The Three Plays that Cost us the Game

VaMilBill

Just this weekend alone:

Detroit marches down the field late and scores. They weren’t purposely killing any clock. Bucs get the ball back with 1:30 and the Detroit defense stuffs them and gets an int. Game over.

49ers march down the field and score late. They also weren’t killing all of the clock. Packers get the ball back and SF defense stuffs them and gets an int. Game over.

Both teams playing at home in the playoffs.

Why can’t McD(defensive guru) do what every other playoff team can do?

Edited by Governor

3 hours ago, chongli said:

This view tells me three things

1. Diggs wasn't the 1st option as he could of gunned it to him as he came through the 1st hole.

2. He was hit and impeded on is throw just enough to make it fall short on Shakir who had come open like Allen had read

3. While Diggs, later on, was still open, that throw would of required him to put the ball over Dawkins + the DE while also not hitting the LG and the DT which would of been in his direct path. All this while not exactly being able to step up to throw and seeing 2 Chiefs in and around Diggs. (Essentially his throw would of had to been a floater which means the LB or Nickel 7 yards up field would have Diggs dead to rights potentially)

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

How hard is this? If he hadn't been hit, it's a TD.  He also hit Diggs in the hands on a deep ball that Diggs dropped.

Yeah but this is the irony, the first Bills playoff exit against the Chiefs was because they were one-dimensional. They couldn't run the ball, KC stayed in shell defense. They weren't a ton better running in the 13-seconds game but Allen was a damn juggernaut and they hit deep shots (and they had open receivers!!!)

The Bills lost this game because they were one-dimensional. Except this time, it was the running game that was their one dimension. The jumbo set was unstoppable all game until KC stacked the box, making themself vulnerable to getting beat over the top - the Bills were looking for that. The 3 shots they did take were all there, they were executed on all levels by everyone but the receiver. Maybe with Davis (or a legit #2) they hit one. Maybe hitting one, they win the game.

7 hours ago, chongli said:

Still woulda concussed your quarterback, Alex Soros

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't love the James Cook run on 1st down that led to the 2 minute warning. The chiefs had stopped that play a few times. And at that point the ball stays in Josh's hands for the rest of the game for me. 

I also think we didn't use Kincaid enough 

8 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

That crossing route hurt, Diggs was wide open. 

Honestly what are people looking at here? Diggs came open late, Allen would have to throw across his body toward the left sideline to a WR running away from him.  I couldn’t tell if there was a defender over there )off screen) who could have disrupted the play. 

meanwhile Shakir was wide freaking open in the end zone. 

I get the idea of not wanting to score so fast but come on guys, this play is not worth discussing from last night.

• Thank you (+1) 1

the 3 plays that killed us were only 2

throwing into the endzone with 150 left in the game which is inexplicable given the context of the rest of the entire game and the execution.

the bills literally threw the game into the turf.  i guess he could've gone full adam sandler and threw the picks but that couldn't have been scripted much worse.  diggs wide open and ja17 looked RIGHT AT HIM, then he had 2 guys on 3rd down and threw that into the crumb rubber.

WWE.

12 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

the 3 plays that killed us were only 2

throwing into the endzone with 150 left in the game which is inexplicable given the context of the rest of the entire game and the execution.

the bills literally threw the game into the turf.  i guess he could've gone full adam sandler and threw the picks but that couldn't have been scripted much worse.  diggs wide open and ja17 looked RIGHT AT HIM, then he had 2 guys on 3rd down and threw that into the crumb rubber.

WWE.

I expected after the 2 minute warning they were going to play for a game winning TD while burning down the clock as close to zero as possible.  Sure you can't expect to script things out perfectly in a game like this but that was the winning move.  With all the injuries and big chunk plays the defense was giving up I didn't want to see them on the field again last night.  But as is typical, things went off the rails on 2nd and 3rd down passes and Bass missed the FG on 4th down.  Given all the last minute heartbreaks is there anyone here that didn't think Bass was going to miss?  I sure did.  But for me it didn't make any difference.  Giving the Chiefs the ball with about 1:45 left and a couple time outs was more than enough to get them into FG range and their kicker is usually money.  If the Bills didn't lose 27-24 they would have lost 30-27.    

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

25 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Yeah but this is the irony, the first Bills playoff exit against the Chiefs was because they were one-dimensional. They couldn't run the ball, KC stayed in shell defense. They weren't a ton better running in the 13-seconds game but Allen was a damn juggernaut and they hit deep shots (and they had open receivers!!!)

The Bills lost this game because they were one-dimensional. Except this time, it was the running game that was their one dimension. The jumbo set was unstoppable all game until KC stacked the box, making themself vulnerable to getting beat over the top - the Bills were looking for that. The 3 shots they did take were all there, they were executed on all levels by everyone but the receiver. Maybe with Davis (or a legit #2) they hit one. Maybe hitting one, they win the game.

Still woulda concussed your quarterback, Alex Soros

And that’s it…. Every team in the league has WRs that can catch those passes, the Bills do not.  Heck even that MVS dude with KC made an awesome over the shoulder catch downfield while being blanketed by Taron… and all I’ve heard about that dude is how bad he sucks.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

I still can't believe this. Consider the 4th Q alone:

• KC fumbles thru the end zone, turnover
  • KC drops a pick 6
  • KC fails to jump on an Allen fumble
  • Diggs, the diva, drops a bomb
  • Allen misses a wide open Shakir
  • FG no good

We all wanted KC at home. Yikes, KC simply has the Bills' number, it's a shame. 

I don't know if you guys watched the post game- Boomer Esiason spewed out some insane stats. KC only ran 47 plays the whole game, 4 were kneel downs, and they scored 27 points. Crazy.

Bills offense  7.2 yards per pass   4.7 yards per rush

Chiefs   offense  12.6 yards per pass  7.2 yards per rush.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I think my comment is pretty fair. The Shakir pass was obviously not a sure thing and Josh did get pushed from behind. I think the motion with Diggs made it obvious he should have been the go-to guy cause he was wide open from the snap. Take the sure play. 

Oh so because he didn’t go to Diggs, who’s been invisible and underachieving, Josh can never get us over the hump. That’s the imbecilic statement made.

16 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Bills offense  7.2 yards per pass   4.7 yards per rush

Chiefs   offense  12.6 yards per pass  7.2 yards per rush.

Bills did a good job playing "keep away," had the ball for 37 minutes. Sounds like a real good formula, turns out wrong again.

Hate to say it, KC simply is better & more clutch.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.