the kicker

Then Allen came, and they thought things would change

Because he was bigger, and stronger, and quicker

While better than most, and even if they were the host

They'd be finished early each season

Mahomes and Burrow they'd fight, another kick went wide right

Leaving the Mafia searching for reasons

Edited by Zerovoltz
Grammar and spelling

Curses, superstitions, prophecies, karma, etc... is the human brain's attempt to try and make sense of an unpredictable world.  It reduces anxiety and provides a sense of control.  At least that's what my fortune cookie said last night.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't know about you, but the parallels between last night's game hit a little bit too close to home for me. To me it seemed inevitable that Detroit was going to lose that game as SF started battling back. There was nothing Detroit could do, they were going to choke.

We have seen it ourselves. A well rounded team with an explosive offense and a good defense comes out of nowhere and shocks the league. That was us in 2020, and like Detroit we almost rode that wave all the way to the Superbowl. "We'll be back next year" echoed many of the Detroit Lions faithful. Don't be so sure.

For whatever reason, Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo are all eerily similar. Rust belt cities that have been down on their luck for the past 50+ years or so. We also share a common geographic feature...Lake Erie. Is it something in the water? Could it be a native American curse? Or just a coincidence? You decide!

It's what isn't in the water - ketchup and mustard!

Calling Pinto Ron.

F this.  There's no such thing as curses.  I love our fan base,  but we need to learn to be more defiant in the face of defeat.  Things don't go right?  Get up, get back at it, and hit the rock harder next time.  As long as you keep on trying, it will eventually break.  

I am an Indians fan and it lines up with the Buffalo sports experience.  A team that has had good runs and maintains general relevancy.  However some really bad beats.  Ownership also will not do what it takes to get over the top financially.

Overall, it is not a curse.  Buffalo had the Chiefs right where they wanted them in the last 2 playoff meetings and willingly let them off the hook.  Last season and in 2021, the Bengals and Chiefs were just better at the time.  

The Sabres are just the worst run franchise in the 4 major sports and have been for more than a decade.  The only curse is bad ownership/management.

11 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Yeah that was just kind blowing to me.  In the playoffs points matter.  The games changes with a FG up 24-10

Exactly. If they make the kick it's a 3 score game in the 3rd quarter. I take that every time

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.