Bills Draft Rd 1 - Pick 28

boyst

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly I’m not sure I trust this staff to scout wide receivers.

It's a good question as to what their "type" is. Their two highest draft picks at the position - Gabe and Khalil are polar opposites and Stef isn't really like either of them. I get wanting to build a diverse room but I don't have a strong sense as to what they will be looking for. We know some of the guys they have passed on... and we have very strong evidence to suggest they loved Addison last year... but I don't know that I can discount or enhance the claims of particular players at the position as Bills fits in the way I can with some other teams. 

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't like Johnston much either. I don't think Coleman even has Johnston's speed, but I see similarities in that for bigger targets they both seem to struggle above the rim and play smaller than their size as a result. 

If we haven't taken a receiver round 1 and Coleman is there end of round 2 for us I could live with it. But I think you'd be re-drafting Gabe Davis tbh but with a 2nd round price tag rather than a 4th round price tag. Definitely not my preferred option. 

Seems like all the draft media people have Coleman much higher than people like you and I do. He’s probably the guy I’m most skeptical of among the WRs for all the reasons you mentioned. I think literally 50% of his targets this season were contested and he wasn’t particularly good at bringing them in. He has a couple freakishly good catches on film that seem to have won the media over but the full film and numbers do not match that at all. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Seems like all the draft media people have Coleman much higher than people like you and I do. He’s probably the guy I’m most skeptical of among the WRs for all the reasons you mentioned. I think literally 50% of his targets this season were contested and he wasn’t particularly good at bringing them in. He has a couple freakishly good catches on film that seem to have won the media over but the full film and numbers do not match that at all. 

Yea. I get it because I liked him just watching a couple of Florida State games this year. But the more you really dig into him the more red flags there are. I think he will be a faller in the process. I definitely don't think he ends up going round 1. I think the Thomas, Legette, Franklin tier will rise. They are all going to test well I think and honestly I think all of their tape has more to get excited about when you think of NFL transition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They don't. That's my hope.

They need to use some of those 10 picks they have gathered up to move WAYYY up the board for a WR...or use that 1st to trade for an impact player. 

I’d like to see them land some impact guys, no matter where, haven’t gotten on since Allen.  Kincaid looks like he will be, but I can’t give a guy that they only throw the ball to within 5 yards an impact guy yet (yes that’s a slight hyperbole, but you know what I mean).

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

For everyone wanting a WR - statistics say round # 1 picks are a coin flip relative to productivity in year #1.  

If you remove overhyped Bama receivers from that equation your chances for success go way up.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I wouldn’t mind a WR at pick 28, but this team has way too many other holes to fill to be trading picks and trying to move up much.  This team needs to get younger, faster and cheaper.  Draft picks are the only way to do that.

The consistent top level teams somehow always have a guy drop right to them in their position of need, and to a disgusting degree if that team is Baltimore for some reason (Flowers, Madubuike, Likely, Hamilton, Linderbaum, Oweh, Dobbins, etc etc)

Edit: Oh right. Lamar.

Edited by Ralonzo

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It's a good question as to what their "type" is. Their two highest draft picks at the position - Gabe and Khalil are polar opposites and Stef isn't really like either of them. I get wanting to build a diverse room but I don't have a strong sense as to what they will be looking for. We know some of the guys they have passed on... and we have very strong evidence to suggest they loved Addison last year... but I don't know that I can discount or enhance the claims of particular players at the position as Bills fits in the way I can with some other teams. 

And I’m including the pro personnel side as well.  Sherfield, Harty, Isabella this year.  Before that you’ve got Sanders’ corpse, Brown’s corpse, Beasley’s corpse, Crowder. I mean wtf are these evaluators looking at?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Since Beane and McDermott began to control our drafts [2018] we have drafted 45 players. 21 are currently on our roster, 2 on IR, 15 on other teams rosters, and 7 are either street free agents or out of football.

Notable Bills draft choices on other teams rosters include:

2018    6    187    Ray Ray McCloud - SF
2018    1    16    Tremaine Edmunds - CHI
2018    5    166    Wyatt Teller - CLE
2018    3    96    Harrison Phillips - MIN
2019    2    38    Cody Ford - CIN
2019    3    74    Devin Singletary - HOU
2020    3    86    Zack Moss - IND
2020    6    207    Isaiah Hodgins - NYG

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This team needs to add an impact WR and another reliable WR

Diggs - we'll see?
Round 1
Shakir
Round 2-3 
Veteran UFA 

Agreed and at least one has to have elite speed, and [hopefully] be able to catch the ball.  We are playing in a conference with Tyreek, Waddle, Chase, Higgins, etc.  Our QB arguably has the best arm in the league, but we don't have the weapons to use it to strike fear into DC's.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly I’m not sure I trust this staff to scout wide receivers.

Factoid: the highest round the Bills have drafted a WR in during the McDermott tenure (both Whaley and Beane) was Gabe Davis in the 4th round.

I think they can get someone competent in round 1 or 2

13 hours ago, wppete said:

Whatever they do we need to come out of the draft with 3-4 solid starters. 

That's one of the good things about Beane, he will find 3-4 starters in this draft.  In fact, we can expect that and factor into our roster assumptions moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane averages 4 players from his drafts that hit our rosters each season.  If we look at positions where I could see drafted talent supplanting FAs, I look at WR, DL, Safety, QB, Corner.

I suspect Beane will hit 3 of the 5 areas in this draft, so talent should carry forward.  Obviously we would be going with a QB in the first 4 rounds\, and Corner is likely down the list as well.  But for the first 3 rounds, I expect WR/DL/Safety/X-Factor player

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.