The “Refuse to lose” mentality is special

zow2

Over the last 5 games this team has gotten behind early, they’ve lost the turnover battle a few times, things aren’t always clicking yet they just refuse to lose.

These are the qualities i admired from the Brady/Belichek teams and Mahomes/Reid. 

We’re seeing it this season with the Bills. Let’s Gooo. just seize the moment.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Over the last 5 games this team has gotten behind early, they’ve lost the turnover battle a few times, things aren’t always clicking yet they just refuse to lose.

These are the qualities i admired from the Brady/Belichek teams and Mahomes/Reid. 

We’re seeing it this season with the Bills. Let’s Gooo. just seize the moment.

While I agree that McDermott's treasured "resiliency" is admirable, the Brady/Belichick and Mahomes/Reid on-field products were/are (for the most part) much more disciplined and better-executed. No way were they overcoming so many self-inflicted setbacks.

I love the way McDermott's teams, highlighted this season (and 2021 specifically), have performed under adversity and caught their strides when it matters most. However, I HATE the way McDermott's teams, highlighted this season, have performed as favorites and faltered when it seemingly doesn't matter much early and midseason. 

The admirable character this team has shown is in part a direct response to the regrettable yips they've also shown. 

• Like (+1) 3

The Bills never-die attitude is a direct function of their quarterback.

Josh Allen is one of the rare quarterbacks with the true warrior mentality. He will never give up and if he loses, he goes down swinging. Lots of quarterbacks are glamour boys... not ours.

Can you imagine being a Jaguars fan and seeing your team lose 5 of their last 6 with Trevor Lawrence throwing 3 straight incompletions to end the season?

It seemed like Lawrence was so uncomfortable to even have the ball in his hands that he had to throw it away... like it was a potato too hot to handle. Justin Herbert is also as talented as Josh but you can see that he too falls short when it comes to being a warrior.

Josh has his shortcomings as a quarterback but those shortcomings will never change the way I feel about him being OUR QUARTERBACK. There's NO ONE I would rather quarterback the Buffalo Bills than Josh Allen. His character and temperament are the stuff of champions, whether or not he ever wins one.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

For 20 years we watched as New England won a lot of games. Some were blowouts. Most were boring, grind it out games. The best teams deliver in the clutch. We are seeing when the game is close our team finds a way to win. The only thing that matters is winning. 

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

While I agree that McDermott's treasured "resiliency" is admirable, the Brady/Belichick and Mahomes/Reid on-field products were/are (for the most part) much more disciplined and better-executed. No way were they overcoming so many self-inflicted setbacks.

I love the way McDermott's teams, highlighted this season (and 2021 specifically), have performed under adversity and caught their strides when it matters most. However, I HATE the way McDermott's teams, highlighted this season, have performed as favorites and faltered when it seemingly doesn't matter much early and midseason. 

The admirable character this team has shown is in part a direct response to the regrettable yips they've also shown. 

Agreed. Those Belichick teams were known for NEVER beating themselves. They’d wait for you to make a mistake. The Bills have too many self inflicted errors to be mentioned in the same breath. Both franchises were/are resilient, yes, but we’ve gotta stop making it more difficult on ourselves. Just play clean football, even if it’s boring.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The Bills never-die attitude is a direct function of their quarterback.

Josh Allen is one of the rare quarterbacks with the true warrior mentality. He will never give up and if he loses, he goes down swinging. Lots of quarterbacks are glamour boys... not ours.

Can you imagine being a Jaguars fan and seeing your team lose 5 of their last 6 with Trevor Lawrence throwing 3 straight incompletions to end the season?

It seemed like Lawrence was so uncomfortable to even have the ball in his hands that he had to throw it away... like it was a potato too hot to handle. Justin Herbert is also as talented as Josh but you can see that he too falls short when it comes to being a warrior.

Josh has his shortcomings as a quarterback but those shortcomings will never change the way I feel about him being OUR QUARTERBACK. There's NO ONE I would rather quarterback the Buffalo Bills than Josh Allen. His character and temperament are the stuff of champions, whether or not he ever wins one.

Agreed in large part here.

As for the bolded, Lawrence was all kinds of banged up, to be fair. Which, awesomely, also highlights OUR QB's most underrated quality: the dude just keeps playing no matter what injuries (often to his throwing arm) he's battling. His toughness, availability, guts, and accountability are ELITE.

We've watched other QBs with the same injuries absolutely wilt (recall Allen wearing that effing LB shoulder brace and never missing a game and still gutting out a winning season, whereas 2017's #1 overall pick, Baker Mayfield, suffered the exact same injury and could NOT play the position effectively thereafter (despite trying his best - gutsy guy)).

If Allen played baseball he probably would have gotten Tommy John surgery last season and missed 12-18 months. Or then again, maybe he wouldn't have? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh Allen is the Buffalo Bills across their history, personified: Relentless.

Whether Jim Kelly compared to Bobby Layne, who never lost a game but only ran out of time---- or Marv Levy reciting the Scottish poem about Sir Andrew:

"Fight on, my men,

I am hurt, but I am not slain;
I'll lay me down and bleed a while,
And then I'll rise and fight again."

When he's gone, we'll all wish we appreciated him more. He's a gift.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This year, five of the Bills’ six losses were to teams that did not qualify for the postseason, but they were 5-1 against playoff teams (with the loss in overtime to the Eagles where they were one 60 yard kick in the rain away from making it 6-0). When their best was mandated, they played their best.’

• Like (+1) 3

The Bills have always been the better team when they are the underdogs and none of the "Experts" pick them or think they are toast & that's when the Bills seem to always play better . I don't know if it's because of our past or what but this year has played out to the Bills comfort zone thinking they were done . 

I hope they can keep it going all the way GO BILLS !!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, T master said:

The Bills have always been the better team when they are the underdogs and none of the "Experts" pick them or think they are toast & that's when the Bills seem to always play better . I don't know if it's because of our past or what but this year has played out to the Bills comfort zone thinking they were done . 

I hope they can keep it going all the way GO BILLS !!!! 

Don’t look now but the Bills are a 10 point favorite on Sunday.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

the Brady/Belichick and Mahomes/Reid on-field products were/are (for the most part) much more disciplined and better-executed.

I get what you are saying here.  However, the Bills and Allen have a history of playing better in the post season to date when it comes to turnovers.   Josh's TD/INT ratio is much better in post season than regular season, Brady's is actually worse.  He had 88 TD's and 40 INT's in the post season but they found a way to win.  The worst I can really judge McDermott in the postseason is the 13 seconds debacle which was a coaching problem.  Possibly you can judge some decisions in the AFCCG the year before also when it came to 4th downs.  

The Bills have a lot of playoff experiences to lean on coming in to this.  They have last year's Cincinnati debacle when clearly they were not mentally prepared to play that game at the intensity required, nor was the defense remotely prepared. 

They have the 13 seconds game of course, but they also have the Patriots perfect game.  That's the preparation they should be having coming in to this.

True but Josh's heroics also covers up a lot of poor play. They wouldn't be in those situations if they would execute. I don't remember Tom Brady needing to run through 5 guys to get a 3rd and 13. It's nice to have that ability but it would be better and more consistent to do it the good old fashioned easy way.

Edited by KDIGGZ

💯 agree. Love that player!

Media will never accept his greatness and determination without adding ...but the turnovers... because that's the narrative.

I will excitedly take his 1 passing/ 1 rushing TD per game along with 1 INT. Wouldn't even question the INT if game ends in a W.

Jets game - bad game. That's on Josh. It happens but not often.

Every game he gives Bills a chance to win and I personally enjoy watching him be that competitive dog, win and lose.

Added perspective...I haven't worn my Orton, Edwards, Losman, Manuel, Taylor jerseys in quite some time. And no, I didn't get a Peterman one...did anyone?

Edited by InTheBuffAllTheTime

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.