Shootout not required (first to 10 points wins)

FireChans

While everyone is talking about Mahomes vs Allen and the shootout potential of this game based on previous matchups, I went back and crunched the numbers.

The 2023 Bills are 11-2 when they reach double digit points before their opponent. With their two losses being the Jets meltdown which they should have won, and their Eagles shootout that was a play or two away from being a W.

Conversely, the Bills are 1-4 when the opposing team gets to double digits before they do, the one win being the second Dolphins game that was marred by self-inflicted wounds in the first half.

The 2023 Chiefs are 8-2 in games where they reach double digit points before their opponent. They are 3-4 in games they do not (not including the Chargers-Chiefs backup fest.)

So what does this tell us? Shootout or not, neither team has been great as the “answerer” to the fast start by an opponent.

I want the offense to get points every possession, obviously. But that’s not realistic. What’s realistic is come out swinging, get a fast lead, and then hold on. That’s when the Bills especially are at their best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

You crunched the numbers and this is the epiphany you came back with, get a fast lead and hold on?

Yep. This ain’t the same old Chiefs.

Historically, Mahomes had a pretty good winning record when down double digits. That’s no longer the case.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You crunched the numbers and this is the epiphany you came back with, get a fast lead and hold on?

There's no denying it.  The stats don't lie.  It's better to be winning during the game than losing.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

While everyone is talking about Mahomes vs Allen and the shootout potential of this game based on previous matchups, I went back and crunched the numbers.

The 2023 Bills are 11-2 when they reach double digit points before their opponent. With their two losses being the Jets meltdown which they should have won, and their Eagles shootout that was a play or two away from being a W.

Conversely, the Bills are 1-4 when the opposing team gets to double digits before they do, the one win being the second Dolphins game that was marred by self-inflicted wounds in the first half.

The 2023 Chiefs are 8-2 in games where they reach double digit points before their opponent. They are 3-4 in games they do not (not including the Chargers-Chiefs backup fest.)

So what does this tell us? Shootout or not, neither team has been great as the “answerer” to the fast start by an opponent.

I want the offense to get points every possession, obviously. But that’s not realistic. What’s realistic is come out swinging, get a fast lead, and then hold on. That’s when the Bills especially are at their best.

That's not true. The Chargers were up 10-0 and lost to the Bills.

There's lies, damn lies, and statistics.  Churchill knew what in advance that TBD'ers with too much time on their hands would get to this point...and have for years.  (Correction - not Churchill, but perhaps former British PM Benjamin Disraeli or Mark Twain...who knows?)

Edited by BillsVet

I had a high school hockey coach that would always say heading into the third period with a lead

“Hey guys if we win this period we will win the game.”

He said it with such enthusiasm each and every time.    

The athletic director was quoted saying about him “He lacked for so MANY things it was hard to find him at fault for any results”

1 minute ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I had a high school hockey coach that would always say heading into the third period with a lead

“Hey guys if we win this period we will win the game.”

He said it with such enthusiasm each and every time.    

The athletic director was quoted saying about him “He lacked for so MANY things it was hard to find him at fault for any results”

Your coach sounds like a very smart man. Let’s hope McD and Brady can prove his equal.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Hold the Chiefs to less than 20, as they have a 5-8 record with Patrick Mahomes when scoring <20 points all-time.

Most of those games have come this year.

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

It's kind of a secret in the NFL that if the game ends and you have more points that you win the game.

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Do you just log in and ask “what opening post can I criticize without a comment” and then just wait?  I, for one, am grateful for work, thought, and an insight.  

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He might be on to something here... that 9-0 lead in 2020 wasn't enough. If only it had been 10. 

17 hours ago, Neo said:

Do you just log in and ask “what opening post can I criticize without a comment” and then just wait?  I, for one, am grateful for work, thought, and an insight.  

yes that is exactly what I do.

Seems like your post is doing exactly what you are alleging i am doing.  Go figure!

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

yes that is exactly what I do.

Seems like your post is doing exactly what you are alleging i am doing.  Go figure!

You know, you’re right.   Except for the sentence referring to opening posts and the sentence acknowledging insight and expressing gratitude.  Otherwise, they’re identical.  Guilty as charged.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Neo said:

You know, you’re right.   Except for the sentence referring to opening posts and the sentence acknowledging insight and expressing gratitude.  Otherwise, they’re identical.  Guilty as charged.   

I will admit my comment was not very value added and a bit snippy as Firechans is regularly a good poster.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.