Fangio OUT as DC in Miami

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Fangio is an excellent defensive mind.

Miami lost a lot of players on defense.

We killed them 48-20 when they were almost fully healthy, and the lone player missing, Jalen Ramsey, Josh abuses. He was NOT excellent.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

From what it sounds like he really didn't want to be there that much going to last year. Wanted Philly but they went with Desai. 

And judging from several player reactions he wasn't really liked by the players there either.

I could see that being an issue with the ***** ass candy ass head coach Mike McTwerp.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't actually think he did that great of a job this year. 

He did not do a great job but he is a proven coach and I think he has proven he is more successful than McDaniel has proven he's a good coach.

I guess I just have a feeling that McDaniel did this guy no favors.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We killed them 48-20 when they were almost fully healthy, and the lone player missing, Jalen Ramsey, Josh abuses. He was NOT excellent.

You seem to be under the impression that 1 game makes a coaching career.

Name a coach in NFL history that hasn’t been pummeled in a game numerous times.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That defense was injured all year. Plus everyone who plays in Miami is soft. I don’t know who better they are going to get for DC but that defense is loaded with talent. 

He literally would last 3 seconds on the job market. 

He’s a weenie but is a top 5 playcaller. 

Agree with you wholeheartedly..

It doesn't sound like Miami wanted him gone.  It sounds like it wanted to get onto the Eagles staff and Miami let him go.  

He's a good DC and Philly will be happy they got him to help turn thilngs around.  In Miami, whoever is the new guy will benefit from all the injured players on D returning.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Well, how about Sean McDermott, at least as a head coach.  I can't remember the last time the Bills got really shellacked.  

16 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Maybe he told McDaniel what he really thinks about him, lol.

Fangio:  "I will coach my defensive unit the way I see fit!  If you don't like that, I'll use you as a Q-Tip to clean my ears!"

McDaniel:  "Mr. Ross!  Mr. Grier!" 😭

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

Fangio has had a great career. He did not do a great job this year IMO. Some excuses, sure, but they went from 23rd in points against to 22nd. They improved in yards against but were horrible in the redzone. And that is a group with some talent. 

I don’t like this move for us.  Josh Allen has given Fangio fits to this point. I’m a little surprised that they moved on this quickly but I think that it was the right decision for Miami. If the Bills are the roadblock to achieving your goal, you need to find someone more capable of getting through that roadblock. 

Come to think of it…..🤔

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t like this move for us.  Josh Allen has given Fangio fits to this point. I’m a little surprised that they moved on this quickly but I think that it was the right decision for Miami. If the Bills are the roadblock to achieving your goal, you need to find someone more capable of getting passed that roadblock. 

Come to think of it…..🤔

I think it was his decision as much as theirs, but you are not wrong on the Fangio - Josh point. 

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

And Miami wants Staley.  

Who is a Fangio guy. So they are hoping to retain the scheme. Good news for us

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t like this move for us.  Josh Allen has given Fangio fits to this point. I’m a little surprised that they moved on this quickly but I think that it was the right decision for Miami. If the Bills are the roadblock to achieving your goal, you need to find someone more capable of getting through that roadblock. 

Come to think of it…..🤔

Florida Unemployment Office scene:

Clerk: "Reason for your employment ending?"

Fangio: "Josh Allen." ☹️

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it was his decision as much as theirs, but you are not wrong on the Fangio - Josh point. 

My immediate thought was that Fangio proved that his previous failures to slow down the Bills were not flukes but features of his system. Allen et al have moved the ball at will against his defenses, and there is only one real barrier to Miami in the AFC east right now: Buffalo.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

So that's your excuse, in the big games against winning teams it's OK to get pummeled, and THEN use injuries as an excuse on TOP of it later in the season when it gets worse?

He was NOT excellent THIS SEASON, long before the cascade of injuries, period.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

10 hours ago, Utah John said:

Well, how about Sean McDermott, at least as a head coach.  I can't remember the last time the Bills got really shellacked.  

Bills haven’t gotten blown out much since McDermott showed up. Even in 2018, when this roster was the worst I’d ever seen, they rarely get blown out. 

Colts in 2021, and Bengals in the playoffs are the only more than one score losses I can think of 

39 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bills haven’t gotten blown out much since McDermott showed up. Even in 2018, when this roster was the worst I’d ever seen, they rarely get blown out. 

Colts in 2021, and Bengals in the playoffs are the only more than one score losses I can think of 

The Chiefs blew out the Bills in the AFC championship back in 2020 season.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He did not do a great job this year IMO

Completely disagree and I'll show you why below.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

they went from 23rd in points against to 22nd. They improved in yards against but were horrible in the redzone. 

This is where having only a 17 game sample size can increase the odds that an outlier affects the data.

- The Dolphins defense held their opponent to 17 or less points, 7 times this season. We did it 6 times.

(Dolphins did this 5 times last year)

- They Dolphins defense held their opponent to 21 or less points, 12 times this season. We did it 9 times.

(Dolphins did this only 6 times last year).

The Dolphins DOUBLED the amount of games they held their opponent to 21 or less points this year, than they did last year. But they had 2 outlier games that skewed the small 17 game sample. A 56 point drubbing by Baltimore and 48 to us. The Dolphins gave up an average of 19 points in the other 15 games. That would skyrocket them to 6th in points allowed. So they were top 10 in points allowed for 15 of the 17 games and literally dead last in 2 of their games.

You may be thinking "well you could do that for any team", but you actually can't. Because not every team got drubbed in 2 games and played well in the rest of them. For example, take the Bills. Removing the Bills worst two defensive outings drops them only 1.9 points in average. But removing the Dolphins 2 horrible defensive outings brings them down FOUR average points. That's a ton. 

Summary: For the vast majority of the season, the Dolphins defense played much better than their aggregate statistics show and held teams to 21 or less points more times than we did, and twice as often as they did last season.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

WOW! He was the best part of this team. Back to the cellar where you belong, Miami

He helped the Dolphins defense improve from 24th overall, to 22nd overall

I will grant that Fangio dealt with significant injuries to major players on defense towards the end of the season.  But for contrast, the Bills dealt with significant injuries at all levels of defense starting Game 4, and the defense dropped from #2 to #4

• Haha (+1) 1

The very idea that TWO know-it-alls are pairing up in McDaniel and Staley is really, really funny to me... this may be the one move that gets McDaniel fired, along with sticking with Tua for a few more years. 

https://dolphinstalk.com/2024/01/ian-rapoport-names-brandon-staley-as-possible-replacement-for-fangio/

21 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

WOW! He was the best part of this team. Back to the cellar where you belong, Miami

What? lol Josh Allen destroys his defenses. Miami needs to find someone that can slow Buffalo down if they want to compete for the division sometimes this decade. That’s 2 automatic losses every season for them 

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He helped the Dolphins defense improve from 24th overall, to 22nd overall

I will grant that Fangio dealt with significant injuries to major players on defense towards the end of the season.  But for contrast, the Bills dealt with significant injuries at all levels of defense starting Game 4, and the defense dropped from #2 to #4

I remember at the start of this season, I saw a few people saying that Fangio’s success usually shows up in year two, because there are usually growing pains for players as they learn the system.

If true, it makes this move seem pretty dumb! But to be fair, the article I read when Fangio was fired seemed to think he really wanted the Philly job and basically asked for his release. If that’s true, tough luck for Miami. I wouldn’t force someone to coach for me if his heart wasn’t in it either, because I don’t think that could possibly lead to good results. 

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Completely disagree and I'll show you why below.

This is where having only a 17 game sample size can increase the odds that an outlier affects the data.

- The Dolphins defense held their opponent to 17 or less points, 7 times this season. We did it 6 times.

(Dolphins did this 5 times last year)

- They Dolphins defense held their opponent to 21 or less points, 12 times this season. We did it 9 times.

(Dolphins did this only 6 times last year).

The Dolphins DOUBLED the amount of games they held their opponent to 21 or less points this year, than they did last year. But they had 2 outlier games that skewed the small 17 game sample. A 56 point drubbing by Baltimore and 48 to us. The Dolphins gave up an average of 19 points in the other 15 games. That would skyrocket them to 6th in points allowed. So they were top 10 in points allowed for 15 of the 17 games and literally dead last in 2 of their games.

You may be thinking "well you could do that for any team", but you actually can't. Because not every team got drubbed in 2 games and played well in the rest of them. For example, take the Bills. Removing the Bills worst two defensive outings drops them only 1.9 points in average. But removing the Dolphins 2 horrible defensive outings brings them down FOUR average points. That's a ton. 

Summary: For the vast majority of the season, the Dolphins defense played much better than their aggregate statistics show and held teams to 21 or less points more times than we did, and twice as often as they did last season.

Yea, they didn't bring Fangio in to help them beat the bad teams. They were beating the bad teams with Josh Boyer's defense. Fangio was supposed to be a big upgrade. And he wasn't. With good talent they were still an average defense. 

2 minutes ago, Cash said:

I remember at the start of this season, I saw a few people saying that Fangio’s success usually shows up in year two, because there are usually growing pains for players as they learn the system.

If true, it makes this move seem pretty dumb! But to be fair, the article I read when Fangio was fired seemed to think he really wanted the Philly job and basically asked for his release. If that’s true, tough luck for Miami. I wouldn’t force someone to coach for me if his heart wasn’t in it either, because I don’t think that could possibly lead to good results. 

Yea that is fair that you normally see his results year 2. And I think Miami wanted to keep him.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Fangio was supposed to be a big upgrade. And he wasn't.

He was actually a huge upgade.

They gave up 21 or less points in DOUBLE the number of games than they did last year. That is a massive upgrade. 

They did it more often than we did as well.

4 minutes ago, Cash said:

the article I read when Fangio was fired seemed to think he really wanted the Philly job and basically asked for his release. If that’s true, tough luck for Miami. 

This makes the most sense to me.

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

What? lol Josh Allen destroys his defenses. Miami needs to find someone that can slow Buffalo down if they want to compete for the division sometimes this decade. That’s 2 automatic losses every season for them 

It's not just Josh Allen.  The Eagles, the Chiefs, and the Ravens all ate them for din-din, with an "honorary mention" to giving up 28 points to the Titans and taking the L. 

Fangio's D clamped down on teams like the Jets, Commanders, Giants, Raiders and Panthers

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.