Spags didn't think Josh could stay patient

beebe

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's kind of an impossible needle to thread though. It's hard enough to score TDs against a great defense in the playoffs. Trying to do it with an exact amount of time left on the clock is not realistic.

The offense's only goal on that drive was to score a TD. If they did what they were supposed to and the defense ultimately loses the game as time run out then the axe will fall where it should.

If I would criticize one thing about that final series it's that we shouldn't have tried to get 9 yards on 3rd down. That's what the Chiefs are expecting. The plan should have been to pick up the easiest 6-7 yards possible and then go for it on 4th down.

But as I've said elsewhere the game wasn't really lost on that final drive. One team picked up 8.5 yards per play (excluding kneeldowns). The other team picked up 4.7 yards per play. That kind of yards per play discrepancy is almost impossible to overcome, and the only reason we even had a chance was because of several individual elite plays from Allen (and Shakir) and Mecole Hardman stupidly fumbling through the endzone. In every respect but the final score it was not a close game.

Holy revisionist history dude. We punted twice. Their offense was able to land some big plays, but our offense was methodical moving down the field all game. 

Sure if a couple plays went different the Chiefs win by 10. If a couple plays went different the Bills win by 10.

6 lead changes in the game and it “was not close?”

Come on.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I stand by running the clock was our best chance to win the game.  We took 3-5 yards every play all game- then abandoned it when we needed to stick to it. TD leaves Mahomes 1:40 with timeouts. Out d couldn’t stop them all day- not sure that would’ve changed.  It most likely would’ve been the worst ending possible.  Kelce beating AJ Klein to lose the game

This reads like satire.  The last time they met in the playoffs, Josh scored with 0:13 left.  Is he supposed to literally hit a buzzer beater TD?  If you have an open receiver for a 30 yard TD and a 4 point lead, you take it.  He made the right decision, but he failed to move even slightly into a wide open pocket.  Mahomes still may have scored, but that’s not on Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Don’t tell this to the people crying about throws behind LOS. 

The problem with what your saying is there many different ways to attack the defense they were playing not just passes behind the los . If it's that easy to take away passing games everyone would be doing it at the end of the day the Bills suck at making adjustments.

9 hours ago, Billl said:

This reads like satire.  The last time they met in the playoffs, Josh scored with 0:13 left.  Is he supposed to literally hit a buzzer beater TD?  If you have an open receiver for a 30 yard TD and a 4 point lead, you take it.  He made the right decision, but he failed to move even slightly into a wide open pocket.  Mahomes still may have scored, but that’s not on Josh.

No- but I maintain the game plan should have been to control the clock and ram the ball down your throats like we did all game.  Play the short game- possibly 4 down territory if it were 4th and short. We have great short yard playmakers i that was working for us.  Every deep shot ended up in a lost down. 

It’s not like what I’m talking about has never occurred before.  I’ve watched us do this on a handful occasions with Josh Allen under center. 

9 hours ago, Billl said:

IMO this is incontrovertible.

also, the diggs pass wasn't actually open like it looked like from the camera view from the right hand side of the field, the jones/dawkins mess was between him and diggs.  josh saw dawk on jones and early and just trusted his pro bowl lt to make the block, and he nearly did it just fell apart late.  imo josh made the absolute right call going with our best performing offensive player for a score.

i also felt like we went from being a joke on with the ghost of aj being a target on every snap (they face their what, 4th or 5th 3rd down on their penultimate drive?, we didn't even slow them down) to bodying up and making it mad hard with dorian williams being a relentless savage.  makes me think if we are up by 4, we legit have a shot at stopping a touchdown.

This is also the style we play when healthy at CB and LB. Take away deep plays force them to make the small throws on swing passes or slot routes.

Unfortunately our plan changed to don’t get hurt and try not to let them burn you. 

On 1/23/2024 at 8:57 AM, SWATeam said:

It did seem on that last drive Josh lost some of that patience that was working so well all game.  If he just kept taking those checkdowns on that last sequence, they were still there to move the chains.

THAT was the game!

After doing it so well, because of the hideous D, there was a totaldisconnect at the 2 minute Warning! Yet again, McClapper allowed the signals to get crossed at the most crucial ***** time of the game! 

At the 2:35 mark, Allen had to run the ball- not Cook.

On second down, McD and Allen had to get together at the 2MW to say… never, ever go for the kill shot. You are running or checking down for a few more to get that final first down!

So that, you score the winning TD with less than 30 ticks to go or at worst- unreliable Bass kicks from the 12 yard line to tie and go into OT.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.