What is McDermott’s Magnum Opus?

bubba2018

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He’s done after 2024, we all know it. Let’s not pretend he’s Chan Gailey or Dick Jaydon out there. 

Bringing him back this year is pretty much just like when we brought Jauron back in year 4 knowing exactly what we were going to get...so I guess in that sense you're right. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, bubba2018 said:

I want people to list off some of McDermotts best coaching moments that you can remember which directly impacted the outcome of a game in a positive way. You guys think McDermott deserves another year? Prove it and post each scenario/evidence as to why you believe McDermott deserves another shot. 

Shutting  down the reigning MVP Lamar Jackson to clinch the first Bills AFCCG appearance since the 1993 season. Defensive masterclass.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's just say that other coaches would disagree since he came up with blueprint Tennessee openly stated they used to beat Lamar in the playoffs and he also came up with the gameplan that was used last year against the Dolphins in week 3 to slow them down that took several weeks for anyone to copy, but after the Chargers stole it from us, it was copied by several other teams.

Edited by Big Turk

41 minutes ago, bubba2018 said:

I want people to list off some of McDermotts best coaching moments that you can remember which directly impacted the outcome of a game in a positive way. You guys think McDermott deserves another year? Prove it and post each scenario/evidence as to why you believe McDermott deserves another shot. 

You lost half the posters here with the "magnum opus" reference in the thread title.

The other half think it's a reference to an Icelandic strong man.

😹   

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, bubba2018 said:

That was intense. I feel like I have to go to my bedroom now. 

1 hour ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

His defensive coaching against Lamar and the Ravens in the 2020 playoffs win against them was great. Shutdown a Pro Bowl caliber QB who routinely burned opponents to 3 points. McDermott seems to have the Ravens number (beat them in 2022 too). That win in 2020 got us to the AFC title game. Allen didn't do much that game.

Other than that, nothing. Allen has carried us in other post season victories. 

He didn't get the chance to choke away that game as Lamar didn't play in the 4th quarter.

McDermott sucks. It's plain as day to most fans. Unfortunately the one person who can do something about it doesn't know any better.

I think his first season was a showcase of brilliant coaching, minus the Peterman debacle. His defensive schemes were amazing, and this team won games they had no business winning. McD had players in the perfect position to make plays, particularly on defense. Eventually Josh Allen comes along, and that changes everything, unfortunately I don’t McD changed his philosophy enough to fit having an elite QB. Growth is crucial in all areas of life. McD seems like a great person, but I think he’s often too stubborn in his ways. 

• Agree 1

In the Lions Thanksgiving game we called a cover 0 blitz on 3rd down in a situation where we don't get the ball back if they convert. I'm not always a fan of a cover 0 late like that, but I agree, in that spot we had to force the issue. Which we did. Then we got the ball back and ran a full court press vs sitting on it. Allen connected on about a 40 yard rope and we walked it off. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bubba2018 said:

Uh...What are Billichecks.  What are Reids.  What are Sabans.  There are no best single moments in coaching.  Its establishing a culture, and many other things that cant boil down to a "coaching moment"

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.