Spags didn't think Josh could stay patient

beebe

Finally got a chance to rewatch the game. I am fairly certain this was by far the most passive defensive game plan that Spags has put together for the Chiefs vs Allen. In the 2020 AFC championship, he brought a bunch of pressure. He's done the same in many of the matchups afterward with a variety of creative and well-timed blitzes. This time, basically nothing. In 39 pass plays, the Chiefs barely ever pressured Allen and many times it was by design. D-Linemen were occasionally not even rushing and just trying to bat the ball down at the LOS. KC kept taking away the deep and intermediate routes and testing Josh's discipline to remain patient. 

Despite running just 44 plays (kneel downs not included), the Chiefs had eight 20+ yard plays.

In 78 plays, the Bills had zero. 

The game plan worked but was technically a failure. The Bills had three chances to hit on a deep ball but misfired on all of them. There was the Diggs pass deep downfield isolated on a safety. There was Shakir in the end zone. There was the throw downfield to Sherfield that was nearly caught. Catches on any of those three could have swung the game in Buffalo's favor. 

Obviously a loss is a loss, but Spags' apparent plan was to patiently wait for Josh to get impatient and hand them a game-altering turnover and he didn't give them one.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, beebe said:

Obviously a loss is a loss, but Spags' apparent plan was to patiently wait for Josh to get impatient and hand them a game-altering turnover and he didn't give them one.

He tried on the last drive by fumbling and then throwing that dropped pick.

It did seem on that last drive Josh lost some of that patience that was working so well all game.  If he just kept taking those checkdowns on that last sequence, they were still there to move the chains.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9

The deep plays were there for Josh and he was being patient. I counted 4 long passes. 3 were outright dropped by receivers (2 by Sherfield and 1 by Diggs) and the last one that Josh had Shakir in the endzone he didnt get enough on it. The Bills failed to make the plays that would have won them this game or at the very least put way more pressure on KC. KC got let off the hook on all 4 and as much of a genius as Spagnola seems to think he is (and others too) they had nothing to with him and everything to do with luck.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree, but there are a few every year that are hired and not HC material. And it would do us a big favor lol

i just couldn't do it. he doesn't fit the team.

Dick LeBeau, Marty Schottenheimer, The Ryans, Jim Schwartz, Spags... were never HC material.

I don't see the defensive coordinator mindset being ideal for HC. never really have unless they were a tremendously aggressive defensive head coach

• Dislike 3

41 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The deep plays were there for Josh and he was being patient. I counted 4 long passes. 3 were outright dropped by receivers (2 by Sherfield and 1 by Diggs) and the last one that Josh had Shakir in the endzone he didnt get enough on it. The Bills failed to make the plays that would have won them this game or at the very least put way more pressure on KC. KC got let off the hook on all 4 and as much of a genius as Spagnola seems to think he is (and others too) they had nothing to with him and everything to do with luck.

I was at the game and couldn't believe he missed the pass to Shakira, but then I rewatched it and see that he was able to step into it. Dawkins was pushed into him as he threw it. It was the right decision, Dawkins just needed to hold up for .01 seconds longer.

But the real problem of the game was that our Dline was once again a no show against KC.  And of course we need a new kicker. I think we all saw that coming.

Edited by Allen2Moulds
  • Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It did seem on that last drive Josh lost some of that patience that was working so well all game.  If he just kept taking those checkdowns on that last sequence, they were still there to move the chains.

I have to put some blame on the McDermott and crew there.  At the two-minute warning they should have been talking with Josh about the state of the game and the clock.  McDermott already showed us he was afraid to put his D back out on the field, so they should have been looking at getting first downs to run the clock.  It was too early to start chucking it in the end zone.  Josh should have been told to look for the underneath routes as the primary options on the next two plays.  They were open.

Edited by Murdox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

What dropped interception?

I remember McDuffie getting 1 hand on a throw, but he wasn't close to catching it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

Is there anyone seriously criticizing Joe Brady's gameplan and how Allen was executing it.   It was nearly flawless, there may have been a couple run calls that I would have dialed something in differently in the 4th quarter and in hindsight maybe Josh should have passed the ball to a crossing Diggs but it's less than a handful of plays and even so, Josh was looking to see if that play would develop to Shakir and it did and unfortunately Jones got just enough of Allen to not be able to throw that ball accurately to Shakir.  

Yes, you could argue that the situational awareness for Allen should have been to throw the immediate open guy in Diggs to run down the clock but he was looking to take the lead.  

Brady and Allen both were an A + and neither were the problem.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yes, you could argue that the situational awareness for Allen should have been to throw the immediate open guy in Diggs to run down the clock but he was looking to take the lead.  

Alternatively you could say that situational awareness for Brady should have been not leaving Chris Jones 1v1 on a designed shot play. It's weird that nobody even brings this up. Brady called a very good game. But those minor details that win championships are still lacking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

The one Sherfield drop was obvious PI that wasn't called. His right arm was being pinned by the corner.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Alternatively you could say that situational awareness for Brady should have been not leaving Chris Jones 1v1 on a designed shot play. It's weird that nobody even brings this up. Brady called a very good game. But those minor details that win championships are still lacking.

No question Jones should have been doubled up.

• Agree 3

34 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

But the real problem of the game was that our Dline was once again a no show against KC. 

O sack. And I think just 1 in the Pittsburgh game.  And with a LOUD crowd that certainly helped to make opposing OLinemen nervous and deaf.

Against KC, what was even worse than 0 sack, was getting gashed with the runs inside. LBs were decimated, but Klein is good against the run. Good enough that if the DLine did its job. they would have stopped a lot more.

As I keep saying: the last offensive drive had things clicking. Earlier in the season teams were blitzing Josh and it worked. This time we saw blitz beaters to Kincaid (that I had been pounding the table for) and they worked like a charm.

For the most part Josh was incredibly patient. It makes his sudden impatience to try to thread it to Shakir right after the two minute warning stand out even more to me, especially with Diggs open

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.