Fake punt!?

1 hour ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Unfortunately you have to punt it in that situation but our punter was also 50% out there which is another head scratcher. Guy shanking punts left and right 

Why do you have to punt on 4th and 5?  At half field it's almost a guarantee you stay out and go for it, but 20 yards back it isn't an option?  I agree that we needed to keep the ball, but there is no way a called fake punt (versus an audible based on coverage) is a better option than just keeping Josh out on the field.      

10 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Maybe the worst call I’ve ever seen. You can’t tell me that McD’s personal beliefs weren’t involved with giving that play the OK. That alone was a fireable play 

Here we go !! The call was made because the Chiefs had 10 guys on the field and probably 8 out of 10 HC's in the league would have done the same thing .

If it worked they would have been a genius but because it didn't well here we are once again ... 🙄

10 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I dont mind it as a call. But Damar Hamlin getting the ball?

10 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Yeah that was dumb. You have Josh on the team but you give it to Hamlin. Should have just punted anyways. 

Ahhhh, but put on your "more money" NFL hat for a moment.  If that play had worked, to Hamlin in particular, and the Bills went on to win, just imagine the feel good stories that we would be reading today.  I have no way of knowing if that was thought about pre game, or even at the heat of the moment. But why in the world else do you get it to Hamlin with that game on the line.

36 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Ahhhh, but put on your "more money" NFL hat for a moment.  If that play had worked, to Hamlin in particular, and the Bills went on to win, just imagine the feel good stories that we would be reading today.  I have no way of knowing if that was thought about pre game, or even at the heat of the moment. But why in the world else do you get it to Hamlin with that game on the line.

Yeah it really does seem like what you're saying

2 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

One has to wonder how bad Haack looked for them to choose to go with Martin.

certainly couldn’t have gone with araiza- he had no experience shanking kicks in the playoffs 

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

Some people will never be happy.  

Our D couldn’t stop them at all.  So he goes for it on 4th down.  Which is what this board has been begging for for years.  

Agreed. Martin was hobbled. The defense was broken and beaten. 

My biggest issue was taking Allen of the field. If we’re going to go for it put it in the hands of your best player. Line up and make them stop Josh Allen.

The irony of how McDermott harped ALL SEASON about Josh's turnovers and "complementary football," and then he basically walks up to the roulette wheel and puts it all on 00.

So hypocritical for a guy to criticize poor decisionmaking, then watch your QB make just about every right decision for weeks on end, and then you pull that.

But hey, at least he knows how to clap before shaking Andy Reid's hand while wishing him luck in the Championship Game.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

It wasn't as if the Bills were going to be able to stop Mahomes and the Chiefs.  He probably figured they had to score to keep up.  

And our punter was capable of maybe moving the ball 30 yards assuming no return.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

And our punter was capable of maybe moving the ball 30 yards assuming no return.

Townsend did punt. The defense did force a turnover. Yes if you run the %'s for 8 or 9 drives the rate sucks...but if you were to consider that maybe KC would be 50% success rate on the night against the defense, it may have been the drive where Hochuli pulled his head out of his a** and called Humphrey or Thuney for their incessant holding.

1 hour ago, T master said:

Here we go !! The call was made because the Chiefs had 10 guys on the field and probably 8 out of 10 HC's in the league would have done the same thing .

If it worked they would have been a genius but because it didn't well here we are once again ... 🙄

No it wasn’t. It was a called play 

The fake punt was so dumb I actually LOL'd in my family room watching it.  I can see a 4th and 1, maybe?  But he had so far to run.  It's almost like McD or whoever called it wanted to create a Damar Hamlin moment to show on the ESPY's as the Bills use the fake punt to win the game and go on to win the SB.

I hated it, and was so happy that we got the touchback and didn't have to point to that play as the reason we lost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I much dumber call was the FG.  You basically forfeited with that decisions.

Bass misses that 9/10 times.

Even if he makes it, KC easily scores to go ahead again

Even if we get lucky twice, its still only a tie, and KC easily scores in OT.

So yea, that 4th and 9 FG was basically the Bills forfeiting the game and the only real coaching blunder from last night. 

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The fake punt was so dumb I actually LOL'd in my family room watching it.  I can see a 4th and 1, maybe?  But he had so far to run.  It's almost like McD or whoever called it wanted to create a Damar Hamlin moment to show on the ESPY's as the Bills use the fake punt to win the game and go on to win the SB.

I hated it, and was so happy that we got the touchback and didn't have to point to that play as the reason we lost.

It was crazy to go for it, but if you are going to do that at least go down swinging and put the ball in Allen's hands. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.