2024 Salary Cap

TwistofFate

I'm not one to follow the Salary cap that much as it's something that never really interested me, but...Sportrac has us at -43 million dollars next year. This is one of the worst cap situations in the NFL, with only the Chargers and Saints being worse off. 

We are also the oldest roster in the NFL with an average age of 27.65 years old. 

We currently also are below the league average for players currently under contract, with only 46. (50.5) being the average. 

Allen, Diggs and Von make up 40.7% of our entire cap space.  Add in Dawkins and Tre, that makes up over 54%.

It looks like we are in real trouble cap wise next year. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by TwistofFate

I don’t even know if the wizard can get us out of this one. Even returning the exact same team next year would be a feat of epic proportions. Forget about adding even an above average player in free agency. 

I see the offseason as 

1. Restructure Allen

2. Cut Tre

3. Add new draft class

Will that be enough to get us over the hump? I doubt it. Von is a boat anchor of epic proportions to this team. 30 million in cap could do a ton of good if we didn’t have to eat it in a guy who can make one tackle in 6 games. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t even know if the wizard can get us out of this one. Even returning the exact same team next year would be a fear of epic proportions. Forget about adding even an above average player in free agency. 

I see the offseason as 

1. Restructure Allen

2. Cut Tre

3. Add new draft class

Will that be enough to get us over the hump? I doubt it. Von is a boat anchor of epic proportions to this team. 30 million in cap could do a ton of good if we didn’t have to eat it in a guy who can make one tackle in 6 games. 

Tre made 16 million dollars this year. It looks like cutting him would save 6 million. He's due 16 million with 10 million in dead cap. 

27 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Tre made 16 million dollars this year. It looks like cutting him would save 6 million. He's due 16 million with 10 million in dead cap. 

we save ten million with only a 6 million dead cap if he is deemed a post june 1st cut

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know enough about the cap to understand if Diggs plus a pick for Lamb at some point could work?

Both players relationships with their current team/qb seem strained. 

38 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I'm not one to follow the Salary cap that much as it's something that never really interested me, but...Sportrac has us at -43 million dollars next year. This is one of the worst cap situations in the NFL, with only the Chargers and Saints being worse off. 

We are also the oldest roster in the NFL with an average age of 27.65 years old. 

We currently also are below the league average for players currently under contract, with only 46. (50.5) being the average. 

Allen, Diggs and Von make up 40.7% of our entire cap space.  Add in Dawkins and Tre, that makes up over 54%.

It looks like we are in real trouble cap wise next year. 

Thoughts? 

We likely restructure some of the higher paid guys we want to keep and make some tough cuts and june 1st cuts to clear some cap as well. Tre White, Hines, Harty, Bates, Poyer.

Also see some guys like Morse, douglas, and Dawkins who are on their final contract years who could extend / add on to their contracts for lesser dollar figures this year. 

Plenty of ways to create cap, and sign good players to fill roster holes. 

"Remember Michael there's always money in the banana stand"

Tre is going to have to go. It's sad, but we can't be on the hook for what he's scheduled to cost on the cap for the next two seasons in the condition he's in. 

Deonte Harty, Connor McGovern, Ryan Bates, Tre'Davious White, Jordan Poyer, and Sam Martin all have outs in their contracts this offseason that can save cap space. A large number of them will be moved on from or take massive cuts in pay to stay.

Restructures of Josh, Von, and others will make up for most of the rest to get us under. An extension for Douglas will also save us cap.

But with 22 FA's, we're still going to have to go out and sign a lot of bodies - even with having 9 Draft Picks at our disposal. So it's going to have to be another year of smart shopping. 

Luckily, we have the core of our team under contract. Josh, Cook, Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, the entire OL, Rousseau, Oliver, Milano, Bernard, Douglas, Benford, and Johnson are all safe.

The big moves will be needing to find a #2 to replace Davis, a DE opposite Rousseau (hopefully there's another logjam where we can get Floyd back or a Floyd like player), a DT opposite Oliver (hopefully Daquan will work with us), and at least 1 Safety, if not both.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think anything that happens with Diggs depends on Diggs. 

But this shows how flexible the cap is.

Unless Diggs retires, nothing is happening with Diggs.  Trading or cutting Diggs is untenable as far as our CAP goes.  Next offseason seems to be our first window for that.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know enough about the cap to understand if Diggs plus a pick for Lamb at some point could work?

Both players relationships with their current team/qb seem strained. 

Currently Diggs active cap hit for 2024 is 27.9mm

Below are the possible scenarios for trading/cutting him:

PRE-6/1 RELEASE

2024 Dead Cap: $31,096,000

2024 Cap Savings: $-3,242,000

PRE-6/1 TRADE 2024

POST-6/1 RELEASE

2024 Dead Cap: $8,849,000

2025 Dead Cap: $22,247,000

2024 Cap Savings: $19,005,000

POST-6/1 TRADE

As you can see only the post June 1st options are viable. Even then, that's going to be quite the dead cap hit in 2025. 

@DrDawkinstein Did the following work to summarize the Tompsett vid:

"As a little preview, the detailed plan to get to $72M...

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Being $29M OVER cap right now, these moves alone put us $19M UNDER.

Tompsett's Preferred/Likely Moves - Cap Savings

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Restructure McGovern - $3M

With these moves added to the above, the Bills would be $44M UNDER

Painful but Possible - Cap Savings

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Milano - $2.5M

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

I type all that to once again reiterate, the cap is a myth."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Currently Diggs active cap hit for 2024 is 27.9mm

Below are the possible scenarios for trading/cutting him:

PRE-6/1 RELEASE

PRE-6/1 TRADE 2024

POST-6/1 RELEASE

POST-6/1 TRADE

As you can see only the post June 1st options are viable. Even then, that's going to be quite the dead cap hit in 2025. 

There’s going to be dead cap with Diggs at some point. Last year it cost us cap to move him or release him. This year we save cap.

Dead cap is the ultimate no no but to me it’s about can he be replaced. The Diggs we saw the last couple months can be replaced. You also don’t want to wait too long to trade Diggs if it’s possible. 

I think it truly depends on Diggs. Take the June 1 date. June 1 last year the talk was loud surrounding Diggs. He had zero communication with the Bills and skipped all OTAs. 

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

Thank you. I don't think his numbers are perfect but the upshot remains. It is relatively easy to get under the cap. We can probably retain some departing FA. But we will not be heavy bidders without consequence 

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

Poyer is probably returning and I’m ok with that.  

I’d add Gilliam to the cut list.  I can’t imagine a reason to keep him on the roster for 2.2 million.  Cutting him saves 1.9 million.  In the video he mentions restructuring Morse.  You can just as easily extend him another year.  Honestly his play has warranted keeping him beyond next season.  

I add also advise not playing with the June 1 bull.  All that does is add cap hit to 2025 for players you no longer have.  I also agree with his 3 extensions.

This year should be a “rip the Bandaid” one, but I don’t know that McBeane have the job security to do it.  They could eat all the bad contracts, suck for a season, and emerge with a high draft pick plus cap space.  They won’t, but they should.

I couldn’t care less about having enough money to sign FAs, let alone big splashes. When has heavy spending during FA ever lead to a Super Bowl win? Maybe as “add ons” to get you over the hump, but if we’re signing Big Names to be our core, we’re in trouble. 

Maybe replace Morse - BUT I LOVED where our line was going this year.

beane did such a great job with McGovern and Torrence pick and pick ups.  Thought those guys were great and if they can stick together could be a SOLID unit 

Edited by Drew21PA

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.